Proxima/Infocus DP8000 Lamp Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After playing around with a few different projectors and alternate lamp mods I have come up with a combiation that gives excelent results. I have a working DLP version but with the light tunnel alot of the light is lost. Using an LCD projector alot more of the available light is used.

Here's a list of what I used and pictures.
Projector - Proxima DP8000
Lamp - Automotive HID 35W Philips 85122
Ballast - Toyota Denso

I would avoid china ballasts and lamps they are nowhere near the the brightness and quality of the OEM's I have tried them and was not impressed.
IMG00009.jpg

The lamp was removed from the socket and test fitted into the reflector to achieve maximum brightness. Then the lamp was secured in place with high temp automotive silicone. These lamps dont get near as hot as the stock lamps. It may be necessary to bore out the reflector if the hole is too small. I used a 3/8ths diamond bit available here. http://www.drillglass.com/drillingglass1.html
IMG00010.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

IMG00015.jpg

65inch Lights On
IMG00017.jpg

65inch Lights Off
IMG00019.jpg

These pics were taken with the ballast running at the stock 35W. The ballasts can be boosted to 65W and give a much brighter picture. There also is a 50W version of the lamp available but double the price. The lamps average around $40 for the 35W and have a reasonable life.
The next step is to get a Bosch OEM ballast and make a 12V 6amp power supply and mount everthing inside the stock case. I will be shooting for boosting the ballast to 50W for better brightness. Total cost - $160 the majority of that the lamp and ballast, but for about 1/3 of the cost of a new lamp I have a sweet HD projector.

I ordered some bosch ballasts which are easily modable. These should let me drive the lamps to 70W and give me about 8500 lumens from a nice small arc.

I also have a OSRAM Powerball 150W that I want to try but I am waiting on some ballast info I posted in another thread.

PSU Xexon lamp

Yeah the 12V PSU,but what are the specs . Here in India its difficult to get these right of the shelf so it has to be diy. I'm in the automobile industry & car batteries are rated starting @35Amps so my guess is that a 500m\amp 12V supply will not do to light up the HID

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.