General

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Module Showcase

I've started posting your projects as well as the ones we've done in in-house on our Module Showcase page.
If there is anyone that would like to have their projects featured (with permission), please drop me a line with some pictures and comments.
Getting your comments and implementations will help us with future revisons to the modules as well, so are much appreciated.
regards
Brian

LD91 - One amp down!

Can anyone point me to what might have gone wrong here please?

One of my LD91+ amps was shorted via its speaker cable for a while (who let that bl***y puppy into MY listening room?!!). So I discovered it some time later and its now not working.

So to those with more electronics skills that I have, what is the most obvious thing that could have been taken out by doing this? The secondary Output TX still reads the same value as the other one at just over 1 ohm from the 16 ohm tap. But what else will have blown?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Hi,

One of my LD91+ amps was shorted via its speaker cable for a while (who let that bl***y puppy into MY listening room?!!). So I discovered it some time later and its now not working.

"Not working" covers a wide range of problems. Could you kindly narrow it down?

Does the Amplifier power up at all (if not check fuse)?

Do the tubes heaters all light up?

Do the tubes emit normal amounts of heat?

Ciao T

Hi Thorsten, thanks for replying. And long time no speak, I hope you are well. I'm still enjoying my front horn / dipole bass system that you helped inspire me to build a number of years ago!

I realise I should have given more detail on the LD91 than I did, so my bad.

The amp does power up ok, but only makes a hum through the bass system, with a normal signal, so I'm guessing this is a mains frequency.

Heaters are fine, I swapped all valves from the other amp one by one, then back again to check they were still ok.

I'm going to get them both apart today to check the HT windings etc, and see what I can establish.

Brian will know that I've had these amps apart a few times now. As over-voltage at my house managed to fry the HT windings twice now!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Hi J,

Hi Thorsten, thanks for replying. And long time no speak, I hope you are well.

Pretty well, thank you. Getting a lot of sleepless nights thanks to a nearly three month old young lady called Roxana...

The amp does power up ok, but only makes a hum through the bass system, with a normal signal, so I'm guessing this is a mains frequency.

Heaters are fine, I swapped all valves from the other amp one by one, then back again to check they were still ok.

When you swapped the Valves over, the same fault stayed with the Valves, yes?

I'm going to get them both apart today to check the HT windings etc, and see what I can establish.

I guess that will have to be the next step.

Brian will know that I've had these amps apart a few times now. As over-voltage at my house managed to fry the HT windings twice now!

Some UK Mains are notoriously bad. One place where I worked in London we had problems that batteries in our UPS's for the server room ended up completely shot and in need of replacement several times in under 1/2 Year. With around a dozen servers and individual UPS on each that got expensive quick. And we had many PC's and monitors in the offices blow up their power supplies (usually one or two a month, some times more), lightbulbs and fluorescent strip lighting were constantly out.

We eventually put a paper strip recorder on the Mains and found regular and persistent variations between 215V (lowest) and 264V (highest), all of which of course was outside the standards for power delivery (and which incidentally got the UPS's kick in to protect the severs, thus massively cycling the batteries).

The best response we got from the power company was a shrug and "sue us"...

That place eventually invested around 20 or 30K IIRC into a massive multiphase 50KVA on line UPS System and put every PC, server and Lightbulb on it. After that the PC's stopped blowing up, lightbulbs and fluorescent lights lasted forever and our maintanance cost on most electrical things dropped to near zero.

Maybe time to put your whole system onto a suitable UPS? With some added filtering and maybe a mains balancing transformer with electrostatic shield even common inexpensive UPS systems perform quite well for audio systems.

At least it can cut the costs of tube (and transformer) replacements and IME does improve sound consistency and quality quite a bit.

Ciao T

Hi T, thanks again,

Getting a lot of sleepless nights thanks to a nearly three month old young lady called Roxana...

Congratulations! And yes understand that condition very well (x3!).

When you swapped the Valves over, the same fault stayed with the Valves, yes?

Yes, the amp is still not working with the other valves in it.

I guess that will have to be the next step.

Yes. I will post an update, hope to get to that today. I miss my nice sounds!

And thanks for the insight and suggestions regarding the UK mains. I have recorded up to 265V here on a number of occassions. And actually it seems to be a Friday night / Saturday morning thing. I accidentally left the amps on overnight and then came back to fried amp in the morning! And then measured 265V until around 11am that day! And yes my mains supplier didn't want to know either.

