would this work?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is a prepackaged version of what I am using. My bulb, socket, magnetic ballast, ans capacitor cost me $108 locally. I had to wire mine. This package is already wired and you apparently have an electronic ballast. Seems a reasonable price.

As to heat, the heat is effectively taken away if you have a good fan blowing past the bulb. I am currently using a 87 CFM 115V 120mm fan rated at 30db. It greatly reduced the heat in the case. Just be sure the entry/exit opening are as large as the fan to allow the air to move with little resistance.

I am fairly happy with my lighting setup. It gives me a 90" screen. To go larger, I need to work out an effective reflector. I think we are close in the other threads to producing one for the 400 Watt MH bulbs.

Mr NY,
What setup are you using?

Ken

YAHHH

wow, i thought i was gonna get flamed for even posting it. Thats great that its usable..

Mavmesa: You said your not using a reflector and it still gives you good light output? Would you say its better than an overhear setup, or could be with a reflector?

The reason i ask is because my ohp setup is good and all but just not as bright as i would like it to be, and I hear the bulb life sucks. So i figured when the bulb blew i would make a projector using metal halide (because it lasts so long).

I wonder if a piece of plexiglass would block much of the heat?

I also emailed the seller and asked if he knew the color temp and lumen output, and he said it is 36000 lumens and he doesnt know the color temp.

Im so happy this might just work. I thought MH was out of the question because i didnt want to mess the wiring up but now things are lookin a lil brighter (pun intended).

How far away from the LCD (projection panel) should this beast of a light be? I plan on putting 2 or 3 fans in.

And can anyone recommend a lens? preferably something focusable, i would rather not make a jenky slide box (100" tv plans).

Actually ideal color temp is 5-6500k for projection.

Ideal at what price? What system puts out that temp at suitable brightness at a low price?

poohbear,
You will need a fresnel lenses like the one at DIYLABS if you are using an lcd desktop monitor or a projection panel. If you are using a 5" or similar lcd car display panel, then a couple of back to back page magnifiers would work. My design is just a modification of Alan's at DIYLABS. Brightness is relative. In a room with no other light source, this setup is fairly bright if the size is 60" to 90".

Ken

I can read every post on this forum, but that does not mean that I will recall everything I have read. I have read the vast majority, and do not recall one way to do an inexpensive 5-6500K lighting system. I have to go with methods I see working ... and Alan's works.

You seem to be extremely bias against the MH setups. That is why I asked you to share your system so I would understand your comments. It would also be helpful for Pooh Bear to know how much you have spend on your system and how likely it is that we could duplicate your results for the same price.

If your system is really that great, do us a service and put the details on a web site as Alan did so we can all build one.

Ken

hmm

I havent been to alans site in so long! I finally went and my dumbass realized the MH setup i asked about was the same one he linked from his site!! I feel so dumb but at the same time im happy because it just confirms that it will work, and ive always been really impressed with the results on his page. Someone on his page said they only used a 150 watter and the results are also amazing.

Mavmesa: are you using a reflector?

Poohbear: No reflector yet. I have the lamp 14" behind the fresnel and the fresnel as close as I can get it to the LCD panel.

jcbklyny: Touche. Good point. Alan does have an economic interest in the site. ..though I doubt he makes much. He does offer his information freely. Have you posted pictures and plans of your setup anywhere that we can see? I really want to see the setup.

Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.