Commercial Projector Ballast Bypass Guide - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2009, 03:04 PM   #11
cfeole is offline cfeole  United States
diyAudio Member

This is the ballast and these are the only small wires coming from it. These wires are the ones I will jumper to ground on a screw holding the main board down. No lamp in power up and should stay on with no errors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballast.jpg (17.2 KB, 1227 views)
Old 8th April 2009, 11:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

It worked!!!! Look at post 4 above to see small connector from ballast to main board. The white wire was the correct wire. The unit stayed on with no errors. As soon as I pulled the jumper off the unit showed the error. Now I just need to re lamp it, and so far I only have 50.00 in it. What lamp have you used on your projectors?
Old 8th April 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Take a look at some of my other threads. I'd like to keep this one ballast bypass only.
Old 25th April 2009, 09:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So if i understand this correctly if i bypass the ballast on my pj by grounding the correct pin or wire i can sub the bulb in the original housing and use it like the original, so do i have to have an alternative external power source to power the lamp seperately from the pj or it should power up from the same psu in the pj?
Old 26th April 2009, 02:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I am no expert! I bypassed the the main board not the ballast. In fact I removed the ballast alltogether. I removed the original failed bulb and installed a car lamp. Sadly not bright enough.but i will purchase a bulb and ballast from I think ymh for around 80.00 . That is what I recommend u do.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:21 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Yeah thats what i did too. I took out the ballast and poked around a bit. Found the correct set of wires. Then grounded each one. Pin 2 looked like it was right. PJ powers up, shows green LED like its running, goes past striking phase cause immediately after the color wheel spins and then its fine for a few seconds, but no picture. Its almost as though its fine and then all of a sudden its " oh wait, the lamp is bad" and then shuts off and gives me the replace lamp code...... Should i throw the ballast back in and keep the grounded wires off the ballast and see if there is some sort of sensor on the ballast that needs to run?
Old 5th May 2009, 06:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi, you should leave your balast intact if there are other wires/sensors attached, it will do exactly what you are describing.
Old 6th May 2009, 07:28 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The ballast should be completly removed. Leave the connector plugged into the main board and unplug from the ballst. These are the ones that you work with. You can connect wires on the ballast all day long. The ballast might try to start but the projector gets no signal.

If you follow the guide step by step it will work.
Old 17th June 2009, 05:15 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Just did another Proxima....grounded the 3rd wire and its up and running.
Old 19th June 2009, 02:42 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Hitachi PJ-TX100

Hello to all,

I have a Hitachi PJ-TX100 I am trying to fit an alernative light source to.
Can anybody help me with bypasing the ballast?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!