DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 10th April 2012, 04:55 PM   #291
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi hkl,

The heater supply modules do tend to get really, really hot..! The first pair I had tended to go into low frequency oscillation when they were hot (running 2A3). It seems that in the early Tram II days there was a batch of heatsinks that looked right, but did not perform right, and I had two of those modules. I had the modules replaced by DIY HIFI SUPPLY and have not had problems since. However, the modules are extremely hot..!

My solution has been to add cooling area to the existing heat sinks, but for a more permanent fix I plan to remove the two small heatsinks that are there now and replace them with one larger common heatsink. That way there is room a somewhat bigger heatsink and thus better heat transfer.

The solution with a fan under the Tram II also works fine.
Old 11th April 2012, 03:27 PM   #292
hkl is offline hkl  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Desmo

Thanks for your suggestions. I believe I have one of the newer Tram2 pre-amps with the correct heatsinks. I didn't measure the heater supply heatsink temps but yes there were very hot even after turning it off for a while. In any case I've passed the amp to the experts in DIYHIFI to look at. Hope to hear from them soon on what the problem is. At this stage I'm merely speculating that overheating was the problem.
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:10 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Hi guys,
I have just bought myself the Tram 2 pre and not a fan of LED lights at All and would like to know if its safe to have these removed?
This would include both the selector switch and volume LEDs as well as all the LEDs from the power supply modules underneath the Tram2.
Can anybody help me with this info?
This would be Greatly appreciated.
Thank You.
Old 24th April 2012, 09:03 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

You even want to remove PS LEDs which you can't see?

If you remove selector and volume LEDs, how will you know what settings you have? You'll be able dim them but do without them????
Old 24th April 2012, 09:16 AM   #295
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdivine View Post
Hi guys,
I have just bought myself the Tram 2 pre and not a fan of LED lights at All and would like to know if its safe to have these removed?
This would include both the selector switch and volume LEDs as well as all the LEDs from the power supply modules underneath the Tram2.
It is not safe to remove all LED's on the PSU Modules, some are used as voltage references on the FCUPS and act in conjunction with their resistors as discharge networks. So you would need to replace them with 3.3V Zenner Diodes.

You can remove those on the Filament Supplies safely.

There is no need to remove the indicator LED's, the information which resistors control the brightness is somewhere in this thread, simply remove these resistors and the LED's will be disabled.

However, I do not understand why you would want to remove the LED's in the first place. These are not multiplexed or PWM controlled (which is where the "LED's are Noisy" story comes from, in fact, LED's are pretty quiet as far as noise goes.

If they are too bright, either change resistors or for those on the powersupplies, simply use a black permanent marker and paint them over...

Ciao T
Old 25th April 2012, 03:18 AM   #296
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I just got an assembled Tram2 line stage the other day.
It worked for a day and now I cannot switch channels or regulate the volume. Neither the remote nor the knobs do the trick. The LEDs light up.
I did check for loose connections but nothing obvious (The Tram had a rough ride as a connector had become loose during shipment).
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ciao

Joerg
Old 25th April 2012, 04:55 AM   #297
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
I just got an assembled Tram2 line stage the other day. It worked for a day and now I cannot switch channels or regulate the volume. Neither the remote nor the knobs do the trick. The LEDs light up.
I did check for loose connections but nothing obvious (The Tram had a rough ride as a connector had become loose during shipment).
Any suggestions?
Check all the front panel connections and see if the rotary encoders took a knock.

Ciao T
Old 25th April 2012, 01:32 PM   #298
diyAudio Member

Thanks Thorsten, will try.

Ciao

joerg
Old 26th April 2012, 01:24 PM   #299
diyAudio Member

Default More led questions and 10y substitution.

Thanks guys for your replies and thanks very much Thorsten for answering my question.

I will take out the resistors mentioned to disable the volume and selector led's.

I understand that he main board (at the front of the unit, with the three blue leds in a row are to set the reference voltage and cant be removed.

But the other leds on the other modules can they be removed safely without using zeners???? Or any of the leds.

Would a zener sound better in any of these positions??

Another question: can i use a 10y instead of the 45 tubes and if so how do i reconfigure the unit or change voltages??

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

It is not safe to remove all LED's on the PSU Modules, some are used as voltage references on the FCUPS and act in conjunction with their resistors as discharge networks. So you would need to replace them with 3.3V Zenner Diodes.

You can remove those on the Filament Supplies safely.

There is no need to remove the indicator LED's, the information which resistors control the brightness is somewhere in this thread, simply remove these resistors and the LED's will be disabled.

However, I do not understand why you would want to remove the LED's in the first place. These are not multiplexed or PWM controlled (which is where the "LED's are Noisy" story comes from, in fact, LED's are pretty quiet as far as noise goes.

If they are too bright, either change resistors or for those on the powersupplies, simply use a black permanent marker and paint them over...

Ciao T
Old 26th April 2012, 01:28 PM   #300
diyAudio Member

Hi guys. Submitted my post before remembering another mod question.

Do you think there may be any improvement using a stepped attenuator (such as the cosmo) over the volume controller the unit comes with??? How good is the supplied volume control???

If this was done what k would the pot have to be??

Thanks all.

Hide this!Advertise here!