DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For some reason it's not easy to get the message across, everyone seems to focus on the noise performance only. So I will continue to repeat myself on this:

The sonic improvement with the Rod Coleman DHT regulators is bigger than any other upgrade I have made on my Tram II, including the Full Music 2A3 SE tubes. I even think the sonic improvement with the Rod Coleman regulators is bigger than all the other upgrades combined, especially if the small upgrade with a cap+resistor on the regulator module is made. The better noise performance is just a bonus...

You better buy several values Bjarne, with the fixed resistor arrangement you have to get the value VERY accurate... So get some different values, also for some parallel couplings, for instance like I have 82 ohm // 2K2 in one channel...

Yes, the sound is clearly better when the anode voltage is ''in the zone'' than when it has drifted too low...

My Tram MK2 for SALE in Germany. Assembled and working.
I think I can save time and words about the sound descriptions.
Pictures and Price only to private email addresses.
I will include a pair of (not assembled) Rod Coleman regulators.
I am moving and need to sell my whole rig.
Offer and buy with confidence I have recently sold my Hypex NC400 amps through this very website. I have as well positive marks in Audiomarkt and Ebay.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but just wanted to share, that I now have an all tube system... The Plinius SA-REF is gone and a pair of conrad-johnson LP275M mono blocks has found their way into my system...

The previous owner did not vacuum clean them before shipping, so I had an excuse to take off all the covers and clean the beasts ;) Here are some pics of the internals, c-j does not skimp on part quality in their top-of-line amps: NO electrolytics in the power supply, everything is polypropylene and polystyrene caps... In the audio circuits they use their own teflon caps... Resistors in critical places are Vishay bulk foil... RCA and speaker connectors and most of the wiring is from Cardas etc etc...

Time for tube rolling the input tubes..! Right now I have a nice pair of Telefunken ECC88 from 1964 installed...

EDIT... Sorry, no pictures for now of the c-j's... After photobucket made changes to their site I can't get the upload of pictures to work anymore :( ...!? Anyone of you use photobucket? How do you do it with their new site!?

Last edited:
Ahh... I never noticed that feature... Thanks :) OK; so here are some pics of a pair of nice conrad-johnson tube amps. I was a bit concerned about their gain structure, but it's perfect with the Tram II (still use the middle of the 3 outputs as I did before).

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpg
    IMG_4876.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4933.jpg
    IMG_4933.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_4896.jpg
    IMG_4896.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4900.jpg
    IMG_4900.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 178
Well, you have two options ;) The best one: Stop making mistakes... Or the one that involves a relay in your signal path: Install a relay module that is connected to the mains with it's own little power supply, so that when the mains is connected the replay is closed, and instantly when the mains voltage is gone the replay opens. You can also install the relay so it shorts the output to ground when the mains voltage is switched off, but I don't know if the tubes can handle this. Maybe it's OK because the tube only see the short for a few seconds until the voltages are gone from the tube...

Maybe someone has installed some kind of relay module..!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.