DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 23rd December 2012, 09:31 AM   #451
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazap View Post
Id like to buy a used Tram2 - please PM me if you know of one sitting on a back shelf.

Otherwise I wonder if anyone could build a two box version for me with the power and heater regulation in its own chassis to keep the tubed chassis cooler?
The chassis doesn't get to hot, the air flows out past the sub-chassis and out via the tube sockets. The rev 1 heater supply heater sinks are too small for 2A3 use but ok for 45s. Rev 2 are marginal for 2A3s and rev 3 are fine.

Maybe you want to say which country you are if you hope for a rare 2nd hand Tram.
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:55 AM   #452
kazap is offline kazap  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivetjm View Post
The chassis doesn't get to hot, the air flows out past the sub-chassis and out via the tube sockets. The rev 1 heater supply heater sinks are too small for 2A3 use but ok for 45s. Rev 2 are marginal for 2A3s and rev 3 are fine.

Maybe you want to say which country you are if you hope for a rare 2nd hand Tram.
Thanks for setting me straight on the heat dispersal in the standard Tram2 chassis design. I guess a two box design might still be a good idea for the best isolation of induced currents? I would also ideally like the tubes to be as cool as possible too. I live in Brisbane, Australia and summers are warmish. Id rather the tubes suck up room temperature air then preheated air.

As for buying a used Tram2 Id be happy to buy one from anywhere.

I was treated to hearing a Tram2 in my home today and I'm converted
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:02 AM   #453
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Personally I believe a two box solution as you describe will be a compromised design that will not sound as good as the one box solution. You will have long wires between the boxes on critical places in the signal path (supplies that are as considered in the signal path, especially the DHT supplies). As Clive mentions there is no heat issue, so I can't really think of reasons why one would compromise the design / sound to get two boxes and -maybe- a lower temperature...

I do however understand that people who has not yet had any hands on experience with the Tram II can be a bit freaked out and think there are heat issues because there has been so much debate on the topic. But as Clive say: It's was because if too small heat sinks for the DHT regulators. With larger heat sinks all is good.

You should consider the Tram II as a small integrated Class A tube amp, because basically that is what it is. So it get's quite warm, but not hot hot...

EDIT... Ahh, notice in your last post, that you have actually heard one now

Quote:
Thanks for setting me straight on the heat dispersal in the standard Tram2 chassis design. I guess a two box design might still be a good idea for the best isolation of induced currents? I would also ideally like the tubes to be as cool as possible too. I live in Brisbane, Australia and summers are warmish. Id rather the tubes suck up room temperature air then preheated air.

As for buying a used Tram2 Id be happy to buy one from anywhere.

I was treated to hearing a Tram2 in my home today and I'm converted

Last edited by Desmo; 23rd December 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 11:20 AM   #454
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Personally I believe a two box solution as you describe will be a compromised design .......
Thanks for sharing your expert opinion. As a result I've promptly given up the two chassis idea. This will have the added benefit that it will be much easier for me to get a Tram2.

Having heard one today I'm ruined. The system sounds pedantic without it. The only thing my SS state gear does better is a lower noise floor. Are there any build mods e.g. with different capacitors you can recommend that might reduce the Tram2 noise floor?
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:24 PM   #455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your expert opinion. As a result I've promptly given up the two chassis idea. This will have the added benefit that it will be much easier for me to get a Tram2.

Having heard one today I'm ruined. The system sounds pedantic without it. The only thing my SS state gear does better is a lower noise floor. Are there any build mods e.g. with different capacitors you can recommend that might reduce the Tram2 noise floor?
You're welcome... And it's always a matter of choice and the compromises you feel are the best. Me, I prefer to have my electronics compact and with short wiring, this can be achieved with the one box solution. Others might have other preferences...

Installing the Rod Coleman DHT regulators will give you BOTH quite a big improvement in sound AND a much lower noise floor. Go back some pages in this thread and see my installation of this regulator...
Old 24th December 2012, 07:30 AM   #456
diyAudio Member

Morten, the Tram2 Kazap is talking about is mine. I have been slack as I have not installed the Rod Coleman DHT regulators.

How are your Full Music 2A3 tubes sounding??? They should sound very good by now.

Peter
Old 24th December 2012, 07:55 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter,

Ahhh... It's a small world Then it's time for you to get the Rod Coleman regulators installed...!

The Full Music 2A3SE are amazing tubes. Expensive, but worth the money. They are clearer, more dynamic, more coherent and less microphonic than any other tubes I have tried in the Tram. Very nice
Old 24th December 2012, 09:28 AM   #458
diyAudio Member

Morten and everyone else, it's Christmas eve evening down under. Hope Santa brings you lots of audio tube or solid state presents. My wish list includes a pair of Full Music 2A3SE tubes and a pair fantastic sounding loadspeakers. You only get Santa presents if you are nice. Anyway, to quote Santa "HO HO HO" and

"Happy Christmas to all. And to all a good night".
Old 24th December 2012, 09:41 AM   #459
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
The Full Music 2A3SE are amazing tubes. Expensive, but worth the money. They are clearer, more dynamic, more coherent and less microphonic than any other tubes I have tried in the Tram. Very nice
Click the image to open in full size.

Price: US$540.00 for a pair

Last edited by kazap; 24th December 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 24th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #460
diyAudio Member

Those are the Full Music 2A3 / C, mine are the 2A3 / SE and unfortunately they are even more expensive... Full Music 2A3/SE Electric Tube, Matched Pair

Yes, it's a lot of money..! But it's cheaper than to buy 5+ other pairs of tube hoping to find a cheaper short cut to the best sound And with the excellent design in the Tram II where the auto bias makes a gentle start-up of the tubes, these should have a life on 2000 - 5000 hours. Not too bad...

Hide this!Advertise here!