Shanling nightmare!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could say this is a self induced nightmare as I knew buying the Shanling cd-t80 on ebay from a seller in China would void the warranty. After using it for very few hours the cd stopped spinning. The lens still moves to try to read the disc. After a few seconds it displays the no cd message. So now I have a nice looking, aluminum clad, rather large paperweight for my desk. I was using a Radio Shack step up transformer to power it up. I wonder if that could have caused a problem as the voltage would still be 60cps not the 50cps as it was designed to run on. I was told this wouldn't be a problem. What is a problem are the audio withdrawal symptoms I'm now experiencing now that I don't have the Shanling to listen to anymore. The upgrade in sound the player gave me was amazing. I'm thinking of buying from an authorized local audio dealer the new cd3000 that Shanling just recently introduced. Anyone interested in a big paperweight? Maybe I'll list it on ebay and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.

Try unscrewing the base plate - there are 2 or 3 screws running along the center of the plate, and the four feet need to come off as well. Once done th eunderneath should come off quite easily.

Then you'll notice on a section of circuit board several solder points - one of which will correspond to the voltage of your area. Check where the positive is currently soldered to, and then resolder this wire to the correct voltage point.

Hope this may be of some help to you.

- John

I should have know not to question you John. Sure enough I found the three solder points for the transformer. It was set up for 220v. I've reset it now to run straight from the wall outlet at 117v. Unfortunately the cd still will not spin. Everything powers up and looks normal otherwise. I'm thinking that the Radio Shack transformer may have caused the damage. I just measured the voltage out from the transformer at 251 volts. I'd been running the cd-t80 in short intervals of an hour or 90 minutes but on the night it stopped working I had some friends over and we were spinning cd's for 3 to 4 hrs. Maybe the heat built up and caused something to burn out (the cd motor?). I never noticed that it was running at a high temperature though. Wish there was a fuse that could have gone first. Anyone have any ideas? Should I try to find the cd's motor and see if there is any voltage getting to it. Thanks for your help!

If I am not mistaken, then Shangling uses a Philips 12.1 lazer mechanism. Well, my Shangling A10T does. And when the lazer goes kaput, the CD player displays that kind of behaviour. Buy a replacement mechanism and try your luck. They cost about US$13 each in Singapore and cheaper in China. Cheap enough to take a chance than to write off the paperweight.

Lots of resources all over this forum on how to replace the mechanism. ( also used on the popular Marantz CD63 CD player ). Search for it.

PhilM400 said:
Thanks for the links on changing the CDM12.1! Anyone know anything about the spinning drive circuit?

Firstly, I must say that I am no expert so anyone else should correct me if they have any better ideas but .....

:att'n: Some of these steps involve working near dangerous mains voltages. Take necessary precautions and, if in doubt, ask or get someone else to do it :att'n:

You may or may not be comfortable with the following procedures. Be careful.

I think your first move is to inspect the relevant power supply in your player starting with the voltages coming out of the regulators. (Take care not to short them while doing this.) These will be the first things to be stressed by over voltage.
You should have many regulators inside and at least one separately feeding the servo section. The servo chip and associated ancillaries can be looked at later on if necessary (hope not!). These control the speed of the motor etc.
I think that we are all hoping that you have blown something simple in the power supply to the spindle motor that can easily be replaced. I guess we will see.

A new laser would be handy if you can bear the extra and perhaps unneccessary cost. If it's not needed then you will have a spare for later. It's always useful to eliminate another possible cause.

I am not familiar with your player and I think that it may be useful if you could get some good photos of the insides so that we can help you to troubleshoot.
Are you up for getting your hands dirty or will you take it to a shop for repair?

Kind regards,
Martin. :D

P.S. I don't mean to patronise you with the safety spiel but you just never know who may be reading this.

Thanks so much Martin! Being a photographer I should provide you with some decent photos of the Shanling circuit boards. I don't have much experience in repairing this type of equiptment. I do have a degree in electronic technology (a long time ago). Shortly after graduation I took a course in photography and found that was my passion. I've allways had an intrest in audio and electronics though. I still have a volt-ohm meter and a soldering iron (may have to get a soldering pencil with a sharp point for this fine work though). Nothing fancy though, no oscilloscope... I'm game to give it a try if you are. I can take some circuit photos tonight and will post a link to them for all to view. Thanks for your help and all replies!!!

Hi Michael,

It sounded amazing! Details that were muddy or lost in a narrow sound stage were opened up with great clarity and seperation. Very natural sounding too. Ringo hitting his drum sticks together on Act Naturally, Help UK version, was sounding like he was sitting right next to me in my living room. Horns, Coltrane... Miles... Lester Young, all picked up a warm rich resonance. In summation I'd say that the Shanling extended the listening experience giving it a texture you can feel and almost touch. I did say I'm suffering from withdrawal didn't I?

Hi Phil,

I don't think you hurt it with the step-up transformer.

If I had to guess, it's a failure that would have failed anyway had someone else bought it. In the computer industry, we have a saying that if something makes it the first month than it will run forever...

Try rotating the motor shaft to make sure it rotates freely and isn't bound up. Also, trace the circuit around the motor and look carefully to see if there happens to be a cold solder joint. I'd just reflow that area to be sure - particularly where the motor is soldered to the board. Yes, you will have to take it apart to get to it.

It would be interesting to know if there is voltage at the motor terminals when it's trying to spin up. If so, you either have a cold joint or bad motor.

I agree regarding changing the cd mechanism. Not hard and it will likely fix the problem.

Keep us posted.

Thanks Steve! I know that there is a tolerance for the ac voltage (10%???) I still exceeded that by a good bit. You may be on to something with that first month theory. It makes sense to me. I've found a place in Germany N-tronics that sell the cd mechanism VAM1201/12 for 25 euro. I'll try to find some other places to get it and will put in an order soon. In the meantime I'll try your suggestions and will also post some photos that I've taken.

You might consider hitting the motor with some dc just to see if it works.

Like someone else posted, it might just be a bad regulator and it would cost $3...

Worth a try.

Also, did you try calling Shanling? Perhaps they will show mercy and help you out with it.

Just a thought.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.