converting optical to rca analog - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:26 PM   #1
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois
Default converting optical to rca analog

Hey guys,
Here is my situation. I have a 400 disk changer in one room and want to run the signal to my other setup in another room. I was thinking of running an optical cable from the cd player to my tube setup and then converting it to rca analog so I can hook it up to the preamp. The run would be about 25 feet so I don't want to run a normal cord that far. Is there anything out there that would decode the signal and still keep the quality of music high. Just looking for opinions if this is possible and what I can use. Thanks for any help.

John
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
ckng is offline ckng  Singapore
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Singapore
Hi,

Other than a DAC which takes optical in (TOSLINK) I can't think of any other way you can do what you want. Not sure also if there are optical cables that are 25' long.

Regards
CK
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 03:54 PM   #3
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois
Hi, thanks for the reply. The optical cable is not a problem. I found a couple of places that sell 5m lengths real glass cable or also a place that has 30 ft (9M) real glass cable. I was thinking I probably need a DAC, so which one do you recommend. I need something good that won't cost me a fortune.
Thanks,

John
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 04:26 PM   #4
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
phn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
It doesn't matter if you use optical or SPDIF/RCA as long as the signal is digital.

Google TDA1543 DAC.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
mrshow4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
It's good that can get real glass optical cable for that length of a run. I had a situation where I had to connect two TOSlink (plastic) cables to increase the length and the results were iffy. I believe there is a ton of attenuation (per foot) on the plastic stuff when compared to glass.

...are you saying that there's a TOSlink connected cable that is real glass? ...or are you using something else? ST, FibreChannel, etc??
__________________
".........These go to eleven"
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:47 PM   #6
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by mrshow4u

...are you saying that there's a TOSlink connected cable that is real glass? ...or are you using something else? ST, FibreChannel, etc??

Its real glass optical cable with toslink ends. If you do a search on ebay for glass toslink you will get couple of places that sell them. I bought some while back and they work real good. They dont yellow and the bend radius is 2 inches I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:49 PM   #7
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by phn
It doesn't matter if you use optical or SPDIF/RCA as long as the signal is digital.

Google TDA1543 DAC.

Thanks I will check this out. But I think it would be cheaper to run optical cable than a digital cable that long.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 06:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
mrshow4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Thanks I will check this out. But I think it would be cheaper to run optical cable than a digital cable that long.
...Cheaper?? Hmmm. I use Belden 1505A (RG-59) with Canare 75 ohm RCA's (or BNC's). The crimper and stripper was expensive, but you can buy made to order cables for not too much. I've looked at the termination side of the transmission line (interconnect) and the signal quality remains very good. ...even at 100 meters!!

Thanks for the info about glass on TOSlink, that's good to know.

One thing to keep in mind: I have to perform jitter measurements in my daily work and optical jitter is always worse than copper, for a given system. I/we think it's because of duty cycle distortion in extinguishing/illuminating the LED. The total jitter can be still, very low.
__________________
".........These go to eleven"
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 06:24 PM   #9
kazoo is offline kazoo  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by mrshow4u


...Cheaper?? Hmmm. I use Belden 1505A (RG-59) with Canare 75 ohm RCA's (or BNC's). The crimper and stripper was expensive, but you can buy made to order cables for not too much. I've looked at the termination side of the transmission line (interconnect) and the signal quality remains very good. ...even at 100 meters!!

Thanks for the info about glass on TOSlink, that's good to know.

One thing to keep in mind: I have to perform jitter measurements in my daily work and optical jitter is always worse than copper, for a given system. I/we think it's because of duty cycle distortion in extinguishing/illuminating the LED. The total jitter can be still, very low.

Well I stand corrected. Thanks for letting me know about the Belden 1505A and using it as a digital IC. I guess what I was worried about is the resistance running it that long. I though it be better to run the optical but now you brought up jitter. I can't remember but I think the changer only has optical and analog rca outs. Well first I need to find a good dac and then I will figure out the cable. Any good kits out there already put together using the TDA1543?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting a DAC harrygrey382 Digital Source 48 15th June 2007 10:16 PM
Qustion: Optical/Coax to analog converter? roger-k Digital Source 1 20th December 2005 09:57 AM
Converting Bl ht_boy Multi-Way 2 12th December 2005 05:32 AM
Optical/Coax to analog? soundNERD Digital Source 2 29th September 2003 04:01 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:41 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2