RESEARCH: On DIY LCD Projector (reflective method)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friend :cool:

I am a Computer Engineer and searching websites for past six months to get an idea/plan of making my own LCD video projector. For this, I have purchased a 5.6 inches color LCD monitor and tried to follow the plan with diagrams as given by Bill Saunders on the page:

"http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm"

But the results were NIL and I got depressed. Now that I see that so many bright people out there in this forum have already tried so much; so I feel motivated to re-work on idea.

I have encountered following problems: - :confused:
-------------------------------------------------

1) Since the concept of projector is based on direct reflection method and not on transmissive method, I am hardly able to project picture of LCD screen (even in the darkest room) - all I can see on the wall after projection, is a lot of bright light coming from the lamp or the image of lamp itself. I was using white halogen lamp (75 watt).

2) So I decided that I won't use additional light source and experiment with just the backlight of LCD monitor alone in the dark room. A convex lens of dia 50 mm and focal length 10 cm was used and what I found is that full area of visible 5.6 inch LCD screen could not be converged for projection and a lot of spherical aberration was just diffusing the image to make matters worse! Then I even tried lens from old OHP (dia=100 mm, f=30 cm)but in vain,

I would be very grateful to you if you could suggest me some solutions to these problems. (I don't want to open up my LCD monitor and remove the backlight for transmissive method)

Any new plan/drawings or ideas will be most welcome and I would like to discuss and appreciate the same!!

Hope to get your reply soon.

Thanks and Bye,

Er. Ashish Dutt.

Reflective doesn't work, you must use transmissive as we are ALL doing.

Look at this website...It gives the best overall idea in pictures:

(this is a link) But don't use the same bulb as it is a monster bulb (this is a Link)

Then start reading the threads with the most recent posts, and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Use this Forum's Search Engine...Most any keyword you can think of has already been discussed. But be sure you search in this "DIY Projector" area and not in the whole FOrum.

By the way...What are LCD and other computer parts and lamp bulb and projector prices like in India?

Do they make their own LCDs (like everything else)?

Thanks all for reply!

Thanks 'Property' for your quick response and kind guidance !!

I have to make it clear that since I'm not using LCD projection panel used for tranmissive projection, but a 5.6'' LCD monitor of digital portable LCD TV used in cars, so I think I need to dismantle it for transmissive projection method that you have recommended.

As far as I have read on DIY LCD projector forums, it is a very risky affair to disassemble mini LCD TV monitors as ribbon cable is very fragile (it may break), two PCBs can'nt be opened wide apart to allow much light to cross thorugh translucent LCD screen and alignment of fibre links to LCD are very precise ~ 1/100 mm.

tHeReFoRe, ANYBODY COULD PLEASE TELL ME IN DETAIL THE RIGHT METHOD OF MANUALLY DISMANTLING A DIGITAL MINI LCD TV MONITOR AND REMOVE ITS BACKLIGHT FOR TRANSMISSIVE PROJECTION - I WOULD BE HIGHLY OBLIGED !

As far as costs are concerned - LCD screens are very expensive since they are not readily available. India do not manufacture LCDs as most of these are imported from Taiwan / Singapore etc. May be in near future their prices come down as technology progresses ... Prices of computer parts have come down drastically, but projectors manufactured by companies like Sony, Sharp, Panasonic etc. are really VERY VERY expensive!!

That's why I thought making one myself, but not successful yet.

Any other help highly acknowledged!!

Regards

Ashish Dutt.

Yeah.. with those 5.6" mini-tv LCDs you might not have nice enough resolution (you want at least 640x480 res for acceptable picture) nor color depth nor response time nor contrast ratio. That's why most here are using 14",15" and laptop LCDs...They are easier to disassemble as well.

HI ace3000_1

Good to hear from you :)

I think you are right - we should use a reflective type LCD in the project I want to do. As far as I know the difference between simple and reflective LCDs is that reflective LCDs have just a mirror behind the LCD screen so as to reflect most of the light falling on it. But I am doubtful that would I need to obtain any light polarizers or filters to do refletive projection ???

