Anyone tweaked the Marantz CD65DX ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2001, 09:13 PM   #1
peted is offline peted  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, the Net doesn't seem to have heard of this model

I'm looking for cheap tweaks for starters - I have the manual & diags. There's lot's of stuff out there for the CD63/67 etc. How do these relate to the CD65DX?

This player sounds poor particularly on low level signals. Unmusical too. Harshness on many female vocals. It's circa mid 80's I beleive, purchased in the UK.

Cheers

Pete

[Edited by peted on 10-26-2001 at 04:18 PM]
Old 12th July 2002, 08:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default I also own that one...tweaked a bit

Hi!!

Dont know how much I can help- try the non-oversampling modifications that have been discussed on Audioasykum and here. The player uses the classic chipset. I wanted to, really but could not get the transport out with ease (somehow complicated this...)

In my unit the opamps have been replaced, this has been done by a friend- I wont recommend these types but there must be potential
Remove the muting resitors, this is recommended from my experience with a cd67, my cd65 has not got any any more, the said friend claims it did help in this case too. You will here a popping noise when switching the unit on /off then, though.

He did also replace the output coupling caps with good quality foil Siemens MKL (ppfilm/cellulose mix) Others may be too transparent.

----just my two cent, there is a lot money spent on those non oversampling modfcations by others.., I would take these as a first place issue

Btw This guy who sold the unit to me always said it was his most beloved player, and he always wanted to place it -once- in a good sounding wood enclosure

kind regards
*Philipp
Old 16th October 2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Yomanze is offline Yomanze  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know the difference between the CD65DX and the other CD65 models? I notice it has "digital monitoring series" printed on it, so I'm guessing that it's the most "premium" model of the CD65 series?
Old 16th October 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
ssmith is offline ssmith  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peted
Well, the Net doesn't seem to have heard of this model

I'm looking for cheap tweaks for starters - I have the manual & diags. There's lot's of stuff out there for the CD63/67 etc. How do these relate to the CD65DX?

This player sounds poor particularly on low level signals. Unmusical too. Harshness on many female vocals. It's circa mid 80's I beleive, purchased in the UK.

Cheers

Pete

[Edited by peted on 10-26-2001 at 04:18 PM]
Don;t think it would be worth your while over the long term -- you may find that just when (if) you get it sounding OK, the transport mechanism will give up on you. The model looks like it is getting on a bit, and those mechanisms don;t last forever. So I doubt it would be worth putting any money into it. However there are some cheap tweaks that may be worth trying -- like damping and so on.

Pburke has a nice site with documented CD/DVD player mods: http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio/ (look at the Toshiba & Cambridge audio mods).

Then you might like to look at bypassing the output stage or something.

Hide this!Advertise here!