I'll look into the UPS things. I was thinking of going for a balanced transformer with a step down to lower the voltage. I have lowered my HT voltages a bit anyway to cope with the problem. The LD91's definitely sound better that way.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Really weird!

I got both amps on the bench and tested the DCR on the TX's and the voltages, with and without valves in with them switched on.

The first time I tested the faulty amp, I got no HT voltage on the rectifier (but around 825V on the good one). So after I fully tested the other amp, and went back to the faulty one, I prodded a few solder joints and redressed the wires coming out of the TX, and then hey presto it worked! I now get all the correct voltages (790v AC on the HT). I connected it up to my iPod and an older speaker and it does seem fine!

Its a bit worrying though. I don't beleive that what I did should have fixed it.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi,

The first time I tested the faulty amp, I got no HT voltage on the rectifier (but around 825V on the good one). So after I fully tested the other amp, and went back to the faulty one, I prodded a few solder joints and redressed the wires coming out of the TX, and then hey presto it worked! I now get all the correct voltages (790v AC on the HT). I connected it up to my iPod and an older speaker and it does seem fine!

Its a bit worrying though. I don't beleive that what I did should have fixed it.

It suggests something has an "intermittent contact". Hard to say where exactly, you will have to poke around, CAREFULLY, using an all plastic biro or the like.

Ciao T

Basie Tube Question

I have an old Basie line only preamp that has the wood front panel. Currently, I am using three 12AU7's, but I also have two GE 5963 tubes and a Westinghouse 12BH7A that I received with my kit many years ago. I would like to try the 2 5963 tubes and 12BH7A tube, but have missed placed my manual and do not remember which position the 12BH7A goes in. Facing the front of the Basie with position 1 being left, 2 being middle and 3 being right, could someone please tell me which tube socket the 12BH7A goes in?

Thank you.
Doug

Currently, listening with my "emergency" set of 12AU7's (old set of Telefunken's). When I turn everything off tonight, I'll insert the GE 5963's and Westinghouse 12BH7A tubes. Then, tomorrow night I can listen with the new set (wife and daughter will be out) and will post what I think.

For a point of reference, my current setup consists of :
Welborne Labs DRD 2A3 mono blocks (built from kit);
DIY HIFI Basie I preamp (built from kit);
Eastern Electric Minimax Phono stage (was going to build a kit, but wanted instant gratification);
Linn Axis turntable/Basik Plus arm with Grado Master cart;
Klipsch LaScala speakers (ALK xovers, Crities tweeters);
ACI Maestro XL subwoofer (with external amp);
And, a really, really, really old Rotel CD player;

Just for the record, the "emergency" set of Telefunken's sound pretty good. Very open and dynamic.

Have been listening to the GE 5963's and Westinghouse 12BH7A tubes in my Basie I for several days. Compared to the Telefunken's 12AU7 tubes, the 5963/12BH7A combination sounds recessed and distant. The bass seemed to be a little stronger and the highs on some music seemed a little more realistic. But, again things seemed to be muted compared to the Telefunken's.

I'm not good at putting into words what I hear. And, I'm not a music/stereo reviewer. But, to my ears, with my stereo, the Telefunken 12AU7 sounds warmer, more dynamic and clearly sounds "better."

LD+ Mk2 PSU transformer question

Hi

I have a LD+ MK2 and I am playing with different driver arrangements and am considering the use of a C3M pentode like in the Legacy amplifier. However, I think this driver needs about 30mA to get it to work properly and am concerned that the LD transformer might not be sufficient.

I bought the amplifier partially built from the bargain bin at DIY Hifi supply and I seem to recall Brian saying that it had uprated transformers. Certainly when I took the cover off it is not torroidal. It is a large standard frame transformer with alot of laminations painted black with black tape over the windings. Unfortunately there is no writing on the transformer to identify it.

Could someone please advise me of the HT current capacity of the transformer.

Cheers
Ian

P.S. I am aware that I will have to arrange a 20V heater supply for the C3M.

Hi,

Could someone please advise me of the HT current capacity of the transformer.

I recall the original LD Transformers where rated around 200mA, giving 140mA DC limit (in theory anyway). The current range should have retained these ratings.

So 30mA Driver and a 300B at 80mA should be no issue.

Ciao T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.