3m 6650 - power supply & general opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power supply photo!

Hi, here is the only pic I can get. It is unclear whether it is a 5 pin din AT type socket. Working on pure assumption (and we all know what assumption is the mother of), I'd imagine it to be fairly likely to be an AT keyboard type socket as they are very standard

The dillema is whether to buy the panel with no power supply. If I could find out what is needed, I can probably build it myself, but if it's not possible to find out , then I won't buy it.

If anyone knows about this panel, I'd appreciate some comments - for example, if it's not very good then it'll save me the trouble!

Attachments

• piccy.jpg
    piccy.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 427
Theres something about psu's in the good panel bad panel thread, heres the relevant part

Hi Acravero and all of you...

I am new to this forum but I have been messing around with LCD panels for a while. I will do a review of all of the ones I have in due course.
The power supply that I use for my Proxima Ovation panels is nothing more than a PC power supply with the cables hacked into. It was the
cheapest way I could find to get +5v +12v and -5v with sufficient amperage! The 5 pin DIN plug is obtained from radio shack, however,
I have been known to just stuff the wires in the holes. The great thing about PC power supplies is that they trip out when you short 'em!
Just turn it off and on and you are good to go again!

Looking at the side of your panel, from left to right in the semi circle of pins in the power input plug, connect the following from a PC power supply...

0v - Black / -5v - White / 0v - Black / +12volts - Yellow / +5v - Red

Check the power supply outputs if you are unsure whether it is a standard AT power supply. You will 99% of the time find that the color codings
are right no matter what manufacturer it came from

If you wanna get snazzy, buy an enclosure and some fairly heavy 5 core cable. Keyboard cables do NOT work, they will not carry sufficient
current to the panel even though it is tempting to use the connector.

I have found the best (read cheapest) source for PC power supplies is old computers in charity shops.

Have Fun!

Dan

PS Does anyone have the pinouts for an InFocus PowerView 950 power supply?

I know that for a different panel than the 3m but the socket looks the same, maybe the voltages are the same too? Seen that panel on ebay too but cant find out much about it, thats the chance you take i guess.

Freebie, thats the power supply for the proxima ovation, that could be substantially different then the 3m power supply. Hummm you cant get access to any more pictures? can you email the seller /buisness and ask them what the ps input looks like and what mabe it says on the back of the panel?

Maybe...

I suppose the voltage might be written somewhere on the pcb, this is fairly common place - but it's taking a chance... I guess I was hoping that someone might actually have one and own a multimeter and be prepaired to give up a few mins for me!!! Or maybe someone's built there own already?

Thanks for all your help so far guys
Ben

I think I have the high bid on this panel at the moment....I'm taking a chance that it will work with either a spare ovation PSU or spare infocus PSU that I have.... I think it uses a standard VGA cable for PC connection. If not, I will try and DIY a solution, or just re-auction the thing!!
The big worry for me is not finding the leads / PSU, but how many dead pixels the thing as!
I'm just wondering now how high the price will go - if it gets into 3 figures, you can count me out!

Henrik_Mork

I bought one of your proxima panels (£195), but I also won an auction for a 3M 5300, just waiting for the seller to contact me re payment. Obviously the panel youre bidding on is a later version and higher spec than the 3m I won, but possibly the power supplies are the same. If you or pearlman end up winning the panel I could test the pin outs on that if youd like. I dont have a multi meter but I'm sure I could borrow one from somewhere. Again I'm assuming that the PSU's are the same, before someone points out the panels are different!! lol.

Wow thanks Maqajab

Wow that's really nice of you!

A close up phot of the socket wd be great, but the following would suffice without a photo:

1 - you said 100 - 250 v that's the INPUT voltage, there would be another figure there somewhere for the output voltage - probably on the transformer block on the mains lead. 1.2A sounds about right tho.

2 - on the 7 pin connector, are all the 7 pins in a continuous arc, evenly spaced out, or are they irregularly configured, ie 5 -space- two or something?

3 - is the socket itself the same size as a midi or din type plug? I assume it is.

Many many thanks,

Ben

Is this a nearly 100% British thread??

Yes Freebie, thats a good idea

As you know I don't really have the same hunger to bid high on panels these days, but I still may get this one - we'll see how the auction goes.....
By the way, your panel is packaged up ready to go - just waiting for clearance on the cheque.
You'll love it - it is one of the best panels available, and widely acknowledged as so.
(If only the contrast ratio was a little higher it would be No.1 ..... in my opinion!)

I got in late on this whole deal as well, but got my Powerview from the USA really cheaply with no cables or PSU - untested. I took a risk, but got these accessories cheaply / for free and the panel worked a treat.
A lot of people are scared off by these panels if they don't come with leads as they need proprietary ones which you can only get from Infocus - The Cable Wizard system retails for around $150.00 or something crazy like that. You can get a Cable Wizard Lite really cheap - but Infocus don't advertise that fact so you have to do some research.

