DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 4th September 2013, 11:20 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Welborne - Thanks for very nice review!
Old 4th September 2013, 11:31 AM   #52
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Welborne,

Thanks a lot for your thorough review! May I ask, which of the two speakers have the most natural (e.g., detailed, articulate, and clear) reproduction of female voices?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Peter
Old 4th September 2013, 11:54 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Hi PK,

I hope Robert of Bastanis won't see this as he has been helpful in many ways and I still love his system, more so today than day 1 as it takes FOREVERRRRR to burn in.

Having heard Bastanis and Crescendo, I can't resist the temptation to replace the compression driver on Bastanis with the Crescendo ribbon horn and I may really do this some day. I love the Big Ribbon Horn, it is one of a kind, combining efficiency of compression horn drivers with ribbon's resolution.

So I have answered your question, haven't I?
Old 4th September 2013, 12:06 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

I would say the Bastanis is harder to get right because of room acoustics issues I talked above, and before you get it right it has a tendency to sound bright, especially on female vocal, especially classic soprano stuffs. The longer they burn in, the smoother this becomes so it may be the issue of the widebanders as the compression drivers hardly need so many hundred hours of burn in. The Crescendo, on the other hand, sounds very smooth yet detailed out right. Things that sound a bit shrilled and peaky on Bastanis sound much more tamed on Crescendo. Which is more truthful to the source? I have no clue. But I have been listening to the Crescendo for the whole last month since I plugged them in again. It is the more forgiving of the two.

Click the image to open in full size.

I actually find the Bastanis dipole 18" bass bin a nice match to the Crescendo. Don't this remind you of Celestion System 6000?

If you are in Hong Kong and want to listen to Crescendo, feel free to contact me by PM

Last edited by welborne; 4th September 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 5th September 2013, 05:50 AM   #55
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Welborne,

Thanks a lot for your elaborations on the differences between the two systems!

Best regards
Peter
Old 5th September 2013, 05:26 PM   #56
Account disabled at member's request

thx for the review

Can we buy the drivers alone and use our own wood and parts to build the crossover and enclsure?
that would be a great solution for diy guys that can only afford less premium parts...
since the mid-bass and horn drivers are listed at 640$ and the xo is also 600$, that could be a great option to either get the xo parts recommended or use cheaper parts.
if so, ill buy a pair!

Last edited by murphythecat8; 5th September 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 6th September 2013, 06:17 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Default Crescendo kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
thx for the review

Can we buy the drivers alone and use our own wood and parts to build the crossover and enclsure?
that would be a great solution for diy guys that can only afford less premium parts...
since the mid-bass and horn drivers are listed at 640$ and the xo is also 600$, that could be a great option to either get the xo parts recommended or use cheaper parts.
if so, ill buy a pair!

I think you can, but you better ask the guys at DHFSY directly. I did see they listed the drivers only a while ago but I don't see it now on their www.
Old 6th September 2013, 01:06 PM   #58
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborne View Post
I think you can, but you better ask the guys at DHFSY directly. I did see they listed the drivers only a while ago but I don't see it now on their www.
yeah
I have sent them a email, lets see.
They were listed before, but now they are not. they were lsited when they were doing clearance...
Old 11th November 2013, 12:32 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Default New listing of Crescendo Horn Ribbon Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by welborne View Post
Sorry of this late posting. There have been sooo much work to reorganize our website. We just re-listed the speakers here with more details http://www.diyhifisupply.com/opcart/...ry&path=178_87

Last edited by DIY Hifi Supply; 11th November 2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11th November 2013, 12:34 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

The link above didn't work. We post the link again.
Cresendo Ribbon Horn Speaker

Hide this!Advertise here!