diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   DIY HiFi Supply (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diy-hifi-supply/)
-   -   General (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diy-hifi-supply/156481-general.html)

wicked1 1st December 2009 04:29 PM

amorphous output tx

Does anyone have more info on the amorphous output tx from diyhifisupply?

Also, I noticed the silk tx's listed on the site appear to be the old model. (too small in physical size and wattage to be the new ones, though the datasheet talks about the new model)
If someone from the company reads this thread.. Do you have the s325, and how much are they?

Thanks

bcherry 9th December 2009 05:53 PM

General

In order to limit the number threads and keep navigation simple I've opened this thread for any comments or questions that don't fit under the other topics.
Appreciate if no other threads be opened. I will try to keep things tidy by moving non-major subjects into this thread.
thanks
Brian

bcherry 9th December 2009 06:09 PM

S325 special edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicked1 (Post 1998334)
Does anyone have more info on the amorphous output tx from diyhifisupply?

Also, I noticed the silk tx's listed on the site appear to be the old model. (too small in physical size and wattage to be the new ones, though the datasheet talks about the new model)
If someone from the company reads this thread.. Do you have the s325, and how much are they?

Thanks

We have S325 0-8-16-22 in stock. $399 for a pair

regards
Brian

Hercules 17th December 2009 01:45 PM

Replace Eletrolytic Output Capacitor with Obbligato Gold Premium

Hi Brian:

Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BP electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V? I'm using Blackgate NX 47uF in Super E-Cap config, just want to try out can film cap fit the job here!

Hercules 23rd December 2009 08:14 AM

Replace Eletrolytic Output Capacitor with Obbligato Gold Premium

Hi Brian:

Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BiPolar electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V? I'm using Blackgate NX 47uF in Super E-Cap config, just want to try out can film cap fit the job here!

Also if I put 2 obbligato gold premium in parallel but in difference orientation like blackgate Super E-cap configuration, will I get any sonic benefit?

Merry X'mas

ThorstenL 25th December 2009 05:05 AM

Hi,

Let me answer this on Brian's behalf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 2022182)
Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BiPolar electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V?

In principle - yes. However, the Obbligato capacitors are physically much larger and may be a challenge to fit.

Also, to be honest, a value of 47uF is overkill. If the input impedance of your Amplifier/Preamplifier is for example 10Kohm a coupling capacitor of 2.2uF is sufficient ( ~ 7hz -3dB point). So 47uF can support the same LF extension for a 500 Ohm load, which may not be needed in your case.

From experience, small value & size (Film) capacitors have small sonic problems, big ones have big problems.

However with electrolytic capacitors a value of as much as 100 times the minimum can be beneficial, as they are subject to electrochemical processes which cause audible (and measurable) distortion, which seems to reduce with larger values and has been shown to be lower in certain audio grade capacitors (Elna Cerafine & Elna Silmic) compared to standard units of the same value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 2022182)
Also if I put 2 obbligato gold premium in parallel but in difference orientation like blackgate Super E-cap configuration, will I get any sonic benefit?

We have not tried this, but based on the construction of the Obbligato Capacitors I tend to doubt it.

In closing I would suggest to try the smallest value capacitor that will give sufficient low frequency response for your actual Amplifier/Preamplifier. With a 4.7uF Capacitor you are fine for loads down to 5KOhm, which is as low as I would sensibly expect, so I would recommend this unless you have really good reason's why a larger value is needed.

Kind regards Thorsten

Hercules 25th December 2009 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Thorsten, the Value of 47uF is the original size installed in the player.

I think it's ok for my player to fit a gigantic 47uF/250V cap with a metal case, just want to try out the sound of film cap instead of Electrolytic.

ThorstenL 26th December 2009 03:51 AM

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 2024207)
Thanks Thorsten, the Value of 47uF is the original size installed in the player.

This is kind of standard as value (or slightly larger), but does not mean such a large value is needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules (Post 2024207)
I think it's ok for my player to fit a gigantic 47uF/250V cap with a metal case, just want to try out the sound of film cap instead of Electrolytic.

Sure, your call, it has just been my experience that the smaller value film capacitors tend to sound better (more open, better 3d space, better tone) than large ones, if they can be used (eg. value is large enough).

Kind regards Thorsten

Hercules 26th December 2009 02:04 PM

Thanks Thorsten, maybe I can try the experiment start with 4.7uF and 10uF first, If I found the sound is great, I still have room to put one more pair in parallel!

driguy 28th December 2009 08:43 PM

If they will fit I would certainly give them a try. I was running the BG caps in the Super E configuration in my NOS DAC and replaced them with film caps after hearing a friends' identical unit with film output caps. Huge difference even with the Super E caps.