DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Hugh... Yes, installing the Rod Coleman regulators on the chassis sides is possible and much easier than the installation I made... Geir did it, look a few pages back for his installation.

The downside with this is longer wiring at places where one want the wires short. Also, if you see my installation the heatsinks work as grounded shields where all the noisy stuff -wires to and from the rectifiers for instance- is all inside the ''box'' formed by the heatsinks.

But again: Using the sides makes for a very easy installation...

The v3 Tram heater supplies are the same circuit as v1 and v2 with some component quaility and value changes. I haven't yet tried Rod's heaters so I can't yet make the comparison, I just to find the time.

Hi Clive.

Yes, that was what I thought from the pics of the V.3... Then you (with the V.3's can look forward to the same improvement as we did :)

BTW. On the Rod Coleman regulators it gives another step of improvements in sound to upgrade the current sensing resistor and one of the caps (see my installation where it's explained). One might as well install these parts from the beginning...

Hugh, Morten has done the research and development into the Rod Coleman regulator installation. In your case, it will be much simpler to install these regulators per Morten's design during the assembly of the Tram2 rather than make the modification when you have an existing Tram2. In my case there will be drill swarf to remove from inside the chassis so not to get court against the electrical components. Morten has done it and this installation has worked for him. If you look at the threaded before the Rod Coleman regulator installation, Morten tried the supplied heater regulators with large heatsinks. His regulator installation look extremely neat with short connections between components. No long wires to pick up noise. Noise is what you do not want.
Hugh, you have some good ideas, but you should go with Morten's regulator installation during the Tram2 assembly.

Hugh, when ordering the Tram2 from DIYHIFI Supply, ask Simon (contact at DIYHIFI) for a price without their heater modules. When I was at their old shop, all they did was assemble the kit from parts on the spares shelf. If you do not ask, you will have extra heater regulator that you will not use. DIYHIFI should utilize the Rod Colemand regulators in their kits. A must better solution.

Peter

:eek:
...ask Simon (contact at DIYHIFI) for a price without their heater modules...go with Morten's regulator installation... Peter

.... :) I will recommend getting ten extra caps t to get six of them in each channel....if you see my installation the heatsinks work as grounded shields where all the noisy stuff -wires to and from the rectifiers for instance- is all inside the ''box'' formed by the heatsinks.

:worship: thanks guys! Your all very kind and generous with your help.:worship:

I want a Tram2-MortenV4b- MusicFirst/2A3/SE

Last edited:
No long wires to pick up noise. Noise is what you do not want.

Not picking up noise is one concern, and wires not emitting noise is another. There are big currents running in the DHT regs, and on the ''ac side'' of the regs before and after the rectifiers there are large peak currents meaning that the wires can act as antennaes sending out noise. No matter how the installation is made, it's good to keep these wires as short as possible, and to have ground/shield between these wires and the preamp circuit.

At the other end of the regs, the wires going to the filaments on the triodes sould be considered as in the signal path, so these must also be as short as possible for that reason.

I don't know why my picture of the RCA tubes disappeared, the user interface at Photobucket is totally changed, so maybe I upload the wrong way. I try once more...

These are the two pairs of RCA 2A3 tubes I have...

IMG_4685_zpsdfc746d7.jpg

Time for a Tram 2 MkII?

The Tram 2 has been around for a couple of years now and the issues with the original design have been identified and solutions proposed by the DIY community. My personal view is that the Tram 2 is a world-class concept but was released to market too soon and that anyone interested in a Tram (and, like me is not DIYer) who reads this thread could be put off buying by what appear to be a multitude of shortcomings that have to be addressed.

So, isn't it time for a MKII version incorporating all the knowledge that has accumulated over the past couple of years? I myself would appreciate a bigger case allowing a choice of different capacitors and better ventilation to allow heat to escape.

Any other views?

a. removing the epoxy paint on the chassis inner side wall to achieve a smooth raw aluminium exposed surface to maximise heat conduction transfer

Either mounting the transistors using heat conducting tape

OR better still: screwing the transistors into the side wall if you have a deft touch so as not drill though the chassis (perhaps wind tape around the drill to build up a 2mm wide collar allowing a safe drill depth 1mm shorter then the case thickness).

