Commercial Projector Ballast for DIY?? Need Electronic Wiz!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else > The Moving Image > DIY Projectors

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2009, 01:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Commercial Projector Ballast for DIY?? Need Electronic Wiz!!

I have been cleaning up the scrap pile and have salvaged a few power supples and ballasts from some junk projectors. I recently bought an Osram Powerball 150w hid. I crushed the jacket and removed the lamp and am retrofitting it into a Toshiba reflector.

I have looked and I cant find a ballast this small that is cheap.

My problem comes with as how to power this. I have a 165W UHE AC ballast. The ballast is very very well made and its smaller than a 1$ bill. I am able to get the lamp powered on with all the old projector guts hooked up fans and everything required. I am working on trying to eliminate all that junk and just keep the power supply and ballast. This thing is really really blinding bright coming out of the reflector. I am not worried about overdriving the lamp by 15w. The lamp is rated 12000-20000 hours. It will be a perfect retrofit. 4200k 90CRI

From playing with the control wires I am able to get the ballast to start the ignitor but it will never come on. I am wondering if theres a way to bypass the control circuit.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 5th April 2009, 08:17 AM   #2
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ywh
there are 3 optical coupler, try to optical coupler some one, like my picture you can find your need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballast.jpg (83.2 KB, 347 views)
Old 5th April 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

YWH you never cease to amaze me. GREAT WORK!!!This ballast has 4 wires going to it. I assume they are lamp enable lamp lit ground and economy mode. I will try to short the lamp enable and lamp lit and see what happens.

Do I short the optocouplers or do I connect one to another?
Old 5th April 2009, 03:58 PM   #4
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

short the 1,2,3 with a screwdriver, dont bother, never explode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img00044.jpg (45.7 KB, 326 views)
Old 5th April 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok i will try this soon as I get home and post results. If it powers on I will add a switch to control on/off. Thank you
Old 6th April 2009, 02:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok I soldered wires to them to test shorting them. The ballast still only does the ignition and does not stay on. What else can I try? I did hook it back up to the main board and it powered right on. I am missing something...
Old 6th April 2009, 04:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I found the problem the power supply was only putting out 165v until powered on. Then it gives the full 360V. I am going to try to reverse engineer the power supply and make my own.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:34 AM   #8
ywh is offline ywh
diyAudio Member

you have to get 220v, Then commutate ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_5188.jpg (47.7 KB, 312 views)
Old 7th April 2009, 12:12 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I dont really have 220 available around the house by inspecting the power supply I can see this setup for 120V.

I measure after the diode bridge and I get 165V. How is this boosted to the 350? Do they use another 1/2 bridge?
Old 7th April 2009, 03:00 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

After following the circuit more I see that the 165v is fed into a high current high speed transistor and another diode. The transistor seems to be controlled by a switching circuit. This seems a little complex for diy.

Hide this!Advertise here!