JRC5534 replacement for IV section ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Shanling CD300 (North American version) comes with JRC5534 in the IV section. I notice the Asia version has AD847. I thought AD847 is a way better chip. Wonder why North American version got a **** chip :mad: Or am I wrong and the 5534 is actually better for IV section ?

What is a direct replacement for the JRC5534 other than AD847 ?

The circuit uses JRC5534 at IV section and OPA627 in the differential stage right now. I have modded a Shanling T-200 before with all OPA627 and the sound is too much (I prefer a mix of OPA627 and OPA2132 in that particular machine.)

Since it uses 4 on each channel (pic shows one side only), I need a total of 8. OPA627 is out of the question even if its superior given the cost.

Any advice/thoughts ?

The OPA134 would gives a good balance with OPA627, in my opinion. Did exactly that in a Denon DCD2560 I had & it sounded great. Can't imagine why the 5534 except for corner-cutting to save cost. You could, of course, use an OPA132, but I think the OPA134 is much better & is cheaper.
Why you would want to rely on a player that uses the criminally crappy CDM12 series transport that you'll likely have to replace every year or two is quite beyong my imagining, though.

Thanks guys for your input. This is my plan:

replace the OPA2604 with OPA2132 (I have a few lying around somewhere I believe)

replace the JRC5534D with OPA134 or OPA627 (prob start with OPA134 first as they are way cheaper than 627)

I assume that should be 100% compatibility ??

Regarding burn-in, how much time does it take an opamp to "burn-in" properly ?

What you suggest is what I did on my analogue section:
- I/V: NJM5532 switched to dual OPA627BP on Browndog adaptors
- Sum / Filter: NJM swichted to OPA2134
and I totally agree with what was said before: I feel that that the mix of the two sounds very good (to my ears at least..)

Regards

Patrick

I did the change:

8 NJR5534D in I/V section replaced by 8 OPA627BP.
4 OPA627 in differential section unchanged.
2 OPA2604 in filter replaced by 2 OPA2132.

Holy moly, the change is HUGE ! My system never sound so good before. Every aspect is way better. Soundstage is much more 3d, more air between instruments, tighter bass.

It transform my cdp completely. And I guess the manufacturer choose not to use those parts only because it increase the costs significantly and would not meet their potential price point ($1500). Imagine the extra cost of 8 OPA627 over 8 5534.

I cant be happier and thanks for the advice from all of you.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
stephensank said:
Sorry, Jean-Paul, but the NE5534 in any form is an antiquated design & a terrible sounding opamp. And, to my ears, the OPA134 is, in many applications, a superior sounding chip to the expensive OPA627, and is around $2 each in USA, not to mention is also available in dual & quad forms.

Mmm, I would agree with you speaking of NE5532 but the NE5534 has its merits. I would change them anyway as OPA627 is clearly better.

The expensive OPA627 needs extra attention on decoupling as said many times here. Just some good electrolytic caps from + and - to ground and a film cap ( I use 10 nF but others use 100 or even 220 nF ) from the + to the - pin soldered directly above the chip or under the pcb. When decoupled the standard way it will not give the best results.

I never used the single version OPA134 AFAIK but with a price 10 to 15 times lower than OPA627 and being from the same manufacturer one would expect some differences.

Yes, Jean-Paul, there are differences between the $2 OPA134 and the $18 OPA627(or however much the darn thing costs these days). The OPA134, I think, is considerably BETTER! I think the OPA627 is a bit unnaturally sweetsounding. The OPA134/2134/4134 to be more transparent sounding, but not in any way lacking in tonal richness or smoothness.

NE versus OPA!!??

Please see link:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=949442#post949442

...and i am using now Philips NE 5532AN--what has the more best musically sound.
Copy of my old report:
I have tested OPA2134, OPA 627 and must say that something was better ( bass response and hights ) but it was not my taste. The midrange and voice was more clear, dynamic, lively only with NE5533N. I have tested different 5533- Philips, Texas Instruments, Signetic and my favorites are: 1. Signetic 2. Philips. If you can find Signetic or Philips NE5533 AN it be best choice (it is special made for audiophile listening ). I have made for opamps separately special power filtering from 12 V to 9 V ( trough TL431 positive and negative supply ). This was very good for sound. For opamps I use BlackGate FK 100mf and 0,1 mF film capacitors directly connected to OPAmp pins. Please compare , before upgrade, opamps- NE5533 and OPA627 and it can be fixed how different they sound is! But as I says- I live natural and lively sound. It is only question of the taste.

And i am lover of old Phiplips or signetic

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
stephensank said:
Yes, Jean-Paul, there are differences between the $2 OPA134 and the $18 OPA627(or however much the darn thing costs these days). The OPA134, I think, is considerably BETTER! I think the OPA627 is a bit unnaturally sweetsounding. The OPA134/2134/4134 to be more transparent sounding, but not in any way lacking in tonal richness or smoothness.

OK, did you use a small film cap across the supply pins ?

Film caps ...

Have used only with Burrbrown OPAS. BB needed the caps and sound is cleaner an better localization.
By NE 5532 it is not so important I have made a conclusion.
NE gives more musicality and performances by middle frequency area. But if you listen Jazz , then there are more information as by trebles or by bass areas.

As ,you know

That Accuphase is using 5532.
This is reason, whay Accuphase has more natural and lively sound as another expencive CD players, who are using OPAS. It is only my private conclusion. Accuphase is using JRC -NJM5532.
But i am last time used more Vinyl system and nearest sound to vinyl is Old Philips players with NE5532!

Re: As ,you know

hifiwolf said:
That Accuphase is using 5532.
This is reason, whay Accuphase has more natural and lively sound as another expencive CD players, who are using OPAS. It is only my private conclusion. Accuphase is using JRC -NJM5532.
But i am last time used more Vinyl system and nearest sound to vinyl is Old Philips players with NE5532!

Accuphase today uses other JRC op amps.

Which Philips player ?

To Jean-Paul-
I never do any chip upgrades/experimentation without having first added polypropylene or polystyrene(usually both) and large as possible Nichicon lytics from each supply pin to ground, as close to the chip as possible. Failing to do this is not giving the chip a thorough & fair test, in my opinion. Clean & large power supply is the single most important factor in any audio gear, I believe. Which is why the very FIRST thing I upgrade in a piece is to put in soft-recovery rectifiiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.