DIY ADC info ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good suggestions. I can probably get an EVAL board from Cirrus. I have an in there. wink;) But eval boards are usually larger and have more components on them then necessary for just the base functionality. I am trying to find something more compact and purpose built. If any one else has any suggestions I am still listening. If all else fails, I will go the eval route.

Thanks,
Steve

You can try something like this. Use 0.22uF or larger capacitors to couple to the inputs. I forget exactly, takes something like 0.5Vrms input for full scale.

ripperschem.gif

I use "Audacity" software for recording. The chip also plays back with DAC outputs. Or create and SPDIF signal to connect to another DAC. Very layout sensitive.

jh

audiosteve said:
Thanks for that post Jim. If I could use spdif it would probably do the trick but I need something with LJ or I2S out. I'm still looking and won't make a decision until I think I have done enough homework. I'm really amazed that there are a million DAC's out there but precious few resources for a DIY ADC.

Have you considered designing one ?

I have considered designing one. I could probably come up with a good schematic but I don't trust myself to do a good mixed signal layout. In any case, I don't have much spare time these days. The ADC will be part of another project that will take time in itself to complete. The ADC is not the goal, it is a roadblock to be overcome on the way to achieving my goal. For the above reasons I'd greatly prefer to find a board or kit for a proven design.

This might point in another direction: I just opened up my M-Audio FireWire "Audiophile" DAC / ADC, soon to be discontinued.

It uses an AKM AK4628VQ = 2-channel 96KHz ADC+8-channel 192KHz DAC ... and Samsung 4Meg X 16 RAM, some MIDI chips, an MX SO51805 (smack in the middle of the board, a propriatary Freescale processor?), some TI SPDIF I/O chips and a big bridgeCo DM1000E ("a Popular Silicon and Firmware Platform for Firewire 1394 Enabled Audio Devices") ... plus the usual analog Jfet op-amps on both input & output. The thing also has fat G-Luxor "gold label" electro caps around some sort of 12 VDC to +/- 12 VDC (a dc to dc converter, I suppose). The FireWire interface is the usual from TI = TSB41AB2 = tranceiver / arbiter.

The main reason I feel I can pass this info along is the M-Audio has discontinued this gadget and will have a newer model later this year, so ... I really like it as it is: 4 In / 6 Out, counting the four analog Out, two analog in and the SPDIF I/O, plus MIDI I/O ... a garage band's delight and it really sounds great attached to my Marantz' analog ports. (No Dolby unless the source has it ... but who needs that anyway when you are playing iTunes Internet radio feeds @ 128K.) Incidently, neither you or anyone else can do all that with USB. :whazzat:

Around US$130 plus shipping from your favorite eBay outlet. Makes it almost too inexpensive to build one from scratch = four screws and you can tweak this in an hour w/ extra snubbing caps on the PSU ...
I can burn DVD-A direct from my turntable or right offa the Internet = :D

FastEddy said:

Around US$130 plus shipping from your favorite eBay outlet. Makes it almost too inexpensive to build one from scratch = four screws and you can tweak this in an hour w/ extra snubbing caps on the PSU ...
I can burn DVD-A direct from my turntable or right offa the Internet = :D

So long as you set your sights low enough. Should I ever get round to transferring vinyl to silver disc, it will be ADAT for me.

" ... So long as you set your sights low enough. ..."

The implication being I suppose that "2-channel 96KHz ADC+8-channel 192KHz DAC" isn't good enough for the "golden ear" types. Stuck with that big dollar USB DAC, right?

Cionsidering that the four screws are right on top, you can mod it and tweak it all you want. (I believe there is even an I2S data set in there somewhere.) An interesting devices using that AKM AK4628 chip: http://www.laaudiofile.com/vr8070.html ... el cheapo Japanese?

Also the AKM company has newer versions: http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/product/audio.html

As for burning vinyl to optical disc, the ADAT method is superior, of course ... :whazzat:

Expensive USB dacs are for those with money to burn and USB audio in general is of no interest to me.
If you are happy with a codec, a device not exactly noted for stellar sound, then great, smashing, super and all that. I'd much rather have a dedicated ADC and an analogue input stage of my choice.

" ... I'd much rather have a dedicated ADC and an analogue input stage of my choice. ..."

Assuming you mean digital tape = ADAT, then you are correct, it probably is the most efficient way to transfer analog (to ADAT) to optical disc there is, and there should be nothing at all wrong with the result. 24 bit / 48K is as good as it gets on DVD video and I personally have difficulty realizing any audio differences between 24 bit / 48K and 24 bit / 96K, at least without high rez tools.

24 bit rules!! and is vastly superior to 16 bit CD. Your are correct that USB has huge problems with fat bulk file transfers = lots of jitter, lots of handshaking & dropped packets ... troubles that FireWire, GigaBit Ethernet and SATA do not have or at least are negligable (sic).

BTW: I am looking for SATA or SATA II or eSATA interface possibilities in 24 bit audio and / or the HDMI interface ... If you know of anyone working in this esoteric arena, please advise.

" ... No, not tape. The ADAT interface. Up to 24/192 with the right soundcard ..."

I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago = PC based sound cards are noisey = the PC power supply noise leaks right through to the analog ports on all PC sound cards. External 24 bit ACD / DACs are the only way to fly ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAT = Alesis digital to audio tape. But the card makers have lassoed that defination for their own purposes ... the usual confusing hype associated with digital hardware manufacturers.

" ... no analogue need come anywhere near the computer ..."

Unless of course your source is vinyl ... or live ... or from the old radio ... or you want to listen to it too :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.