Replacing a Laser Assembly???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How easy or hard is it to replace a laser assembly??

I ahve a Sony CD Player and it dates back to 99 and while i am in there doing some repairs and have the transport mech torn apart, i was considering replacing the laser assembly.

A quick check of MCM electronics shows to have the KSS-521 assembly in stock for a reasonable price. and it looks like it would be an easy enough replacement. but are those modules from MCM drop in? or do they need some sort of calibration or alignment???

The laser assembly comes with the laser block mounted to the sled so it appears i could just replace the whole sled easy enough if they are pre calibrated etc??

I have never worked on CD players to this depth before.

Zc

We replace Lasers all the time everyday at my shop. Alignment and calibration info is best referenced to the service manuals for your player, as it all depends on the manufacturer and the circuitry.

The early Sony/Kenwood decks needed at least a average O-scope to check and cal certain signals like Free run frequency and such, and a laser power meter to verify proper laser power levels.

But things are simpler these days according to my buddies that do this everyday for a living.

If you have never done this , please at least get a full service manual to study before you take the dive off the end of the pier to do this IMO.

hope this helps:)

Can't speak for your particular laser type , but I recently purchased a KSS-151 laser for my Denon 2560 from MCM. At first , after installation , it did not work , and I thought I needed to have the player 'scoped'. After searching threads here , I found that I might have to remove the solder 'short'. Sure enough , found a solder bridge on the ribbon. After that was removed , and the laser was reinstalled , I just hit play and it worked perfectly. Just wish there would have been a note in the box about that issue , as the player sat for a month thinking something else was required. I am sure that a calibration would be nice to minimize error correction.

Thanks everybody. I cannt seem to find a service manual for my player. It is a Sony CDP-D11 pro unit. it is one of the 1 RU super slim professional models and i cant seem to locate a service manual for it.

I did located a parts site that listed all of the other models this laser fits and it looks like everything else is car stereo's.

I started thinking about HOW calibrations would be done and i took a closer look at the main PCB and there isnt any trimmers on the board. so i started looking at the servo board and there isnt a single trimmer control anyplace! in fact, the ONLY one i can find is on the side of the laser block!

So even if there are supposed to be adjustments, i have no idea how they would be done?

I dont see any programming port or anything that even looks like some form of PC based calibration set up so??? Shrug.....

Zc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.