Sony CDP-X222ES tracking problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there, been having trouble with a second hand sony cdp-x222es.
The player has better sound than my old marantz cd 46, and so I would like to try and "salvage" it.
It tends to skip and/or get stuck at the end of cd's with many tracks (16+).
So far I have cleaned the lens (no help), and tried to adjust the mini pots located near the lens (laser-power??). The problem is that there are 3 of them, anyway, I only rotated 1 of them about 10 degrees. Now the player got a little better, however it keeps getting stuck at the outer extreme of the disc.
I will try to clean the mechanisms too, although the player is in good condition inside (not too much dust).
Any suggestions? Also I am trying to find the pickup replacement but no luck until now...
Please help me out here...

Attachments

• cdpx222es-laser.jpg
    cdpx222es-laser.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 422
Try cleaning and relubricating the slides and drive mechanism. Old lubricant tends to get sticky especially near the end of the travel. There are quite a few threads around on what to use and I've found Tamiya switch grease works well. If you can get your hands on some Molykote EM-30L, even better. PBR rubber grease (castor oil based for car brake parts) is supposed to be good, but have yet to try it. Don't use any silicon spray or products as it works it's way everywhere.

Don't play around with the pots on the laser as they are factory set. You should be able to find the KSS240A laser for it if required as it's very common.... I'm sure that's the right one.

thanx for the advice rabbitz!
it worked (at least the first cd that used to cause problems...)
I just finished cleaning and greasing and the disc played smoothly. Returned that pot at default position too.
I also blew the s**t out of that lens with some cleaning blower i had around.
thanx again.
I had already bought the schematics though thinking in future mods-tweaks.... I do not have ANY experience in electronics apart from the speakers I once built and basic circutry knowledge. Will try to start reading other mod projects and try to make some power supply first.
see you guys

The only thing I've modded on the Sonys is to change the final output opamps to OPA2134 or AD825 and changed the output coupling caps to Black Gate NX.

An example is the CDP-X55ES (see schematic) and only changed IC407, IC507 to AD825, changed C414, C514 to 47uF BG NX and removed the by-pass caps C415, C515. Didn't have to do any more than that as was an ample improvement. Any other opamp tried in IC406, IC506 degraded the sound so the original 5532DD remains.

There are heaps of mods around when you start looking.

Attachments

• cdpx55 output.jpg
    cdpx55 output.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 405
A little update:
I cleaned the insides of the sony thoroughly, by blowing air and removing old grease. Then re lubricated the axis of the sliding mechanism with ceys lithium grease (the white stuff).
The player got a lot better. However with most of the cd's when reaching the end of the disc (the outer diameter) it start misreading and skipping etc.
Is there anything else I can do before ordering a replacement laser pick-up?

gorfeas said:
Is there anything else I can do before ordering a replacement laser pick-up?

Since the player starts skipping near the end of the CD, when the speed of the rotation is lower, you can check for disc "wobbling" eg. increased vertical motion...

If that's the case, you may have a problem with the spindle motor and/or the clamping mechanism :dead:

BTW: If you are changing the laser, it's a good practice to change the spindle motor also (acording to some more expirienced people on this board :angel: ).

Hope it helps...

tracking solved - MODS???

Hi there, tracking problems seem to have almost disappeared after thorough greasing. It is a fact that the cd disc perimeter does seem do "tremble" slightly while rotating. Should I change the motor? could greasing the motor axis help?
anyway as it looks as if the problem is gone I was planning on doing some modding to get me started as an electronics diyer.
I am posting here various photos as well as a schematic i have found in order to make it for you easier to make suggestions.
Formerly i used a marantz cd43, which had a philips DAC if i recall well. Then the sound was poorer but it had more focus.
Would changing all those caps help me get back the focus?
This is what I think is "replaceable":
c527 - 47uF 50V
c627 - 47uF 50V
c201 - 100uF 63v
c214 - 220uF 16V
c211 - 220uF 16V
c209 - 470uF 16V
c204 - 1000uF 16V
c210 - 1000uF 16V
c205 - 4700uF 16V

and what about the values of the replacing capacitors? should they have the exact same value of capacitance and/or voltage?
How about PSU? it would be a good idea to make a new one I reckon. Any suggestions/designs?
here are the photos:
The player uncovered:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the player's PCB:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do these also need replacing??? what should I change them for
q206 -

q218 - D1944/K111

q210 - B1274/R1A2

The PSU transformer.

transformer bottom

tranformer top view

and last the schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.