DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Morten, I asked Rod if he knew which power supply circuit you used in your Tram2. Rod said to ask you. So I did. Thanks for your reply.

My point is, that I did not ask him about what would be the best for a preamp application like this one, I just build one of them. So if you want his recommendation I'm sure that he will tell what he would have used ;)

I can't comment on the other raw-dc designs, but this one does the job for sure. And by the way: I use 0.22 ohm resistors between C1 and C2 to make the regulators work. I know that Bjarne (beardman who is also using the Rod Coleman regulators in his Tram II) use 0.15 ohm. You will need to experiment a bit here to get the right voltage from the raw-dc supply so I recommend that you buy some different resistors to test with.

Last edited:
Morten, I have just sent Rod an e-mail for his Tram2 power supply recommendation. By the way, what other audio equipment do you have in your system. You must have some great components. I am running an STSC 4212E single ended power amp with my Tram2.

Attachments

• IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 303
GeirT, where did you purchase your Rod Coleman Heater regulator kit. Do you have any info from Rod that you could share with this forum. Thanks

Hi, I ordered the kits directly from Rod sending him a pm via this site and adding my e-mail adress so he could send me the assembly and application manual. Everything he has sent me is of first order and he's a pleasure to deal with.

He signals that he is open for giving advices but I've not sent him any technical questions yet as I've been too busy to start buliding (and I'm still awaiting the Tram kit from HK).

I can't comment on the other raw-dc designs, but this one does the job for sure.

Morten, I have held back this question for a while but now I ask about the potentially obvious anyway; as transformer used for the Rod C. heaters do you use the two pairs of 9V AC secondaries from the existing Tram II power transformer? I cannot see that you have added any extra trafos.

Morten, I have held back this question for a while but now I ask about the potentially obvious anyway; as transformer used for the Rod C. heaters do you use the two pairs of 9V AC secondaries from the existing Tram II power transformer? I cannot see that you have added any extra trafos.

There are no extra 9V secondaries on my Tram II transformer, so I'm not sure what you are referring to. As Bjarne mentions, you must use the 7,5V widings for heater supply (blue + black) instead of the 5,5V windings (brown + black).

Screenshot2012-08-09at172421.png

Morten, your speakers review on the net sound really good, I should say fantastic. They would not have been cheap to buy. What are the two white coloured components under the DIYHIFI Supply Tram2 and Vinyl Song Phono units. I see you are using a Plinius New Zealand Reference Amplifier. It must run hot.

Morten, your speakers review on the net sound really good, I should say fantastic. They would not have been cheap to buy. What are the two white coloured components under the DIYHIFI Supply Tram2 and Vinyl Song Phono units. I see you are using a Plinius New Zealand Reference Amplifier. It must run hot.

Geir is right :) The two silver boxes is my Densen B-475 cd player. The power supply is in one box, and the rest in the other box.

And yes, the amp is from your part of the world, it's a Plinius SA-Reference. It does run hot in the high bias mode where the first 100W of the 300W is Class A, but it also has a low bias mode and I use that a lot during the summer time. The amp does not run as hot as the Atma-Sphere MA-2 Mk III.1 monoblocks that I will soon get home for review ;)

What I like about the Eggleston Works speakers, and this system is, that it sounds natural and more true to the sound of the instruments played live than most other systems I hear. Most of my friends systems are so bright, and so focused on the details themselves that it does not sound natural for me. I believe that the ''hifi reference sound'' has become more and more bright during the years and thus further and further away from a natural sound. I play the bass myself and we practise every week in my band so for instance I have a very good reference on how drums and cymbals sounds. Listening to many hifi systems there is a very ''bright, thin an airy'' sound on cymbals for instance, whereas I hear a very dense and dynamic sound when I hear our drummer live. I try to keep my system close to the natural ''live sound'' more than the ''correct hifi sound''. That's why I have tubes in my system, and that's why I have the Eggleston Works speakers...

Morten, You are absolutely right with your observations. In my hoilday travels around various countries, I try to go to audio shows and I have been disappointed with the sound and mega hype of some extremely expensive systems. The best system I have heard to date was from a total DIY compelation with lots of Dueland expensive caps in the CD drive, dac and amps. It is the most natural and dynamic sound I have heard. This person listens to alot of live performances and this sound is emulated on this system. The joys of Tube DIY.

See attached picture.

Attachments

• My system now.jpg
    My system now.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 400
  • System today use 002.JPG
    System today use 002.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 376
Finally.. My new TJ 2A3/SE tubes has arrived. Chris and his employees at Parts Connexion did a great job getting these. Apparently they are made of unobtanium or something because these tubes are as hard to get as they are expensive...

I have never paid so much money for a pair of tubes before so they better be good..!

First impression is, that they have MUCH, MUCH lower microphonics than the Treasure 2A3-Z. Very good :)

For now I just have 5-6 hours on the tubes, so it's to early to say much about the sound, they have to settle in for the first 50 hours or so. What I can say though is, that the lower microphonics can be heard: The sound is more coherent and the bacground is more quiet because the slight ''shimmer'' that comes with microphonics is now gone. Also as the tubes sound now with just 5-6 hours of break in, the midrange is a bit more forward than with the Treasures. This gives a more direct connection to the music and better attack on transients... I will get back with more when they break in.

One wierd thing though: I could not get the Rod Coleman regulators up to 2,5V on the heaters. The max I could get was around 2,2V. This was with 0,22 ohm resistors as R1 and R2 in the raw dc supply before the regulators (see schematic below). I have now replaced R1 and R2 with 0,15 ohm resistors and the regulators can be set to 2,5V dc. This could indicate that the Full Music tubes pull more current than the specified 2,5A, at least when they are new... I will monitor the heater voltage closely during the break in period...

Screenshot2012-07-25at084028.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.