Help ! Philips CD650 in trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Kiwi_guy here, with my first post. This is a fantastic forum.

Having read a lot on this site about the virtues of these old multibit (tda1541) players I bought a 650 as an upgrade project.

Being a complete newbie to pcb's and soldering, my first step was to upgrade just the small value signal path caps, using Nichicons, as recommended on another diyAudio thread.

Things didn't go too well unfortunately. When playing CD, there is only a loud hum coming from the standard outputs, while from the 'additional filters' output there is a distorted music signal plus the hum also.

Part of the problem is where I tried to fix a pcb track that lifted during soldering, it is beside the left channel o/p cap. My repair job was pretty horrendous, I'm afraid.

Is there anyone who can post/email a Philips CD650 service manual thanks (for a small fee to cover costs).

I want to get this sorted by a pro, and maybe learn a bit more about doing these things properly, before going on to do some of the mods that I had originally intended.

Messages of encouragement would also be welcome !

Steve

Hi Steve,
It's obvious you tried to do too many things at one go.
Adding the "aditional filter" was imo the thing that put a spanner in the works.If you had just replace the caps one to one and retested you would be fine.Even if your soldering was horrendous
but correct it would not matter.Perhaps it will be a good thing to temperarily remove this filter which I suspect you have made some wrong connections or terminated the ground improperly.
Recheck all connections for continuity.I think you will get it running
again.

BTW you got a good cd player as a base to make it a true audiophile player.Congratulations.

Philips CD650 service manual ?

Hi Singa

Many thanks for your advice.

My problem description has possibly confused you as the 'additional filters' circuit already existed in the CDP.

All I did was replace some caps in the analogue stage but, as you correctly point out, there is possibly some fault(s) caused in the grounding.

This is why I need to obtain a circuit diagram, or service manual from someone.

Can anyone help me here ?

Thanks,
Steve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.