DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone contacted Simon at DIYHIFI Supply with the modifications on this thread to see if they would implement the improvements in their product. This could include a module circuit board of Rod Coleman's regulator. It would be very good to see his regulators and power supply modulized to fit into the Tram2.

Peter

That's essentially what I said. It seems logical and good business sense to me to want to offer an improved product at little or no extra cost. However, the modders don't seem to see it that way.

... It seems logical and good business sense to me to want to offer an improved product ...

Well it seems to me the developers of the Tram2 have applied revisions to the heater regulator cooling design so its very stable with V3. Job done at no cost. A minor change that doesnt seem to warrant a new model revision. If anyone wants to use a different regulator design then to me it seems to be the usual personal upgrade process of DIY , like changing capacitors.

Anyway this is not my prerogative dabbling in what is a designer choice. I imagine the designers having started this thread follow it and are well aware of the possibilities.

On with the modding plans for me. Ill have a Tram2 kit without the usual regs or tubes but with the Coleman regs via the Morten installation plus the Morten Obligatory six output caps per channel on the side and the 2A3SE tubes as a garnish. :eek:

Last edited:
I have sent an e-mail to Simon from DIYHIFI Supply detailing the components Morten has substituted in the Tram2 Pre-amp. I asked if their Research and Development person could look and these components with the possibility of implementing them in the kit or making them available as option on the Tram2 Pre-amp page.

See what happens!!!!

Peter

Thorsten_Danii_Baby_Roxana_s.jpg

........ :worship: .........

That's essentially what I said. It seems logical and good business sense to me to want to offer an improved product at little or no extra cost. However, the modders don't seem to see it that way.

Well, I guess that I'm ''the modders''...

Of course I think that a company should address ''known issues'', and that is exactly what they did with the improved V.3 version of the dht regulators. Correcting the one and single known issue.

I just think that you are unfair to Thorsten Löesch (the designer) when you mention ''several known issues''. To be fair there was ONE known issues, and they have fixed it.

Everything else that can be done to upgrade / change a product can't really be said to be ''issues''. These are modifications / upgrades... Every designer of every hifi product on the planet has to consider the target price the company want to match, this also goes for the Tram II. Therefore there is not room (cost wise) for parts like Shinkoh tantalium resistors, Duelund capacitors etc... This is understandable when the company sell the pream at such an affordable price. But to call it ''known issues'' that these parts are not included is not fair.... In my opinion...

I have sent an e-mail to Simon from DIYHIFI Supply detailing the components Morten has substituted in the Tram2 Pre-amp. I asked if their Research and Development person could look and these components with the possibility of implementing them in the kit or making them available as option on the Tram2 Pre-amp page.

See what happens!!!!

Peter

I think that I know the answer, if you get one, but I might be surprised :)

Morten, I will definitely keep you posted and any answers from DIYHIFI Supply. This could be the next enjoythemusic product of the year or 6moon Blue Award, done with the your and other members help on this forum thread. It would be good to improve a produce's sound with the help of the produce's followers. A win/win for all. I my be dreaming!!!!

Peter

One think is, if they will do it. What they have now in the Tram II is all based on components / modules from their own shelves. Doing the ''upgraded'' version will mean, that they must change their strategy and get outside parts. I don't know if they have an interest in doing so or not...

Another thing is the cost. Will there be a market for a Tram II(I) that cost twice as much (or more) than the Tram II they are selling now? I believe price will go up CONSIDERABLY by implementing all these changes, it's normal that the price go up by at least 5 times the added cost of the components because there is so much more handling and logistics involved when going from using own parts, to sourcing and implementing outside parts...

But let's here what they say :)

... moving right along ....

Phase Issue

The Tram2 inverts phase according to my hero above.

Does this matter to anyone?

I guess most users just switch speaker cables at the speaker posts but Im using these active speakers via an RCA line in (no XLR-balanced socket input):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So what do I do?

