Crescendo: Eureka! 100db from a 30L Cabinet - 65hz to 25khz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Impressive little speaker! Cool stuff, would love to hear a pair.

If you are in HK, there is a pair in the diyhifisupply offices...

There was a review planned in ETM, but it fell through for some reason, IIRC the reviewers listeing room got flooded or something and the pair that had been build up for review was quickly snapped by a customer who happened by.

Ciao T

Hi,

is this still available for audition in hk? im planning to go there on december.

Should be permanently available... Just call or e-mail diyhifisupply a little bit ahead, as they do not really have a shop with normal shop hours, just an industrial unit and some days they are closed and/or manned halve days.

Ciao T

I just fallen in love with speaker concept and I'm slowly leaning from Troels DTQWT to your Crescendo for my next speaker project...

It would just be great if you could film it with a few different types of music on it and post on youtube for us that never have a chance of coming to HK :D
Even with poor sound through camera it is some information...

Last edited:
Hi,

anyone have done the speakers so far?

Probably only me.

Some assembled pairs using pre-made cabinets have sold in HK, no kits at this point, in part because there are no reviews (as the one in Enjoy The Music fell through).

As some had suggested a u-toob video, diyhfs is looking into this.

The Demo setup with the Crescendo Grande system is in a > 100m^2 warehouse, playing something like Saint Saens Organ symphony makes the whole place (including concrete floor) shake, using a Lux 91 300B Amp (so around 16W) to drive the Crescendo's.

They have a "big electrostatic" sound quality to them, sounding very smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing, in a way only ESL's, Ribbons and Magnetic planars do.

I would say that there are no real subjective limitations for this set of speakers, they go very loud cleanly and without effort, play high, low and have a well integrated, natural midrange.

But as I designed them, I would say this, wouldn't I?

Sadly most of the HK people who had a chance to hear them are not on DIYA, so they cannot chip in.

Ciao T

Hi

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was at the DIY workshop last week and I got a chance to hear the Crescendo. Unfortunately my listening session was compromised by the fact that only monoblock was running there - i.e. the left channel, and hence I only could do a 'mono' audition.

I also don't have a trained ear and know little about hifi except for hearing tunes from my Roksan Caspian integrated / Roksan floor standing speakers as a comparison. So how did it sound to me?

The Crescendos go loud. Very loud. The acoustic instruments sounded real and very lively. Regardless of which pre-amp it was paired with (I tried both the Tram2 and the TVC Django), there was good transparency and separation between the different sounds whether it be voice or instruments. There was something quite 'authentic' and 'real' about the sound. Once again, I don't know enough about high end systems to comment with authority, but I did like very much what I heard.

Lucky me - I live in HK and hence the DIY workshop is only 45 minutes drive away. I was disappointed I could only audition one speaker.. But even with one speaker I could hear good separation. I listened to Alison Krauss Live - very nice. Andrea Bocelli - for the first time I realized that his talent includes suddenly altering his voice an extra couple of db to extend it even further!

I don't think I can comment further unless I listen to those speakers again. Actually I was in the workshop to audition the Lux91 monos and Tram2 / Django rather than the speakers. I've since placed an order for the Lux and Django and they should be delivered next week! Can't wait. I just hope my existing Roksan floor standers don't compromise the ability of the pre-amp / power amp too much!

Cheers
HKL

Hi,

Probably only me.

Some assembled pairs using pre-made cabinets have sold in HK, no kits at this point, in part because there are no reviews (as the one in Enjoy The Music fell through).

As some had suggested a u-toob video, diyhfs is looking into this.

The Demo setup with the Crescendo Grande system is in a > 100m^2 warehouse, playing something like Saint Saens Organ symphony makes the whole place (including concrete floor) shake, using a Lux 91 300B Amp (so around 16W) to drive the Crescendo's.

They have a "big electrostatic" sound quality to them, sounding very smooth, detailed and non-fatiguing, in a way only ESL's, Ribbons and Magnetic planars do.

I would say that there are no real subjective limitations for this set of speakers, they go very loud cleanly and without effort, play high, low and have a well integrated, natural midrange.

But as I designed them, I would say this, wouldn't I?

Sadly most of the HK people who had a chance to hear them are not on DIYA, so they cannot chip in.

