Ultimate Volume Control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm not Brian, but I have one of these playing here, I must add I am using Shunt Mode (=-6dB gain) and Tube Stage set to 6dB Gain, meaning in the end of the day the thing is unity gain at full up.

At 6dB gain the Tube stage uses 24dB local feedback and hence is pretty transparent. So much for background.

How do you characterize the sound quality of the UVC versus your AVC or TVC? Which is more transparent sounding?

I don't have a TVC (or AVC) at hand, the UVC in Shunt Mode plus UTS replaced a 10K Noble Pot passive in my system.

Detail is about even stevens (despite the UVC based preamp being active) the active preamp sounds a little bigger, blowsier and a little more diffuse. No obvious "solid state" signature, unlike the CS and BB solid state pots.

I love the remote capability and the ability to set the volume in incredibly precise intervals. I have re-programmed the MCE remote that controls my PC digital source to control the UVC.

Couch potato heaven, cue up the music on the remote, change the volume remotely and have the girlfriend bring me red wine and cheese. Never have to get up at all.

Better get my "less convenient" system back into work, I'm putting on weight.

Is it possible to adjust the fet buffer of the UVC to have a gain of 6db?

Looking at the principle schematic at the diyhifisupply site, no way Jose! No can no do, sorry.

Ciao T

mkc

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi T,

You lucky devil... My wife does buy the red wine, though :D

Sorry for going OT.

I do have a pair fo S&B TX-102 MKIII (from the diyaudio group buy), I believe, in the basement, that I never got around wiring up. One of these days...

cheers,
mkc

Hello Brian,

How do you characterize the sound quality of the UVC versus your AVC or TVC? Which is more transparent sounding?

Thank you.

It is close but in a resolving system (such as the horn ribbon based one we are now using) the TVC comes out as a little more transparent and detailed. Dynamics about equal. However that requires source/load impedances friendly to a TVC because if a little less than ideal, the scales tip the other way (the first thing to go is the dynamics). Using a TVC means the other components need to be selected for the sake of the TVC whereas one could drop the UVC into most any system and get very good results.

regards
Brian

Hi,

How do you implement the UVC in a balanced configuration? I am thinking of building a balanced Pass B1 but would like to ad remote volume control. I don't care about remote switching.

Use two Audio Modules and use one for each channel, so L becomes (+) and R becomes (-).

You realise that the UVC has the option for an embedded DC Coupled B1 style Buffer, just add a pair of LSK389 or matched singles of 2SK170 et al.

Ciao T

When has so much ever been so EZ? The Ultimate Volume Control system together with the Universal Tube Stage in a Projekt box.

UVC running in shunt mode driving the Universal Tube Stage set for 12db gain.

All fits together in the 240mm Projekt chassis and makes for a great active linestage with no noise, only music.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

how much would such a project cost expect the chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.