Things Newbies Should Know - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2005, 11:33 PM   #101
justme is offline justme  United States
diyAudio Member

Default yep

Guy Grotke

Yep, you're right. I totally ignored the reflective part even though I remember reading it. I was just thinking that since I already had the optics it would be neat. Unfortunately they're not for a set of reflective LCDs. I suppose that for this kind of thig you would have to use an extra set of fs mirrors to redirect the light reflected from the LCDs into the prism. Or do they even use a prism for this type? I doubt that I could pull it off anyway, I've never been very good at sneaky stuff.
Old 20th May 2005, 07:09 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Question searching for my lcd

ok, searching for a lcd, i found my old compaq presario 1700T, and it has a 1024 x 768, 60 hertz refresh rate, 32 bit color

is that good enough

I'm wondering, am i going to run into problems if i try to use a laptop lcd, this is going to be my first project but i would still like to take the time tobuild a quality projector

p.s. - i have scoured this site for about a week, but i haven't found any actual plans for the projectors, am i missing a thread that's got some plan info
Old 20th May 2005, 09:00 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Default problems with laptop LCD

If you just want to use your projector to run windows (or linux), games, and DVDs, then a laptop LCD will work fine. Just use the built-in controller in the laptop to run it, & add a DVD player if needed.

If you also want to show other video sources (ie. TV), then it is much harder. You need hardware that can do real-time video capture for display on your laptop screen, which is hard to find for a laptop. The other option is to find a stand-alone LCD controller board, that will turn your LCD into a video monitor. That will cost you easily twice what a comparable new LCD video monitor would cost. That's why almost nobody does this.

You can buy any number of different 15" XVGA LCD monitors that do 1024 by 768 fast video with terrific contrast ratio, for under $200 US. You can also buy a tv tuner box with XVGA output to drive it, for under $80. Most of those have S-Video inputs which will give you a great picture from a cable box, satellite decoder, or DVD player, as well as a VGA passthrough for driving it from a computer.
Old 20th May 2005, 08:18 PM   #104
justme is offline justme  United States
diyAudio Member

jobailey32

Hi, just some ideas for you:

Toms Hardware used a laptop and an overhead projector in their project.

If your laptop has a DVD drive does it play movies well enough for you?

Do you want to play pc games and is the laptop fast enough to play all the games you want to play?

There are external pc card tv-tuner video capture devices available (expensive in my opinion).

If your laptop is in good working condition, you could sell it and use the money to pay for at least part of your projector project.

Since most people are using different LCDs, light sources and optics the plans for each projector are different.

There are some basic plans here somewhere but I couldn't find them with a quick search. I download most of them and will email them to you if you want.
Old 20th May 2005, 09:34 PM   #105
zimmy is offline zimmy  United States
diyAudio Member

look up LUMENLABS i believe.....
its all about how to build a projector out of
a 15" LCD monitor and a big light bulb.......
or u could just buy a CRT pj...my NEC rocks!.....zimmy
Old 20th May 2005, 09:34 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default projector plans

anything you can send me would be great

i would like to do a compact projector, but i understand that i am very inexperienced and i was wondering if maybe i should try an ohp style projector first. are they easier to build, and if so can i get a decent picture from them
Old 21st May 2005, 09:44 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default starting with an OHP

There is one big problem with OHP-based projectors: They almost all have 10.5" by 10.5" stages, which does not match the size of the most available LCDs. You either use a 15" LCD monitor and get the edges cut off, or a 7" LCD monitor and then don't use much of the available light.

LCD projection panels ARE designed to fit, but they generally are older technology, so they have limited color depth, resolution, contrast ratio, and slow response time.

The other problem: The lamps don't last very long. (Buy some spares on eBay.)

But it is an easy way to start: You will get an image on the screen the first time you turn it on.
Old 17th August 2005, 03:01 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Default I have to ask

When trying to make a thread it comes up with 'Please search the forums'. Now that is fair enough except i have searched the forums ALOT for questions i have had, but like anyone i still have some questions which i hoped to make a concise thread about so i could get my first projector up and running. Could anyone tell me how i can by pass this to make my own thread as i don't think i am trying do something which would be unbenifical to the forum and which may help other people who are new anyway. I have read alot of the FAQs and 'newbie threads' so i do not want to start off on the wrong foot.
Old 17th August 2005, 04:23 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

There is a checkbox to indicate you've searched - look for it when starting a new thread.
Old 17th August 2005, 05:46 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

oh I see, thank you

Hide this!Advertise here!