DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 12th September 2012, 01:33 PM   #371
diyAudio Member

To forch, if you think one of your Rev 3 filament supplies is not working properly, e-mail Simon and mail it back to him for testing. Swap over the Rev 3 modules and see if the fault follows. I had a suspect ABS module and it was replaced under warranty. If you are getting the correct voltage out of your filament supply, you could replace the Rev3 modules one at a time with your remaining Rev2 module to see if your imbalance goes away. Check all voltages per the Tram2 manual.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:36 AM   #372
GeirT is offline GeirT  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm running Emission Labs 2A3 tubes in the pre now and even though the current draw is in the order of 2.5A, the new filament heater supplies (with the new increased cooling area) is doing fine without any noise issues. The cooling fins are hot and cannot really be touched more than a second though.

The CCS should be adjusted to 125V for the 2A3 tubes as well, should'nt they?

Geir
Old 13th September 2012, 10:54 AM   #373
diyAudio Member

Morten or Thorsten Loesch will be the one's to ask regarding adjusting the CCS to 125 volts for 2A3 tubes.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:01 PM   #374
forch is offline forch  United States
diyAudio Member

ptashton, thanks for the recommendation. I was thinking that would be the next step, but wanted to check with the experts before swapping them. Forch

I live in the US so shipping one back would be a bit expensive, but if I can isolate the problem to possibly a unit, replacement would be the best way to go.
Old 13th September 2012, 12:14 PM   #375
diyAudio Member

forch, I posted the ABS and FCPSU to Hong Kong from Australia and it was not that expensive. DIY HIFI Supply payed for the postage back to me. The FCPSU checked out ok and the ABS was replaced under warranty. Not bad.

Peter
Old 13th September 2012, 04:22 PM   #376
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeirT View Post
I'm running Emission Labs 2A3 tubes in the pre now and even though the current draw is in the order of 2.5A, the new filament heater supplies (with the new increased cooling area) is doing fine without any noise issues.

The CCS should be adjusted to 125V for the 2A3 tubes as well, should'nt they?

Geir
My original heaters also ran fine without noise issues - sometimes. At other times there was noise... But once again: The big difference between the original regulators and the Rod Colman is not the noise floor. The big difference is the much improved sound.

If one does not care about the improvement in sound, then I'm sure that the increased cooling area of the new version of the original regulators does the trick. My original regulators was unstable with 2A3's with the original small heatsinks, but with a bigger heatsink they were both stable and had lower noise.

Yes: 120V (according to my manual) no matter if you use 45 or 2A3.
Old 14th September 2012, 11:38 AM   #377
GeirT is offline GeirT  Norway
diyAudio Member

Yes Morten,
when time allows I will build a powe supply for the Colemans heaters and insert these.
I've also bought an additional set of Colemans heaters for my 300B power amp too so I'm not running out of DIY projects in the near future ;-)
Old 14th September 2012, 11:43 AM   #378
работник
diyAudio Member

Thanks Morten! I am glad to hear you are enjoying the DHT sound with my Regulators.

If anyone has questions on them, I am happy to help.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:49 AM   #379
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Coleman View Post
Thanks Morten! I am glad to hear you are enjoying the DHT sound with my Regulators.

If anyone has questions on them, I am happy to help.
Hi Rod,

As you can tell I have given the Tram II crowd the heads-up on your regulators Both Bjarne and I are still surprised at the improvement in sound in our Tram II preamps...

One thing you could do was to make more room for a better cap instead of that small piece of plastic - you know the on. Upgrading that cap and the current sensing resistor lifts the performance a bit more. There is even better dynamics and a bit more natural sound.

Thanks again for these regulators..!

Cheers,
Morten
Old 18th September 2012, 10:47 PM   #380
forch is offline forch  United States
diyAudio Member

ptashton, I found out that while I was adjusting the bias, the CCS tube was dying and threw off my bias, making one channel louder than the other.

I replaced the CCS tube with anothe and that took care of the bias stability between the channels and I now have loudness balance between the channels. With the Rev 3 filament supplies, my noise radically dropped compared with the Rev 2's as well. Thanks for the tips.

Forch

Hide this!Advertise here!