DHT OTL Linestage - Tram 2 - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 3rd September 2011, 08:28 PM   #221
Desmo is offline Desmo  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Thorsten... Do you happen to have the scematic for the UVC in the Tram II..?

I would like to dim the blue LED's for the input selector and the volume, they are way to bright for my liking. I suppose there is a voltage drop resistor between the supply and the LED's that can be replaced with a larger value?

Thanks,
Morten
Old 4th September 2011, 03:49 AM   #222
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
I would like to dim the blue LED's for the input selector and the volume, they are way to bright for my liking. I suppose there is a voltage drop resistor between the supply and the LED's that can be replaced with a larger value?
The Resistors are R8 & R11, original 390 Ohm.

They are one each on the actual controls section (with LED's and rotary encoder) of the PCB.

Ciao T
Old 4th September 2011, 07:44 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Thank you for another fast reply Thorsten! It's so good to have you here to help us Tram II owners :-)

Thanks,
Morten
Old 8th September 2011, 03:13 PM   #224
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

The Resistors are R8 & R11, original 390 Ohm.

They are one each on the actual controls section (with LED's and rotary encoder) of the PCB.

Ciao T
Just to give an update on this for other Tram owners...

I have replaced the 390 ohm resistors with 2K ohm ones. IMHO this is a good balance: They are visible in day light, and not too bright at night...
Old 24th September 2011, 02:28 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

I have a funny behaviour of my last assembled Tram. On the start-up volume/selector board occasionally refuses to start. I have the valves working but no lights on the volume/selector boards. Power cycling usually fixes the problem. The controller chip is V2.1 - any insights?

Did not have this with other Trams that I assembled.
Old 24th October 2011, 08:18 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Any happy Tram owners lurking here? No issues for months, etc?

I've just ordered my 2nd Tram. The first had issues but was ultimately reliable after replacing some parts. I see people reporting issues recently but it seems it might be other things to blame in perhaps all cases (bad tubes, bad mains V).

I see talk of biasing now which is odd to me because my unit was autobias. At least I sure thought it was. Did that change?
Old 25th October 2011, 09:45 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

My Tram II is running fine.

I've been doing some tube rolling, spurred on by Morten's experiments. I was surprised to find the Mu tube has a noticeable sonic impact (the voltage stayed at close to 120V).

Chinese Mu + US Army 5U4 rectifier + Cunningham 2A3s
- Intimate sound
- Glassy edge - similar effect to microphonics, I had compensated for this elsewhere in my system

Svetlana Mu + Svet 5U3 + Cunningham 2A3s
- Rich and fullsome
- Good bass impact
- Tuneful mid / upper bass
- some mid sounds, eg piano, more distinct than with my 45s

Chinese Mu + Svet 5U3 + Cunningham 2A3s
- still a touch glassy, the Chinese Mu and US Army rectifer have similar characteristcs

Svetlana Mu + Svet 5U3 + Sylvania 45s
- Smooth
- Bass not as agile or powerful as the 2A3s

The Sylvania 45s measure well and are quiet - my other old 45s are noisy so it's great to have a some good 45s at my disposal.

The rolling sessions show how important it is to get the right balance across all 4 tubes with the Mu tube being more important than I had expected.

Last edited by clivetjm; 25th October 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:04 PM   #228
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Clive! That is very helpful.

[In my system previously I was pretty amazed to find the Tram held its own in most ways against a $9K Tom Evans Vibe/Pulse and exceeded it in some. Of course it was not *quite* as extended and tight on the bottom as that piece but what could one expect? The Tram remains my favorite tube linestage of all time and, boy, I have tried a lot of them.]
Old 26th October 2011, 10:45 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Yes, the Mu tube does for sure make a difference..! And if you're after a more tight bass I suggest trying out different Mu tubes. As you can see in the tube-rolling threads here on the forum I have tried several different tubes for all the positions in the Tram II. The biggest difference is the triodes for sure, but like Clive, I have experienced noticable differences in sound with different Mu tubes.

The NOS Svetlana's has a richer and more full sound, especially in the bass and midrange.

The NOS Cunningham I have are tighter and leaner compared to the Svetlanas.

For now I'm using Treasure 2A3-Z triodes, RCA 5R4GY rectifier and Cunningham 6AS7 Mu tube. In my system, that is a nice balance... If I use the same Rectifier and Mu tube together with my Sylvania 45's the sound get's too lean. So when using 45's as triodes I use the Svetlana rectifier and Mu tubes for their added richness and their more full sound in the bass...

Bottom line: You better roll all four tubes to get the best balance in your own system..!
Old 5th November 2011, 08:19 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to say that my new Tram is incredible. I don't know what was changed, but it is nearly completely silent, and I have NO microphonics issues even *without* tube dampers with either new Valve Art 2A3s or NOS 45s.

Hide this!Advertise here!