DIY HiFi Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
News

1. Obbligato caps: We have 18 values from 0.047 to 47uf
2. The Tram II is coming. DHT (2A3) with tube rectification and FCUPS P:USH POWER with UVC. More to come.

Some Background Info - plastics, ferrites, bad; paper, silver, carbon, copper good

DIY Hifi Supply started with 3 kits from a well known Chinese manufacturer. Unlike the majority of mainland Chinese tube amp manufacturers that use cheap-and-easy important parts wrapped in a nice chassis, that company is distinguished by making and using their own high quality chokes and output transformers. Our early kits were basically versions of assembled commercial products with their vintage circuits and offered together with parts upgrades.

However, with the help of certain creative minds in the DIY world, we have since implemented leading-edge circuits (both classic and modern), added many new parts options and now purchase from many international sources for chassis, transformers, and components. We source only the best parts which we (currently staff of six) consolidate into our kit offerings here in Hong Kong. We sell both direct and through a network of small DIY-focussed dealers.

I believe we have achieved something quite special. We are now able to offer amorphous core (much too expensive to be used in commercial products) transformers and chokes at reasonable prices. The core material comes from Germany and is wound here by ex-military career professionals trained in magnetics. Even our standard line uses cores from Germany and Japan. Chokes are made with an air gap and varnished paper. Plastics and polymers are avoided. Our Obliggato capacitors are made with high quality German films, wound extra tight without voids. Cases are non-metallic, dry caps are copper cased. It all makes a major difference to the enjoyment we get from the finished product. We also import many parts only available in Europe, Japan and America, such as silver wire, tantalum resistors, switches, and paper-in-oil capacitors. In short, our mission is to use the best known ingredients from around the world and blend together with local low costs for tooling, chassis parts, transformer components, carbon graphite and even digital technology! This recipe allows us to offer products that would cost 2 to 3 times as much for equivalent features if produced in home markets. For the first time since the 1960's you can now buy high quality tube gear at solid state prices. This fact opens the door to the world of tube sound for many and that must be a good thing for the tube industry.

But we aren't stopping at tube amps. We are the foremost distributor of reasonably priced TVC products. We are the first to offer a complete LCR phono stage.

Last edited:
New Ultimate Teflon tube sockets

UX4, octal, noval with fine segmented pin grippers, teflon. $28USD/pc including bracket.

Attachments

• teflonsockets.jpg
    teflonsockets.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 8,302
You say everything is included right... What about resistors? That is my question, it has none on it in the picture. I assume you need resistors for this to work, for the volume.... Aside from that it looks AWSOME and like it will be my new choice for volume control most likely.

What do you recommend for power supply? I would probably just throw in a transformer (and diodes)? Would up to 15v work? Regulated required? Sorry is "power block" explains it already but I would not know.

These are magnetic repulsion supports. Self centreing can be used to float and decouple equipment and speakers.

regards
Brian

Floating ok but I have serious doubts about the decoupling capacity of these devices. This has nothing to do with their machining quality, components quality and finish. It's just physics.
If one of the two magnets is subject to vibrations it will generate a magnetic flux variation and this will be automatically experienced on the other side (the other magnet). So if vibrations are strong enough they will be transmitted. Maybe they work to some degree when you listen at low level but as soon as you rise the volume, already at medium level, they will not have any decoupling capacity.
This idea was applied to (expensive) turntables some years ago and it never really worked....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.