TRAM2 and TVC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 18th February 2012, 10:28 AM   #1
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default TRAM2 and TVC

The TRAM2 sounds great in its current form but nonetheless requires careful gain matching with the power amp to keep noise from intruding.

For example, the TRAM2 works well with my 10Y SET amp with minimum noise at the -9dB output, but has too much gain when paired with my Yamamoto AD1 SET even at -9dB output.

I understand that it is possible to adjust the gain structure by changing the resistors in the output but then it occurs to me that it might actually be better if the vol control is changed to the output rather than at the input.

So the current structure is:

Input Switching -> Ultimate VC -> Triode -> fixed output

What I am thinking is:

Input Switching -> Triode -> Variable output using a TVC/AVC

This way the noise floor will scale with the output level, and thus will enable the TRAM2 to maintain a low noise floor regardless of the gain of the power amp. Plus the TVC output may offer better sound quality than the Ultimate VC.

Does this make sense? If so, is it doable?

Thanks.

Jack
Old 19th February 2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklee View Post
The TRAM2 sounds great in its current form but nonetheless requires careful gain matching with the power amp to keep noise from intruding.
This is unfortunately a characteristic of DHT's...

Quote:
For example, the TRAM2 works well with my 10Y SET amp with minimum noise at the -9dB output, but has too much gain when paired with my Yamamoto AD1 SET even at -9dB output.

I understand that it is possible to adjust the gain structure by changing the resistors in the output
That is basically the recommendation I have.

Quote:
but then it occurs to me that it might actually be better if the vol control is changed to the output rather than at the input.

So the current structure is:

Input Switching -> Ultimate VC -> Triode -> fixed output

What I am thinking is:

Input Switching -> Triode -> Variable output using a TVC/AVC
Sure, this can be done, but not in the existing chassis.

So you would need to go 2-Chassis. it may be easier to adjust the resistors on the output or to add a stepdown line transformer externally.

Ciao T
Old 19th February 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post

Sure, this can be done, but not in the existing chassis.

So you would need to go 2-Chassis. it may be easier to adjust the resistors on the output or to add a stepdown line transformer externally.

Ciao T
Perhaps a larger chassis will also suffice. Two-chassis is also fine and that might further reduce noise radiated from the PS, and also provide more space for heat dissipation.

Changing the vol control to the output could take the Tram2 to the next level, by eliminating the vol control chip at the input in addition to minimizing noise (and decrease output impedance) at the output.

Add remote control to the output TVC then this will be a superb package that I think many will be seriously interested in - I for one will be.

Perhaps worth considering as a TRAM2 SE edition?

Jack

Hide this!Advertise here!