Tram 2 45 tubes - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 5th July 2011, 02:44 AM   #11
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Please do share evaluations of EML45s in the TRAM2. I also have the EML45s but hesitate trying them because of the large tube pins.

I have so far tried in the TRAM2: (a) National Union 2A3; (b) TJ Mesh 45 Globe old version; (c) Tung Sol 45 ST. I can switch between the tubes w/o adjusting anything.

In terms of sonic quality I'd rate NU 2A3 best, TS 45 close second, and TJ Mesh 45 third place. The 2A3 sounds more powerful and fuller, with better sub-bass.

I have also rolled the rectifier a bit. Tried WE274B which caused hums. Next tried RCA5U4 ST which is quite and much better than the Russian equivalent. Then I tried VT244 which sounds similar to RCA5U4 with perhaps slightly thinner sound. So far I like RCA 5U4G best.

I also tried RCA 6AS7G in place of the Russian equivalent. The RCA tubes result in smoother and yet clearer highs. The Russian tubes do appear to give stronger bass in comparison.

Jack
Old 5th July 2011, 08:51 AM   #12
bronal is offline bronal  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jack:
my friend Decky measured the pins on my EML 45s as I had the same concerns as you. Decky measured the small pins as 0.2mm larger than standard and the large pins 2 microns smaller. In Decky's opinion this should not cause problems in changing valves at a later date.

Decky has also measured the internal temperature of the Tram using 45s versus 2A3s. Even with additional heatsinks and vents in the chassis, the 2A3s ran a good 10 degrees Celsisus hotter than the 45s Something to think about in the longer term.

I have some TJ 2A3s that I will be evaluating this weekend. Unless they are noticeably better than my 45s, however, I will stick to 45s for heat control reasons.
Old 5th July 2011, 02:47 PM   #13
jacklee is offline jacklee  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi bronal,

Thanks for the information. I'll check my EML45 tube pins for their exact dimensions.

Running the 2A3 the chassis can get pretty hot but the preamp is stable. I've no experience with the TJ 2A3 but their 45 is not as good as the NOS variants in this pre-amp application.

And I think my TRAM2 could still be undergoing run-in so consider my eval preliminary. Do let us know how it goes with the TJ2A3.

Jack
Old 5th July 2011, 04:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

A lil off topic: is the Sophia Electric 45
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/45.htm a re-badged TJ?
Old 5th July 2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto88 View Post
A lil off topic: is the Sophia Electric 45
http://www.sophiaelectric.com/pages/se/45.htm a re-badged TJ?
They are all "rebadges". The company made them under the label "Full Music" but could not sell under this label, so every retailer uses their own badge.

Like with any tube factory, it matters how well you select. Production is quite variable.

Ciao T
Old 6th July 2011, 03:19 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Like with any tube factory, it matters how well you select. Production is quite variable.
I agree . . any word on Sophia Electric's 45s

Cheers
Old 6th July 2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto88 View Post
I agree . . any word on Sophia Electric's 45s
Not from, sorry. I only know what DIYhifisupply does under the TJ label with tubes assembled in the same factory, with the same parts etc. as the ones labelled Sofia.

Ciao T
Old 14th July 2011, 03:36 PM   #18
dth31 is offline dth31  United States
diyAudio Member

EML45's arrived last night. They fit into the teflon tube sockets easily with absolutely no extra pressure needed at all. Been "burning in" since then. Sound seems to be pretty stable. Will report back more when I get home tonight.

What I CAN say now, unequivocally, is that even with the CD player going into the -3 dB inputs (sorry, but I prefer those to the other inputs--seem to result in greater dynamics and clarity, YMMV), these tubes are QUIET, even with the volume turned up LOUD! YAY!!!

Dave
Old 14th July 2011, 05:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Great! . . what do a pair of EML45's cost?

Cheers
Old 15th July 2011, 12:42 AM   #20
dth31 is offline dth31  United States
diyAudio Member

Probably depends upon where you live/buy. Check out the emission labs website for more details.
Emission Labs - Introduction

In the US, Tubes USA sells the EML45's for $440/pair.
Emission Labs Tubes
George Lenz (at tubesusa) responded VERY quickly to emails, mailed the tubes fast, packed them amazingly securely, and was a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommended.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!