Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2010, 03:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Possibly The Brightest DIY LED Commercial Mod

I've been playing around with LED's specifically Luxeon Rebel Led's I took one of my Proxima DP8000 projectors and hacked it up just to see what I could do. I used 9 LED's 3 of each color mounted on a chipset heatsink. I bypassed all of the light engine junk and color filters. The LED's shine direct to the polars of the LCD's I am running them at 1000ma.

Taking measurements the projected size was 60 inches and I measured the output between 480-520 Lux with a white image projected. Some pictures are attached. This is just beta testing I am looking for a better projector to use these LED's in.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th March 2010, 12:51 PM   #2
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ywh
great!
can you show your LED? please remove the LED lens to take picture.
you will get great picture if you can use a normal digital camera , but not a mobile
Old 10th March 2010, 06:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is seriously awesome

I've been waiting for some time to see someone use 3 LEDs for each LCD (as I recall the idea having been thrown around here a short while ago)

You do realise that you're going to have to do a full analysis of what you did (ok, so you don't HAVE to, but it would be great)

But that is very impressive

Nicely done!
Old 12th March 2010, 05:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

This was basically a proof that It would work. The Optics I choose where actually focused too tight for the 1.3 inch LCD's I either need a projector with smaller LCD's or different lenses. The image was very bright with the setup but the edges suffered. I had no idea what my lumen output was I could watch it with a light on tho.

Here are a few more details.
Power input 3Amps
Lumen Input - 969 Lumens
R-255LM
G-540LM
B-174LM

The lenses are about 90% efficient so I figure I am getting about 870 total lumens in. If the LCD panels are only 25% efficient I should still get around 200 lumens output.

I will be ordering a more efficient projector and performing this mod. I have about $125 in materials so far but with a 50,000 life on the LED's its worth it.....More to come soon!!
Old 12th March 2010, 05:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For YWH.....They sure are TINY!!!
Old 12th March 2010, 01:35 PM   #6
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ywh
what is the model of this LED?
Old 12th March 2010, 05:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Luxeon Rebel
Old 12th March 2010, 05:14 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Like I said, I had heard about the concept before (and it was most likely you that pitched it) and I had seen something similar from Phlatlight describing how hey would use a similar tech of 3 Leds

But I am quite amazed. Literally. The fact that much brighter LEDs are available and these are the results you're getting so far,I am very impressed

Looking forward to more details
Old 29th April 2010, 02:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello , i found the LEDd that you use but i am more interested which lens are you using ? Narrow ,medium or wide ?
I am really impressed of your experiment .
What is happening with the color balance when the LEDs are different in power .
is there an option to balance the image of the projector throw the software so not loosing any power .
Thanks in advance .
Great job and good luck in the future experiments.
Old 29th April 2010, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

This is AWESOME. I've always enjoyed your work CrazyGuy. I'm thinking that this can be vastly improzed using the same method but on LCoS but they are just too dear. How bright is it? I've actually got a Toshiba LED DLP projector (TDP-FF1A). Have attached it so I can show off this beauty. Been meaning to open it up and have a nose inside but just can't make the time these days. That Toshiba pushes out 35 Lumens. Not good for movies just the odd presentations. What do you reckon your mod does?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04887.jpg (111.5 KB, 670 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!