diyAudio Member

Yes, those are the ones..! You might as well buy a pair now, you will need them
Old 24th December 2012, 01:20 PM   #463
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Yes, those are the ones..! You might as well buy a pair now, you will need them
OK. I get it. Get the good tubes from the start and save frustration and money. Gulp.

I've been carefully reading through the early posts and see the synergy of all the tubes is critical. Do you have any updates about the best tubes to go with the Full Music 2A3/SE please? Thanks very much for sharing all your hard won experience with us so generously.

Also thanks to Peter for bringing his Tram2 around to my place so I could get hooked. It was one of the most exciting audio experiences Ive enjoyed.
Old 26th December 2012, 02:00 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

Desmo 30th September 2012, "I will play a bit with rectifiers and mu tubes again. For now I use NOS RCA rectifier and a NOS Cunningham 6AS7. This combination is the most transparent and clean sounding of the tubes I have. The NOS Svetlana rectifiers and mu tubes I have are a bit fuller and warmer sounding. I will try these together with the 2A3/SE soon..."

Morten - thats very intriguing. I wonder which Svetlana model number tubes they are and how they sound. Thanks.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #465
diyAudio Member

Kazap (Hugh), at your place, I changed the NOS Rogers 5U4G for a NOS 1960s Black plate Svetlana 5U4G (5U3S, 5C3S) tube. Currently with the NOS Brimar (USA made) 45 ST tube, the Rogers 5U4G tube sounded better. Maybe a combination of the NOS Svetlana 5U4G and 6AS7G per Morten's findings would be good to try. The joys of ebay to find hard to get tubes.

Peter
Old 27th December 2012, 01:13 AM   #466
diyAudio Member

Have a look at this web site for the best 6AS7:

Multi 6080/6AS7 review

Peter

Last edited by ptashton; 27th December 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #467
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to the 6AS7 reviews... I'm not sure how the findings from the review will translate into the Tram II where these tubes are actually not in the signal path...

In my system I now use the Russians and the Chinese With the Full Music 2A3/SE I feel that the NOS Russian rectifiers and Mu tubes are a little bit better math. They might be a little bit more laid back, a little bit darker sounding and they don't have the ''sparkle'' in the treble as the other tubes, but they sound very coherent together with the 2A3/SE. In comparison the NOS RCA and Cunningham tubes can be a bit too much, a bit more forward and sparkling in the treble. This is not ''night and day differences'', just relatively small differences, and it really comes down to system matching, not that one is clearly better than the other - In my opinion.

The NOS Russian tubes are the Svetlanas that are all over e-bay for nearly no money. The rectifiers are 5U3C and the 6H13C are the 6AS7 replacement.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:08 PM   #468
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
The rectifiers are 5U3C and the 6H13C are the 6AS7 replacement.
Thanks very much for clarifying those tubes.

With the DHT output tube choices go a friend highly recommends by the EML 45 solid plates. He says the 45's are better then the 2A3s in his Tram2 but I think he's been stymied with the Version1 heater regulators.

Has anyone compared the EML45's to any 2A3 tubes?
Old 28th December 2012, 11:18 PM   #469
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The qustion has been raised many times, can't really remember if anyone ever answered it. I'm not going to either

I have not hear the EML 45's, but I have made enough 45 - 2A3 comparisons in the Tram II that I will no longer even bother with 45's... Compared to good 2A3's they are simply too boring (IMHO)... The 45's are nice, coherent etc etc... But where did the drama and live feeling go..!? The good thing about the 45's is, that they run cooler...

Also, a friend of mine is a very skilled tube audio designer / repair person / audio dealer. He sells (or sold, because he stopped) both EML and KR tubes. He had a pair of KR 2A3 solid plates sitting on the shelf, I wanted to buy them from him, but he ''strongly advised me not to''. He recommended me the TJ / Full Music instead (that he does not sell).

In his opinion the reliability of the KR and EML tubes (made the same place according to him) is not very good. And the sound is -again according to him- no where near as good as the TJ / Full Music with the carbon anodes (C and SE versions). He is one of the most talented and experiences ''tube guys'' that I know, so I listen to him. That's why I got myself a pair of 2A3/SE instead of a pair of EML or KR

Last edited by Desmo; 28th December 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:38 PM   #470
diyAudio Member

QUOTE=Desmo;3302499].....That's why I got myself a pair of 2A3/SE instead of a pair of EML or KR [/QUOTE]

Well I'm after an exciting sound so will definitely be getting 2A3's - in fact I already got a pair of alleged NOS RCA JAN VT-95 2A3 off eBay in anticipation of getting a Tram2. I realise they might be very disappointing with noise in a Tram2 but Im taking that risk. Hopefully the military spec might raise the long odds that they will be quiet. If not I'll just use the Music First 2A3SE and benefit from all your trials.

I wonder if I need to install the Coleman regulators when the Version3 regulators can handle the 2A3 load reliably? Has anyone updated the Version3 regulators to the Coleman and heard a difference? Thanks. Being so inexperienced I really appreciate the guidance.

Last edited by kazap; 28th December 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!