Ciao T

Thorsten, please stop it.;) You are making my mouth watering like dog in front of meat shop :drool: :D
I have suggested a u-toob video, and am very happy to hear diyhfs is looking into this.
I'm sure it will be a good promotion for speakers and will have a great number of hits...

Hi

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I was at the DIY workshop last week and I got a chance to hear the Crescendo. Unfortunately my listening session was compromised by the fact that only monoblock was running there - i.e. the left channel, and hence I only could do a 'mono' audition.

I also don't have a trained ear and know little about hifi except for hearing tunes from my Roksan Caspian integrated / Roksan floor standing speakers as a comparison. So how did it sound to me?

The Crescendos go loud. Very loud. The acoustic instruments sounded real and very lively. Regardless of which pre-amp it was paired with (I tried both the Tram2 and the TVC Django), there was good transparency and separation between the different sounds whether it be voice or instruments. There was something quite 'authentic' and 'real' about the sound. Once again, I don't know enough about high end systems to comment with authority, but I did like very much what I heard.

Lucky me - I live in HK and hence the DIY workshop is only 45 minutes drive away. I was disappointed I could only audition one speaker.. But even with one speaker I could hear good separation. I listened to Alison Krauss Live - very nice. Andrea Bocelli - for the first time I realized that his talent includes suddenly altering his voice an extra couple of db to extend it even further!

I don't think I can comment further unless I listen to those speakers again. Actually I was in the workshop to audition the Lux91 monos and Tram2 / Django rather than the speakers. I've since placed an order for the Lux and Django and they should be delivered next week! Can't wait. I just hope my existing Roksan floor standers don't compromise the ability of the pre-amp / power amp too much!

Cheers
HKL

Hi HKL, welcome to the forum and I wish you many hours of pleasure with your system. Also I wish you get the chance to hear the stereo setup with crescendo speakers and report again.

Cheers

Hi there,

I have the luck to be in HK recently. I listened to the speakers and I am still very pleased with the sound I heard. The only issue for me is the cabinet, I do not like the current material and finish, it is not in line with the sound the speaker gives.

Is there someone who has an example of a nice cabinet with this speaker combination? It would be nice to get some inspiration.

Hi,

I do not like the current material and finish, it is not in line with the sound the speaker gives.

The Cabinets are cheap prototype cabinets that where based on drawings that make it easy to DIY using minimal tools and wood pre-cut at large building markets etc. and paint finished.

There are no limits to ingenuity regarding the way the cabinets may be made and the materials they can be made from.

When my laptop was nicked a few weeks I lost the drawings I had made for a set of stone enclosure sets for the Crescendo Grande that where to be made from Indian "Black Galaxy Granite":

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The basic design was borrowed somewhat from the YG Acoustics Kipod/Studio", but with more or less inverted colour scheme:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Now of course I have to re-do all the drawings.

Does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a very easy to use/learn drawing program that can produce 3D Renders with surface options, output 2D technical drawings with measurements and easily create exploded assembly drawings?

Ciao T

Hi,

It would likely be several 1000 Euro (still working on the pricing) plus shipping several 100Kg from Hong Kong. It is really only viable for local clients.

You can have a look around for a local shop in Toronto that works with stone.

I will make the plans available once everything done.

The top section will be basically precisely the Crescendo as per plans, the Woofer section will mainly be re-shaped. Oh and of course 25mm Stone instead of 18mm Plywood.

The woofer section can be shaped very freely as long net volume (without port) and port length and crossection are observed.

Ciao T

Hi there,

I have the luck to be in HK recently. I listened to the speakers and I am still very pleased with the sound I heard. The only issue for me is the cabinet, I do not like the current material and finish, it is not in line with the sound the speaker gives.

Is there someone who has an example of a nice cabinet with this speaker combination? It would be nice to get some inspiration.

Well, at least in DIY, the sky is the limit (and somewhat - your wallet) :) Set your imagination free!

Does anyone happen to have a recommendation for a very easy to use/learn drawing program that can produce 3D Renders with surface options, output 2D technical drawings with measurements and easily create exploded assembly drawings?

Ciao T

Thorsten,

I think Google Sketchup: Google SketchUp
is easy enough to learn fast, but I don't know if it fulfills all your demands
Use tutorial videos... it saves time.

Best, Ivica

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.