add digital out to Technics SL-PG 200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2007, 05:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default add digital out to Technics SL-PG 200

I need to add a digital out to above player. The same PCB is apparently used for the 400 and 500 models which have a digital out.

I have located the datasheet of the decoder
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/data...6/MN6626.shtml

but it is more than basic.

Does anybody know if the dig out is disabled / enabled by software as in most Philips chipsets?

Why would the digital output interface on the chip have an input named MEMP?

Thanks
Old 9th April 2007, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The datasheet does not seem to show anything that I could identify as an enable/disable pin. I would bet that the "TX" pin is sitting there outputting SPDIF signal waiting to be used. Try connecting it to an output jack, with a 75ohm(50-100ohm is near enough) in between & the jack grounded to the main board & see if connecting it to a DAC unit produces music. Probably will.
Old 9th April 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, with most Philips decoders, the output is software controlled, but I might give it a try.
Old 10th April 2007, 02:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I seem to recall adding an SPDIF out to a player with this same Panasonic decoder chip & not needing to enable the pin. It's not unusual, really.
Old 17th April 2007, 11:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I checked with a scope, without even taking out the PCB, just by sticking the probe into a hole for a non-existant resistor that had the label "SL-PG 400/500 only" printed nearby, and yes, the output seems to be happily chattering to itself.

I then inserted a resistor into that hole and by heating from above, got it soldered into that very hole.

Now, the player refuses to read the disks

I doubt I killed the decoder though electrostatic discharge, because I am always careful to toucht the chassis first, so I will have to check whether a solder blob formed on the lower side of the PCB.
Old 17th April 2007, 09:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Took out the PCB - no solder blob, but also no supply decoupling near the decoder to speak of. Reconnected, still not playing. Considered cleaning the bearing of the CDM4 swing arm but decided to play with the focus adjust first. Giving the pot a 2 random twist while trying to find the right hex bit did the job!
Old 18th April 2007, 04:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

It sounds like you are saying you got it working again, but I am not quite sure. In any case, very weird behaviour which suggests to me that you should check for cracked/suspicious looking solder connections on the entire PCB. Look particularly around heat-generating parts, such as voltage regulators and large resistors, and on connector pins.
Old 2nd May 2010, 04:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock View Post
Took out the PCB - no solder blob, but also no supply decoupling near the decoder to speak of. Reconnected, still not playing. Considered cleaning the bearing of the CDM4 swing arm but decided to play with the focus adjust first. Giving the pot a 2 random twist while trying to find the right hex bit did the job!
Did you get a square wave signal? How did it look/sound? Curious, as i have a SL-PG100 in the garage with the same chip. Before i plug-in the soldering pencil, just wanted to know your general results.

Hide this!Advertise here!