I guess swapping the RCA wiring in the interconnect between the preamp and active speaker, so the inner 'hot' (signal) is connected to the outer 'cold' (ground) would switch phase but be bad news with the loss of the common ground. I say "guess" as I really have no clue. Please set me straight. Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, the Tram II inverts polarity..! (it's mentioned in the beginning of the thread somewhere). So it's recommended to swap the phase on the speaker cables for correct phase.

Hugh; no you can't just do that (with the rca cables). If I were you I would give the guys who make your speakers a call and say you need to invert polarity. I'm sure they will help you to do so.. The woofers are easy, but they must recommend the best place to swap polarity on the electrostatic element. Or if you don't want to do that, then just play with reverse polarity and try to forget about it...

Hugh, in the Tram2 manual, there is no mention of phase invert of the interconnects. Do you have it in writing ...

ThorstenL
Germany.gif

"Does the Tram 2 invert phase? Can't find any mention in the manual"

Yes, it does. Any true single stage tube circuit inverts polarity... Ciao T

So the Tram2 puts out an inverted signal from its RCA outputs so you might want to reverse your speakers cables there Peter.

..give the guys who make your speakers a call and say you need to invert polarity .

Brilliant idea. Thanks
At the moment it wont be an issue as I use an Audiophilleo1 USB-SPDIF device which inverts phase digitally with a flick of a joystick (I kid you not). Later when I ditch it for one of the USB-I2S boards from this site it will be harder.:(

Last edited:
Hugh. I have a Tram2 which inverts phase which goes into the STC 4212E amps single ended which inverts phase. I was told that my amps phase inverts so what I did was to listen to the normal and then inverted phase to the speaker connection. The phase inverted connection sounded better to myself and Keith Eichmann. So if you invert then invert again you should come up with normal phasing which should sound best. In my case it did not. I'm sticking with the phase invert connections to the speakers. It is what sounds best to your ears and not get hung up on technicalities.

Peter

... I'm sticking with the phase invert connections to the speakers. It is what sounds best to your ears and not get hung up on technicalities. Peter

Thanks Peter. I agree with you that listening is always the most important thing. Thanks for so generously coming around today so I could hear your lovely Tram2 again. It sounded so good I clean forgot to experiment with switching the phases around. I must try and remember to get more hung up on technicalities next time. :eek:

Hugh, unfortunate for you, you can not at the moment phase invert, as you only have RCA connectors to your powered speakers. You need to have those earths on electrical equipment.

Listening to the Tram2, this pre-amp has something special to add to the music. This is in it's standard form only with NOS tubes.

It would be interesting to contact the manufacturer of the speakers to phase invert the speaker drivers. It would be a matter of unscrewing the back amp panel and making the necessary terminal changes if necessary.

You should check if the Melody pre-amp is phase inverting. The plot thickens!!! The music sounded really good anyway.

Last edited:
Hmmmm i am 100 procent shure that i have ask ,about the inverting to Diy Hifisupply..in the mail they write that the Tram don't invert the phase
now i have just tried to swap the speaker cable---not bad for the sound ,,voices more upfront---good that this problem come to my ear
thanks for that
Bjarne
happy New year

My next query is around the best design for tube "chimneys" for the Tram2.

I understand that originally these chimneys were designed to facilitate an updraught around the tubes to enhance cooling:

$T2eC16RHJIIE9qTYKCsvBQvPo2zqe%21%7E%7E60_3.JPG

The Tram2 DHT's benefit from EMF shielding to reduce hum and might also benefit form microphonic reductions via shielding from airborne resonance.

So in the Tram2 tube chimneys might offer three function
a. enhanced convection cooling
b. electromagnetic field shielding
c. vibration shielding to reduce physical resonate and microphonic induced noise

Would you recommend I make tube chimneys from:

1. Steel pipe with thick walls

$(KGrHqRHJDoFCCL6G3JeBQoMId4hq!~~60_57.JPG

2. Copper Pipe

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWq)DsBQ250g0WUg~~60_57.JPG

3. Copper sheet 1MM think that can be hand crafted to fit:

$T2eC16N,!zUE9s389zVZBQ330sg31w~~60_3.JPG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.