Even at these inflated prices, if you get a good panel, and a half-decent OHP you are onto a real winner. I know people paying £500 GBP for a 32" widescreen TV that looks matchbox-sized viewing compared to my set up. Even people who fork out £1200 GBP or whatever for a basic entry-level SVGA Sony home LCD projector aren't really getting any better performance (apart possibly from contrast ratio) - and they are more limited in terms of image size and brightness than we are. They will often need a huge throw distance to get a 120" image - most lounges / bedrooms aren't big enough for this. Also, who wants to pay £250 GBP for a replacement bulb when a 400W / 36V halogen costs £8.50 and takes 10 seconds to change?
I know OHP bulbs only last 50 - 100 hours, but its much easier to find £8.50 three or four times a year than £250 all in one hit.

Apart from the age old debate about contrast ratio - the best of these old panels are still excellent, excellent value. The DIY'ers on this site have shown that building high spec "home-made" panels from LCD monitors for use with modified OHP's is viable and workable - only limited by time, money, (and the occassional accident!).

I'll get off my soapbox now - but just one thing, the Powerview is native 800x600, but does compressed XGA 1024 x 768. How you use it to view movies is upto you. As you know DVD format is 768x576 (or something very close to that!) So in one sense anything above that resolution is unecessary (unless you're using a line doubler or a PC based DVD player running above SVGA).
I watch all movies at 800 x 600 (my preference, I think it looks better).
1024 x 768 looks fine, but if you have a lot of text on screen, say for instance if you're using PowerPoint slides, some of the fonts can look slightly "clipped".

Getting completely off thread now

The primary reason I wanted to get one together was to watch films, as I was sick of watching em on my 17" monitor. I suppose I could have connected my pc to my tv, or bought a dvd player but wheres the fun in that? Originally I was only looking to do a 48" screen for my pc room, but plans have a habit of changing and am now looking bigger than that!!

Henrik_Mork, would like to see some shots of your set up, and results, or a link if youve posted them somewhere allready?

And everyone youve gotta check out the diy projector II forum from page 83 onwards, its hilarious. Did I lmao, yes I did.

Back to the 6650 psu. The seller for my 3m 5300 has been in touch and ive sent cheque so should imagine will get it in 10 days or so, so the offer of testing the pinouts still stands. I see youre still in front Henrik with 3 hrs to go.

That was the best bit of speach eer written on this site, the lamps are so cheap and so what if you dont use them for 2000 hours before replacing, WHO WATCHES 200 HOURS IOF MOVIES ANYWAY!) I love this idea its cheap and a good way to get over the novelty factor of the whole big screen thing without spending thousands.

You got any pics of your results henrik? I'd love to see more results int hese forums but it seems people are still collecting the parts.

All I want is a bigscreen TV :), gotta wait for this ohp off ebay to come and I'm there!

lots of love
maggyjabby

Got room for a 50MB download?

I must really get some stills of my projector - I took some video recently, my father-in-law wants to see the thing in action - he is intrigued by the concept, but lives 240 miles away, so I burnt five minutes of footage onto a disc in .wmv format 480*340 a 4Mb/s.

It came out really clear and bright..I took some footage of a movie trailer in 4:3 ratio, and then the Dolby Digital welcome thingy where the helicopter flies through the cinema doors + some other stuff as well as PC applications in action where I could zoom right in and out slowly to show how pixel sharp the 70" image I was using was.
A lot of people complain that you can't really get good screen shots with a still camera, but I will see what I can do. The set up itself is a bit disorganised at the moment with a tripod screen in the middle of my lounge. We are about to move house, so in our new place I will get a wall mounted 100" screen and build a trolley / cabinet for the OHP, etc...+ loads of other plans for surround sound, etc..!!! heheheh!
But I must say the screen shots are quite impressive. Watch this space....

As a footnote, have you guys looked at the NEC 1545v thread - thee guy there says this retrofitted dismantled monitor put any panel completely in the shade "on a different planet". This must really be awesome.
When I first got duped into the 100" TV scam and bought some lenses and plans off ebay, I was pleasantly suprised that I did actually get a result with my upside-down TV set - but that is in a different universe to what I have now.

Have a good evening!

No Probs.

Sure Freebie.

I will have to unseal the carton, but it might indeed be helpful for you to see this footage for comparison purposes.
My Powerview has 2 dead pixels - one just right of centre, and one near the bottom left corner. This might reassure you as I can only see them on certain scenes if I look up close. Incidentally, your PV has no dead pixels.
You'll just have to put up with my dull narration.

Well, we're well and truly off-thread now, so better call it day before the moderators do it for us!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.