One thing more- my mini LCD monitor / portable TV is not a passive type, but it is a active matix TFT LCD display.

Bye!!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
eureka

howdy eureka umm with your lcd being passive it wont be any good for video content, unfortunatly that type of lcd is the slowest or one or of the slowest, u need to get yourself an active matrix type for playing back video content, basically the passive lcd ghosts like leaves trails in movment scenes and if u move a mouse over it the same happens, with a active matrix u dont get any trails but i cant get scan lines, u can eliminate scan lines by opting for a lcd with a time of 30-15ms but be prpared to pay abit more than a passive with a ative tft.

As for polarisers in a reflective setup im not sure, ive never made a reflective projector before but i think for your first projector (asuming that it is) u are probally better off making a transmisive type like what we build in here, they are much easier to setup and construct and posibly more efficient with light. Anyway have a hunt around in the forum there is some stuff and ideas on reflective projectors and lcd displays.

regards Trev

eureka said:
Hello friend :cool:

I am a Computer Engineer and searching websites for past six months to get an idea/plan of making my own LCD video projector. For this, I have purchased a 5.6 inches color LCD monitor and tried to follow the plan with diagrams as given by Bill Saunders on the page:

"http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm"

But the results were NIL and I got depressed. Now that I see that so many bright people out there in this forum have already tried so much; so I feel motivated to re-work on idea.

I have encountered following problems: - :confused:
-------------------------------------------------

1) Since the concept of projector is based on direct reflection method and not on transmissive method, I am hardly able to project picture of LCD screen (even in the darkest room) - all I can see on the wall after projection, is a lot of bright light coming from the lamp or the image of lamp itself. I was using white halogen lamp (75 watt).

2) So I decided that I won't use additional light source and experiment with just the backlight of LCD monitor alone in the dark room. A convex lens of dia 50 mm and focal length 10 cm was used and what I found is that full area of visible 5.6 inch LCD screen could not be converged for projection and a lot of spherical aberration was just diffusing the image to make matters worse! Then I even tried lens from old OHP (dia=100 mm, f=30 cm)but in vain,

I would be very grateful to you if you could suggest me some solutions to these problems. (I don't want to open up my LCD monitor and remove the backlight for transmissive method)

Any new plan/drawings or ideas will be most welcome and I would like to discuss and appreciate the same!!

Hope to get your reply soon.

Thanks and Bye,

Er. Ashish Dutt.

-----------------------------------------------------

5.6" lcd ...!!!!!

I am frm india...where did u buy that..how much it costs..

I thought only 14-15" lcd monitors shud be used.....

pls tell the brand name of that lcd...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

eureka said:
I am a Computer Engineer and searching websites for past six months to get an idea/plan of making my own LCD video projector. For this, I have purchased a 5.6 inches color LCD monitor and tried to follow the plan with diagrams
But the results were NIL and I got depressed.
Er. Ashish Dutt.
Could you build your DIY LCD Projector? If so what has been your experience so far? This is just out of curiosity/

Re: Thanks all for reply!

eureka said:
Thanks 'Property' for your quick response and kind guidance !!

I have to make it clear that since I'm not using LCD projection panel used for tranmissive projection, but a 5.6'' LCD monitor of digital portable LCD TV used in cars, so I think I need to dismantle it for transmissive projection method that you have recommended.

I currently use one of your same type car lcds. They are very dark in color compared to my other lcds. So, the only light that i have been able to get to work, is the overhead projector lights. I currently have the 250w mr16 or something like that. It has a reflector that sends light through very well. I am happy with this setup for my room. I have a boss 5.6" lcd, and getting a 60inch screen. I will do lumen tests tonight, since I just got the meter today in the mail. But you do have to remove everything and make it clear front to back. you can't leave it with the panels on. It has to be disassembled for sure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.