DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 10th November 2011, 09:01 AM   #241
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi Graham,

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm View Post
Thanks Clive. I have a pair of Y-cables I can use in the short term.
If the Amplifiers have significantly different sensitivities and at least one set has level controls you can also use the different gain outputs (e.g. an SE Amp with low sensitivity might be best off on the +6dB Gain output, while a Solid State Amp with very high sensitivity may be best of on the -12dB output).

You can mix'n'match that way.

Ciao T
Old 10th November 2011, 09:25 AM   #242
diyAudio Member

Glad you added that Thorsten! I was going to say something similar (I deleted what I wrote) but I wasn't totally sure whether amps connected at different attenuation points would be ok. It is, so thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10th November 2011, 12:47 PM   #243

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivetjm View Post
Glad you added that Thorsten! I was going to say something similar (I deleted what I wrote) but I wasn't totally sure whether amps connected at different attenuation points would be ok. It is, so thanks for the confirmation.
Well, there are limits of course (no 600 Ohm or even 200 Ohm input impedance Pro Studio Amp's please), but anything above 10K input impedance should no issue...

Ciao T
Old 11th November 2011, 07:27 AM   #244
gjm is offline gjm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've just checked - the Trends TA10.1 I'll use in the beginning has an input impedance of 50k when used as a power amplifier. The use of the Trends is a case of 'use what's available', but it should be more than adequate for now.

Not sure what impedance my 2A3 monos (with ECC81/12AT7WA) will be (I could work it out) but I suspect it will need to be something quite awkward and unusual to present any problems to a Tram.
Old 11th November 2011, 07:53 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

Given that it's incredibly rare to see a valve amp with less 100k I can't forsee any issue.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:10 AM   #246
gjm is offline gjm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivetjm View Post
Given that it's incredibly rare to see a valve amp with less 100k I can't forsee any issue.
Old 13th November 2011, 11:11 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

Just a note to Tram users: You can clip this line stage with high-output sources. If you run into this problem I might suggest some type of high-quality inline attenuators (Rothwell). For example, my Herron phono stage with 66 dB of gain is pretty high-level with my .5 mV Ortofon cart and causes the preamp to clip on transients - only on records recorded at a rather high level.

I solved this issue with the Rothwells.
Old 14th November 2011, 03:09 AM   #248

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Folbrecht View Post
Just a note to Tram users: You can clip this line stage with high-output sources. If you run into this problem I might suggest some type of high-quality inline attenuators (Rothwell).
There is an easier way. You can internally replace the wirelink from the RCA Socket to the input board by a high quality 47K or 100K resistor (raises the overload margin by 3dB and 6dB respectively) or if you have a unit build by diyhifisupply you can ask to have this included (generic resistors free, Takman or Tantalum at extra cost).

I really need to chase Simon to update the website with these options.

Ciao T
Old 18th November 2011, 01:20 AM   #249
diyAudio Member

Hey Thorsten, why does the preamp seem to have such harsh clipping behavior? It's really nasty when clipped. I mean, this is in practice a non-issue because few sources will clip it and you can easily get around this; I'm just curious why it sounds so 'nasty' when it does clip. I thought my cartridge was busted at first...
Old 18th November 2011, 02:14 AM   #250

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Folbrecht View Post
Hey Thorsten, why does the preamp seem to have such harsh clipping behavior? It's really nasty when clipped. I mean, this is in practice a non-issue because few sources will clip it and you can easily get around this; I'm just curious why it sounds so 'nasty' when it does clip. I thought my cartridge was busted at first...
This is the price to be paid for using the electronic volume control.

It is VERY GOOD (I would say better than most affordable stepped attenuators, you need a ToKo Stepper or a TVC to do significantly better) but it means if the signal becomes greater than the Volume Controls supply rail nasty stuff happens, not just clipping, but protection circuitry kicks in as well...

We run it as standard without series resistors in the Tram, as it sounds best that way. That said, maybe I'mm make an attenuated input with a Takman 100K standard for Phono, though we only had this issue two time so far, once with Clive and now with you.

Ciao T

Hide this!Advertise here!