General

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amorphous output tx

Does anyone have more info on the amorphous output tx from diyhifisupply?

Also, I noticed the silk tx's listed on the site appear to be the old model. (too small in physical size and wattage to be the new ones, though the datasheet talks about the new model)
If someone from the company reads this thread.. Do you have the s325, and how much are they?

Thanks

S325 special edition

Does anyone have more info on the amorphous output tx from diyhifisupply?

Also, I noticed the silk tx's listed on the site appear to be the old model. (too small in physical size and wattage to be the new ones, though the datasheet talks about the new model)
If someone from the company reads this thread.. Do you have the s325, and how much are they?

Thanks

We have S325 0-8-16-22 in stock. $399 for a pair

regards
Brian

Replace Eletrolytic Output Capacitor with Obbligato Gold Premium

Hi Brian:

Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BP electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V? I'm using Blackgate NX 47uF in Super E-Cap config, just want to try out can film cap fit the job here!

Replace Eletrolytic Output Capacitor with Obbligato Gold Premium

Hi Brian:

Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BiPolar electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V? I'm using Blackgate NX 47uF in Super E-Cap config, just want to try out can film cap fit the job here!

Also if I put 2 obbligato gold premium in parallel but in difference orientation like blackgate Super E-cap configuration, will I get any sonic benefit?

Merry X'mas

Hi,

Let me answer this on Brian's behalf.

Is it possible to replace the 47uF/50V BiPolar electrolytic Capacitor in my SACD player with Obbligato Gold Premium 47uF/400V?

In principle - yes. However, the Obbligato capacitors are physically much larger and may be a challenge to fit.

Also, to be honest, a value of 47uF is overkill. If the input impedance of your Amplifier/Preamplifier is for example 10Kohm a coupling capacitor of 2.2uF is sufficient ( ~ 7hz -3dB point). So 47uF can support the same LF extension for a 500 Ohm load, which may not be needed in your case.

From experience, small value & size (Film) capacitors have small sonic problems, big ones have big problems.

However with electrolytic capacitors a value of as much as 100 times the minimum can be beneficial, as they are subject to electrochemical processes which cause audible (and measurable) distortion, which seems to reduce with larger values and has been shown to be lower in certain audio grade capacitors (Elna Cerafine & Elna Silmic) compared to standard units of the same value.

Also if I put 2 obbligato gold premium in parallel but in difference orientation like blackgate Super E-cap configuration, will I get any sonic benefit?

We have not tried this, but based on the construction of the Obbligato Capacitors I tend to doubt it.

In closing I would suggest to try the smallest value capacitor that will give sufficient low frequency response for your actual Amplifier/Preamplifier. With a 4.7uF Capacitor you are fine for loads down to 5KOhm, which is as low as I would sensibly expect, so I would recommend this unless you have really good reason's why a larger value is needed.

Kind regards Thorsten

Thanks Thorsten, the Value of 47uF is the original size installed in the player.

I think it's ok for my player to fit a gigantic 47uF/250V cap with a metal case, just want to try out the sound of film cap instead of Electrolytic.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 468
Hello,

Thanks Thorsten, the Value of 47uF is the original size installed in the player.

This is kind of standard as value (or slightly larger), but does not mean such a large value is needed.

I think it's ok for my player to fit a gigantic 47uF/250V cap with a metal case, just want to try out the sound of film cap instead of Electrolytic.

Sure, your call, it has just been my experience that the smaller value film capacitors tend to sound better (more open, better 3d space, better tone) than large ones, if they can be used (eg. value is large enough).

Kind regards Thorsten

Duhhhh

Hi,

Let me answer this on Brian's behalf.

In principle - yes. However, the Obbligato capacitors are physically much larger and may be a challenge to fit.

Also, to be honest, a value of 47uF is overkill. If the input impedance of your Amplifier/Preamplifier is for example 10Kohm a coupling capacitor of 2.2uF is sufficient ( ~ 7hz -3dB point). So 47uF can support the same LF extension for a 500 Ohm load, which may not be needed in your case.

From experience, small value & size (Film) capacitors have small sonic problems, big ones have big problems.

However with electrolytic capacitors a value of as much as 100 times the minimum can be beneficial, as they are subject to electrochemical processes which cause audible (and measurable) distortion, which seems to reduce with larger values and has been shown to be lower in certain audio grade capacitors (Elna Cerafine & Elna Silmic) compared to standard units of the same value.

We have not tried this, but based on the construction of the Obbligato Capacitors I tend to doubt it.

In closing I would suggest to try the smallest value capacitor that will give sufficient low frequency response for your actual Amplifier/Preamplifier. With a 4.7uF Capacitor you are fine for loads down to 5KOhm, which is as low as I would sensibly expect, so I would recommend this unless you have really good reason's why a larger value is needed.

Kind regards Thorsten

:D

Attachments

• Russian-PIO.jpg
    Russian-PIO.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 209
Thanks Thorsten, the Film Cap replacement gives immediate rewards on every sonic aspect, better textures and fullier bodies, less fatigue sounding, great seperation and sound stage.

And thanks for Brian for bringing Obbligato to market for such great value cap, especially the pricing of film audio cap were quite pricey and bulky for such large value over 10uF, Obligato strike the right balance for me (far cheaper than Auricap and similar pricing as MCap MKP but sounding more superior.)

Thanks for commenting, analog_sa. Would that it were that easy. The voltage in the States is 120v at 60hz, whereas the voltage in Europe is 240v at 50hz, so a transformer is not the answer to the problem, due to the speed/cycle issues.

At the same time, I'm slightly wary of expending too much time and effort on this, as the turntable wasn't hugely expensive in the first place, and the arm/cartridge are of course salvageable. It may well be the cheapest option simply to pick up a 120v turntable without arm. Seems a shame, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.