Testing for new DAC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was testing for the real full balance dac, testing for its performance because its use two CPLD chips for programming control real +,+ & -,- digital. Not the same as reserve one bit from SE to balance output. It was a real full balance input b& full balance output. I prefer use transformer output sage because its real more dynamic & I love more Iron.

I would lke to test compatiable of 16bits dac with USB. Also I was testing the transformers output stage of dac.

Chips I use for the USB receiver I was testing for PCM 2706,2906 & CM106L.

any advise for the USB chips!!!

thx

thomas

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

" ... real full balance input & full balance output. I prefer use transformer output sage because its real more dynamic ... I would lke to test compatiable of 16bits dac with USB ..."

Of the 16 bit / USB DACs, it is hard to beat The Brick ( http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/usbdac.html )

BUT, if it is dynamic range and "full balance" you crave, 16 bit won't do it and neither will USB. The most dynamic USB DACs are 24 bit /48K to 96K at best ... 16 bits by 44K or 48K have a dynamic range of around 85 db. 24 bit / 48K is closer to 95 db, 24 bit / 96K is closer to 100 db, 24 bit / 192K is closer to or greater than 110 db dynamic range

To record in the studio this "full balance, full dynamic range, the professionals use analog to digital converters that digitally record at 24 bit / 96K per channel with the master recording results being multichannel 24 bit / 192K ... or more. Example: http://www.digitalaudio.dk/ax24.htm

So, squeezing these master recordings down to 16 bit / 44K or 48K or 24 bit / 48K or 96K is just adding digital compression = less dynamic range. (Get a Mac and a FireWire connected DAC, forget USB ...)

:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.