Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > DIY HiFi Supply

DIY HiFi Supply Parts and Kits from Diy HiFi Supply

Old 24th June 2009, 12:13 PM   #1
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Default UTS - Universal Tube Stage

Nick Whetstone of TNT,(one of the earliest webzines), has just posted a review of the EZ Linestage.
Read it here
Shop for it here
Old 24th June 2009, 12:15 PM   #2
bcherry is offline bcherry  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bcherry
Default Universal Tube Stage

I want to draw attention to the centre-piece of the EZ Linestage: the UTS (Universal Tube Stage) module.

It was designed as an EZ add-on output stage for a CD/DVD, allowing the removal of the most serious limitation in modern players: the opamps. The trick is to accomplish this without using a cathode follower or buffer, which has its own liabilities. The UTS output is taken from the anode; much of its good sound is attributable to allowing the anode to play its natural role

Coincidentally, the 0.5v > 2V gain needed by a CD player outputs suggests its application in a modern linestage - ergo the EZ linestage.

However if we series a pair of UTS and set the jumpers to highest gain we now have a state-of-the-art quiet phono stage, just needing a simple RIAA network in between.

So: UTS module >>CD/DVD tube output stage>>EZ linestage>>EZ phono stage.

But that's not all! One power transformer can power two UTS modules so if we wanted a balanced output stage - just use two and configure as shown in the instruction manual.

The Universal Tube Stage does it all.

Family picture attached.

Also we will momentarily have our Ultimate Volume Control working together with the EZ Linesstage. This will be the ultimate in transparency and utility.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default UTS questions

Hello musiclovers,

Some time ago I bought a Universal Tube Output module from DIYhifi supply. I intend to hook it up directly to DAC chip my 'lampucera' cs4397 dac. If I am not mistaken the CS 4397 chip falls under case 3.14, page 28 of the UTS installation manual pdf. This means: no jumpers, use analogue ground and L- and R+ from the CS chip for signal.

question 1: why not use R- and L- from the CS4397?

question 2: when I preform a diode test on the UTS green output connectors, R and L ground seem to be connected to R and L out respectively. In other words, the ground and signal out connections seems shorted on the UTS module. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance
Old 19th April 2010, 01:55 AM   #4
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannoyD700 View Post
Some time ago I bought a Universal Tube Output module from DIYhifi supply. I intend to hook it up directly to DAC chip my 'lampucera' cs4397 dac. If I am not mistaken the CS 4397 chip falls under case 3.14, page 28 of the UTS installation manual pdf. This means: no jumpers, use analogue ground and L- and R+ from the CS chip for signal.

question 1: why not use R- and L- from the CS4397?
That was a misprint in the manual, sorry. It should be R- & L-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannoyD700 View Post
question 2: when I preform a diode test on the UTS green output connectors, R and L ground seem to be connected to R and L out respectively. In other words, the ground and signal out connections seems shorted on the UTS module. Is this normal?
Yes, this is normal. The UTS Module has a relay based muting and switch-on delay circuit. Hence the outputs are shorted when the Module is not powered (and for around 30 Seconds after switchon).

Ciao T
Old 8th April 2011, 05:02 AM   #5
tongwi is offline tongwi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Version 1.2? No jumper settings??

I got the Universal Tube Output stage today. The board doesn't have any jumper, I have no idea how to set between current out/voltage out DAC output. (My CD player is philips 963sa, has AD1955 DAC) Also, there is no v reference input as the installation manual shown.
It seems like I got the newer version, as it has"v1.2" marked on the board. Anyway, I cannot do anything now. Any document for the latest board?

Please help!

Thanks!
William

Last edited by tongwi; 8th April 2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 8th November 2012, 01:30 AM   #6
ozcal is offline ozcal  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Hi,

That was a misprint in the manual, sorry. It should be R- & L-.

Ciao T
Hi Thorsten , why R-&L- rather than R+&L+ ?
Old 18th December 2013, 05:10 AM   #7
twlai is offline twlai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have recently bought a UTS and is installed in my DAC running dual WM8741. The chips also falls under case 3.14 on page 28 of the manual. I confirm that it should be L- and R+ should be used.

However, after I use it for around 2 minutes, the sound goes away and I have to turn the volume to 3 O'clock to hear some weak sound. I use 2.2uf Jensen Copper Foil capacitor as the coupling cap. What could be the cause of the weak sound after 2 minutes' operation? Is it because of the Jensen cap?

Regards,
Peter
Old 19th December 2013, 11:41 AM   #8
twlai is offline twlai  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I figure it out. It does not work due to the faulty E88CC.

Hide this!Advertise here!