AD1954 (SigmaDSP) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2003, 06:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question AD1954 (SigmaDSP)

Hi all,
I am planning to build myself a 2.1 amplifier with digital and analog inputs, and with the Analog Devices SigmaDSP doing volume control and implementing a 7-band equalizer. Thought of using the AD1892 as an S/PDIF receiver, and a PCM1801 as an ADC (for the analog input). Has anyone done any work on the sigmaDSP? I have the devices with me (samples which ADI very kindly sent me), but they say the software for it is available only to people who buy the eval board, and I dont have that much money. I found bimbla's question on this DSP unanswered, so I thought I'd try again. Any inputs will be very helpful. I've never worked with digital audio before, and never done SMT soldering, either Thanks.
Old 14th January 2003, 06:36 PM   #2
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Suggest you pick an easier project than ADC+DIR+DSP+DAC to start! That sounds very complex. It is hard enough getting DIR+DAC to work without adding the complexity of a DSP that you don't have known working code for,
Old 15th January 2003, 02:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi tiroth,
Well, the idea seems feasable because the number of chips will be low, just three (ADC, DIR, DSP), since the DSP includes three DACs. Also, the DSP comes pre-programmed with code that implements the features i mentioned (EQ, etc.). All that's needed is a microcontroller to send it volume, EQ controls, etc. That I'm familiar with, I've made several uC based projects before (only two dealt with audio).
Anyone who can give me a couple of pointers on things like layout criteria for the DACs etc.? It's usually the layout that screws up anything which mixes audio and digital.
I found one post (forgot where ) which had a picture of SMTs (TQFPs, SOICs and (gasp!) TSSOPs) wired together with very thin wire, all stuck onto a Kapton tape. Will such a technique provide acceptable audio performance? I can only see problems with power supply bypassing for the digital parts.
Old 7th August 2003, 12:17 PM   #4
Achimek is offline Achimek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default ad1954 is a fine chip

i use two ad1954 chips to build a 3 way active xover. it is combined with a cs8420 as digital transceiver and a ad1871 as ad-converter. the whole system is booted with a microcontroller and i generated an labbiew interface for generating iir filter coefficients.

soon my project will be on my website.
Old 14th April 2004, 11:00 PM   #5
Demir is offline Demir  Canada
diyAudio Member

How do you create the labview interface ? To my knowledge, ADI doesn't offer the source code.
Old 15th April 2004, 05:24 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You dont need that interface software, it is used only with the 1954 eval board. I plan to use an MCU to control the DSPs and S/PDIF receivers. The SPI interface to the DSP is well documented, I guess it will be easy to do. I finished making the board, I have yet to test it for lack of test equipment
Old 15th April 2004, 06:20 PM   #7
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Holy cow, a DSP xover is exactly the project I have always wanted, but it's over my head. I look forward to seeing your plans!

Is it also capable of FIR filter?

Edit: Oh I see, the AD1954 has it's own on-board DAC. I'm much more interested in a DSP crossover with digital outputs.
Old 15th April 2004, 07:17 PM   #8
Demir is offline Demir  Canada
diyAudio Member

JWB: You can set it up for digital outputs

Roadkill: I am referring to Archimek's comments re the GUI
Old 16th April 2004, 09:12 AM   #9
alfsch is offline alfsch  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,
is there any (free) software for ad1954?
mfg
alf
Old 16th April 2004, 05:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

To design FIR filter coefficients, you can use the formulae given at the end of the datasheet. You can enter these into matlab to plot their freq response.

Hide this!Advertise here!