Superclock 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know the voltage for Superclock 3?

I just got one of the surplus ones from pcX. Of course it came with nothing but the clock and cable, no spec sheet or anything else.

RAM forum has a thread instructing to connect to the 5V transport regulator on my Marantz 8260. So I have done that, and the thing won't power up.

Then I did locate on old thread here with essentially the same question, and answer was that SC3 PSU puts out 12V.

General Audiocom instructions state anything from 9V to 18V, as long as it's steady.

Can anyone conform that 12V is the proper voltage for Superclock 3?

Thanks in advance

Did you connect to the in or out pin of the regulator?

The Clock PSU is regulated so typically you need at least 3 volts above the regulated voltage of I assume 5V. You should find this on the input pin of the regulator you used.

I guess the theory is that the higher the input voltage to the regulator, the more you chop off and that leaves a more ripple free portion as the ripple is in the top of the voltage range of trhe raw supply. There s obviously a maximum difference between input and regulated voltage the regulator can cope with as well.

12 Volt should be just fine btw.

Hi, stvnharr

I installed the Audiocom Superclock3 in my Meridian 206 Delta Sigma CD player two years ago. The generic information Audiocom provides is that the +V DC in of the Clock must be connected “to a DC supply between +9 and +18 volts DC”, but taken from the digital section supply and not from the analog supply. They said this:

“Most CD & SACD players will use a combination of 7807, 7809, 7812 and 7815 three pin voltage regulator I/C's for their positive analogue power supplies. Try not to connect the Clock to these regulators as you will add clock noise to the analogue stages and impair performance. The digital supplies in most CD players are fed from a 5 volt regulator - normally a 7805. The input side i.e. pin 1 (with the text on the regulator facing towards you, lead-wires facing down, pin 1 is on the left) is usually several volts higher than 5V and is the ideal place to put the red twisted wire.”

In my case this available voltage before the LM7805 (via a wire soldered to its pin 1) was just 9.7v, but the Superclock3 worked fine (and it still works two years later).
I hope this helps…

Regards
Jose

Marantz 8260/SC3 troubles

Additional issues have occurred since installation of the SC3 in my Marantz 8260. At the first serious listening session, after a disc play assuring that everything worked okay, there was a loud booming static noise 20 minutes into the listening, in the right front channel. There was still music underneath the noise, but the noise was deafening.
I discovered that this noise was evident only in the right front sacd channel, 2 channel and 5 channel. The right front in rbcd play was perfect.
Also, disc reading errors sometimes now occur, but recycling seems to alleviate this. This did not occur before SC3 installation.

Does the above indicate a clock issue or something else that might be more difficult to fix?

Any ideas helpful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.