Possibly The Brightest DIY LED Commercial Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been playing around with LED's specifically Luxeon Rebel Led's I took one of my Proxima DP8000 projectors and hacked it up just to see what I could do. I used 9 LED's 3 of each color mounted on a chipset heatsink. I bypassed all of the light engine junk and color filters. The LED's shine direct to the polars of the LCD's I am running them at 1000ma.

Taking measurements the projected size was 60 inches and I measured the output between 480-520 Lux with a white image projected. Some pictures are attached. This is just beta testing I am looking for a better projector to use these LED's in.

IMG00072.jpg

IMG00073.jpg

IMG00075-1.jpg

This is seriously awesome

I've been waiting for some time to see someone use 3 LEDs for each LCD (as I recall the idea having been thrown around here a short while ago)

You do realise that you're going to have to do a full analysis of what you did (ok, so you don't HAVE to, but it would be great)

But that is very impressive

Nicely done!

This was basically a proof that It would work. The Optics I choose where actually focused too tight for the 1.3 inch LCD's I either need a projector with smaller LCD's or different lenses. The image was very bright with the setup but the edges suffered. I had no idea what my lumen output was I could watch it with a light on tho.

Here are a few more details.
Power input 3Amps
Lumen Input - 969 Lumens
R-255LM
G-540LM
B-174LM

The lenses are about 90% efficient so I figure I am getting about 870 total lumens in. If the LCD panels are only 25% efficient I should still get around 200 lumens output.

I will be ordering a more efficient projector and performing this mod. I have about $125 in materials so far but with a 50,000 life on the LED's its worth it.....More to come soon!!

Like I said, I had heard about the concept before (and it was most likely you that pitched it) and I had seen something similar from Phlatlight describing how hey would use a similar tech of 3 Leds

But I am quite amazed. Literally. The fact that much brighter LEDs are available and these are the results you're getting so far,I am very impressed

Looking forward to more details

Hello , i found the LEDd that you use but i am more interested which lens are you using ? Narrow ,medium or wide ?
I am really impressed of your experiment .
What is happening with the color balance when the LEDs are different in power .
is there an option to balance the image of the projector throw the software so not loosing any power .
Thanks in advance .
Great job and good luck in the future experiments.

This is AWESOME. I've always enjoyed your work CrazyGuy. I'm thinking that this can be vastly improzed using the same method but on LCoS but they are just too dear. How bright is it? I've actually got a Toshiba LED DLP projector (TDP-FF1A). Have attached it so I can show off this beauty. Been meaning to open it up and have a nose inside but just can't make the time these days. That Toshiba pushes out 35 Lumens. Not good for movies just the odd presentations. What do you reckon your mod does?

Attachments

• DSC04887.jpg
    DSC04887.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 819
You can't remove the lamp like you can do with normal projectors. I will have to open the projector up to get to the LED Lamp. I will definately open this up for guys and take some shots but I just cannot make the time. Will definately keep you posted and hopefully by the end of this month I will have some time on my hands. I think the setup will be like a standard DLP with a colour wheel but really can't be sure until it's open.

Hi!

Probably my construction is biggest.
I used 60 pcs of XR-E colour LED's. :)

19_1263031835.jpg

49_1263032065.jpg

87_1263032065.jpg

80_1263032065.jpg

Luminosity of this projector was great but due to problem with color correction I decided to stop this project. LED's have different color depth than original light source (dichroic filters) and it was impossibile to correct mainly very deep red.

Three years ago I buld a 4-LED projector that all this time work very good.

99_1251180053.jpg

2_1251180142.jpg

54_1251180242.jpg

49_1251180344.jpg

82_1251182795.jpg

97_1251180385.jpg

Best regards

saymon

I see that I have sparked the creative talents of others with some custom mods. I have been very busy finishing school and with other projects. I still have some mods that I would like to attempt and work on.

I however have started to post all my work on my own page. I dont wish to steal any thunder from diyaudio but it is easier for me to keep track of my personal projects, help others and answer questions all in one central area.

Come have a look if you are still an active modder.
projectionforums.com • Index page

CFG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.