Use a copper shim for best heat transfer between the transistor and chassis and plenty of Thermal conducting CPU paste between all surfaces.

b. sticking heat insulation tape to the inner chassis wall adjacent to the transistor mounting; with the aim of minimising heat transmission back inside the case

c. optionally sticking heat sink fins on the outside of the case (if you don't like the look or they don't drop temperature appreciably just pull them off)

4. Put aluminium shielding on the inner side of the regulators to minimise stray electrical fields and further minimise radiant heat transfer - the fins of that linked heatsink will need to be flattened back with a hammer leaving just the top fins as a mounting base to the underside of the top plate. The inner vertical surface should have the thermal-electrical insulation tape glued to it.

Cheers
Hugh
Hugh,

I like the shim (heat spreader plate) best.

It can be Alu (though Copper is best if at hand). 5mm thick or more is best. Something like 100mm x 60mm will make a difference - and increase either dimension if possible.

Filaments start up from cold at lower resistance - so there is a lower voltage across the filaments at switch-ON. The difference between cold & hot voltage is soaked up but the Regulator transistor Q5 during the couple of seconds of warm up.

A spreader plate helps with this thermal surge, and means that the removal of the epoxy paint is less critical.

Either way, the transistor cases should be at less than 70 deg C (Absolute max) and preferably below 55 deg C.

The Tram 2 has been around for a couple of years now and the issues with the original design have been identified and solutions proposed by the DIY community. My personal view is that the Tram 2 is a world-class concept but was released to market too soon and that anyone interested in a Tram (and, like me is not DIYer) who reads this thread could be put off buying by what appear to be a multitude of shortcomings that have to be addressed.

So, isn't it time for a MKII version incorporating all the knowledge that has accumulated over the past couple of years? I myself would appreciate a bigger case allowing a choice of different capacitors and better ventilation to allow heat to escape.

Any other views?

I agree with you that the Tram II might have appeared a bit ''unfinished'' when it was first released, but to be fair and respectful to the designers, then the only issues has been the insufficient cooling on the DHT regulators. Since the Tram II is build up by diy hifi supply modules and parts, then I don't think it's likely for them to source an ''outside product'' like the Rod Coleman dht regulator. But that's just me speculating...

Everything else is a matter of design choices, and that the preamp must match a certain price point in the market - this means that the most exotic components are not used.

Personally I love the way this is a ''very finished DIY platform'' we can then work on, and I believe that is also the way it's intended. I remember reading (think it was Thorsten who mentioned it), that even if one buys a Tram II build by diy hifi supply, then it should still be considered DIY and needing some work.

The small chassis makes work and upgrades challenging, but I like the size and the design. It's even cooler to have two of these chassis side by side :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Having listened to a Tram2 thanks to Peter I simply cant imagine any other pre could sound better for me.

But 26 tubed type preamp owners have hinted to me they cant imagine any other DHT design could improve on a 26 based pre with quality output transformers.

I dont want to start a big discussion but I do wonder if anybody has actually heard both?

I agree with you that the Tram II might have appeared a bit ''unfinished'' when it was first released, but to be fair and respectful to the designers, then the only issues has been the insufficient cooling on the DHT regulators. Since the Tram II is build up by diy hifi supply modules and parts, then I don't think it's likely for them to source an ''outside product'' like the Rod Coleman dht regulator. But that's just me speculating...

Everything else is a matter of design choices, and that the preamp must match a certain price point in the market - this means that the most exotic components are not used.

Personally I love the way this is a ''very finished DIY platform'' we can then work on, and I believe that is also the way it's intended. I remember reading (think it was Thorsten who mentioned it), that even if one buys a Tram II build by diy hifi supply, then it should still be considered DIY and needing some work.

The small chassis makes work and upgrades challenging, but I like the size and the design. It's even cooler to have two of these chassis side by side :)

IMG_3952.jpg

I'll go along with the chassis bit but it doesn't make sense to me to keep offering a product with known issues when they can be fixed up so easily.

Has anyone contacted Simon at DIYHIFI Supply with the modifications on this thread to see if they would implement the improvements in their product. This could include a module circuit board of Rod Coleman's regulator. It would be very good to see his regulators and power supply modulized to fit into the Tram2.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.