Inexpensive DLP Bulb Replacement? LED alternative??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My beautiful year old dlp tv just died on me after a nearby lightning storm rolled in. The video went out while I can still hear audio.

I'm hoping its something I could cover under my electric insurance, but if not I'd love to do whatever possible to pay as little as possible for the replacement bulb. These thing died in a matter of 19 months!

It would just make so much more sense if I could get the same thing out of a durable energy efficient LED lamp than I could get from my EXPENSIVE and short lived DLP Bulb.

As it stands I'm finding multiple user depictions of bulbs from different manufactures poweing the tv, so why not one that's an LED?

Anyone have an alternative to get these under the $500 the one bulb is going to cost me?

TV model number is: Infocus 62md10
One person says there bulb is a Philips :
Philips

Another says RCA lamp (part# 265109)

I'm wondering if there's a DIY way around this.

Thanks.

Well, I would look at the bulb itself and check out the specs like arc length, the reflector's focal length, the bulb's lumens and color charts. It's absolutely possible to find a solution, you just have to make a bulb and reflector fit. Also take heat into consideration.

The thing with these expensive bulbs is they generally have VERY short arc lengths compared to the relatively long arc lengths used in DIY. Hence why they are $500 and the bulbs in DIY are $40. You'll notice that most bulbs with a short arc length are very expensive.

Good luck!

Hi,
I had the same thing going on with my HD61THW263. I had gone through 3 lamps before a smart tech decided to check the baliss that powers the lamp. Since the baliss was fixed it has been 2 1/2 years and no lamp prolems. If you haven't gotten an answer I hope this one helps a bit.

It's nice that DLP TV bulb prices are dropping so much lately. Replacing one used to be so pricey, but at least now the cost is only an arm instead of an arm and a leg. lol.

I replaced the first DLP lamp after 8300 hrs in 2007 for $120. That one ran 10400 hrs and I replaced it for $80. When that one died last November there were other problems not practical to repair so I junked it. The replacement 55" LED LG set was a little more than a third of what we paid for the DLP. The DLP consumed a little over 200 Watts. The LED set is brighter, clearer and has deeper blacks, is full 1080 (the DLP was 720) and does it on 78 Watts. No need to fiddle with projectors any more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.