DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 53 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 2nd January 2013, 05:47 PM   #521
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardman View Post
Hmmmm i am 100 procent shure that i have ask ,about the inverting to Diy Hifisupply..in the mail they write that the Tram don't invert the phase

Bjarne
happy New year
Hi Bjarne,

As Thorsten mentioned in the post Hugh refers to: The Tram II inverts polarity..! This is a fact since all tube circuits with just one amplifying stage inverts polarity... I have also measured the polarity, and the Tram II does invert polarity.

They should make this more clear in the manual so users are aware that the must swap the speaker cables for the best sound...
Old 2nd January 2013, 05:50 PM   #522
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazap View Post

Would you recommend I make tube chimneys from:

1. Steel pipe with thick walls

2. Copper Pipe

3. Copper sheet 1MM think that can be hand crafted to fit:
I would recommend not making any at all
Old 2nd January 2013, 11:55 PM   #523
diyAudio Member

Morten, you are absolutely correct. Correctly length and placed interconnect, power and speakers cables will elliminate interferences. Hugh, you need to get longer interconnect cables and not stack your equipment. Only have the equipment you are using on your audio stand. The other dac's, pre-amp all have magnetic fields from their own transformers which can interfere . Keep things mininal. Yesterday, we had power and interconnect cables very close to the tubes and there was no audible noise at the speakers except tube hiss which has always been present with the Tram2 with the DIYHIFI heater regulators. This hiss is very minimal.

You should just get your Tram2 built and later on see if you need shielding. Have a read of Diy HiFi Supply Tram Mk2 DHT OTL Preamplifier Take the direct route to the heart and soul of your music. Review By Clive Meakins. This is a very good review and things too do to tame microphonics.

Peter
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:22 AM   #524
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I would recommend not making any at all
Ah - the Zen option. May I ask why you recommend no tube shielding? The presumed benefits of better cooling and less noise seems pretty useful for a simple DIY job, that even I can wire up without zapping myself.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:09 AM   #525
diyAudio Member

Hugh, then you would not see the heater elements of the tubes at night. That is hypotonic to the eyes. It's like watching a fire. See the picture of my STC 4212E tube. I have had metal shielding in my Ah! CD player and I could not hear a difference. If the Full Music 2A3/SE are microphonic, then use the Herbie's Audio Lab Damping Instruments Guitar type dampners. The Full Music 45 ST shaped tubes are somewhat microphonic and I used the dampners with little difference in the noise heard.

From the review above: I'll put it simply; if you care about your music you must strongly consider this preamp. Don't let the potential need for fettling put you off but I appreciate that it won't suit some folks. As you can tell I'm over the moon with Tram Mk2, there's no way it's leaving my system.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackart 4212SE power amp 3.JPG (109.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:33 PM   #526
diyAudio Member

Hello Morten
good to get the polarity right
by me the steel tube works just fine--less mikrofony,,,alså use Herbie on my JJ 2a3
Bjarne
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:14 PM   #527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazap View Post
Ah - the Zen option. May I ask why you recommend no tube shielding? The presumed benefits of better cooling and less noise seems pretty useful for a simple DIY job, that even I can wire up without zapping myself.
I simply don't see the point of these pipes... Tubes are designed run hot and to work perfectly fine without extra cooling, and how much will they actually lower the temp? A few degrees..!? That's a solution looking for a problem if you ask me. And since I have no hum what so ever they are not needed for grounding / shielding either.

Besides, as Peter mentiones: Tubes are beautiful, metal pipes are not.
Old 3rd January 2013, 09:19 PM   #528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptashton View Post
The Full Music 45 ST shaped tubes are somewhat microphonic and I used the dampners with little difference in the noise heard.
As I remember it those 45's are mesh plates? Mesh plate tubes are too microphonic to be used in the Tram, also there has been a problem with hum with those Full Music 45's... Better stick to solid plate type tubes...

Last edited by Desmo; 3rd January 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:37 AM   #529
diyAudio Member

Off subject. Has anyone tried the Full Music 300b/2.5V/c tubes in the Tram2. Instead of the 45 or 2A3 sound, you can get the 300b sound with the same heater current as the 2A3. Any response.

Peter
Old 5th January 2013, 11:41 AM   #530
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptashton View Post
Hugh. I have a Tram2 which inverts phase which goes into the STC 4212E amps single ended which inverts phase. I was told that my amps phase inverts so what I did was to listen to the normal and then inverted phase to the speaker connection. The phase inverted connection sounded better to myself and Keith Eichmann. So if you invert then invert again you should come up with normal phasing which should sound best. In my case it did not. I'm sticking with the phase invert connections to the speakers. It is what sounds best to your ears and not get hung up on technicalities.

Peter
I tried the normal and inverted phase of speaker terminal connects with my two phase inverted pre-amp and power amp equipment using a Wadia 3200 transport, Killerdac and ML3 Lenehan speakers with Dueland Caps. The result was quiet dramatic. The inverted phase sounded much better. Try it. That is what DIY is all about.

For people with extra cash, I tried a GEC U52 brown base single D getter rectifier tube in the Tram2. This tube rocks. It's the best. See picture of this tube. Click the image to open in full size.This tube helps with quieting the DHT hiss noise also. I have tried 1960s Sovtek 5U4, RCA, Tungsol, GE tubes and they do not come anywhere close to the GEC U52 tube. I tried the double cup getter U52 and the sound slowed with a relaxed sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!