Shanling nightmare!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2007, 04:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Shanling nightmare!!!

You could say this is a self induced nightmare as I knew buying the Shanling cd-t80 on ebay from a seller in China would void the warranty. After using it for very few hours the cd stopped spinning. The lens still moves to try to read the disc. After a few seconds it displays the no cd message. So now I have a nice looking, aluminum clad, rather large paperweight for my desk. I was using a Radio Shack step up transformer to power it up. I wonder if that could have caused a problem as the voltage would still be 60cps not the 50cps as it was designed to run on. I was told this wouldn't be a problem. What is a problem are the audio withdrawal symptoms I'm now experiencing now that I don't have the Shanling to listen to anymore. The upgrade in sound the player gave me was amazing. I'm thinking of buying from an authorized local audio dealer the new cd3000 that Shanling just recently introduced. Anyone interested in a big paperweight? Maybe I'll list it on ebay and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.
Old 15th March 2007, 05:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think you needed a step down transformer as China is 230V and USA 110V???
Old 15th March 2007, 05:38 PM   #3
johnm is offline johnm  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try unscrewing the base plate - there are 2 or 3 screws running along the center of the plate, and the four feet need to come off as well. Once done th eunderneath should come off quite easily.

Then you'll notice on a section of circuit board several solder points - one of which will correspond to the voltage of your area. Check where the positive is currently soldered to, and then resolder this wire to the correct voltage point.

Hope this may be of some help to you.

- John
Old 15th March 2007, 05:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Step down or step up the one I have brings the wall voltage from 117 up to 235 volts that the cd-t80 was meant to run on. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what might have caused the cd player has stopped spinning. Is it fixable?
Old 15th March 2007, 06:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks John! I'll try that out. What you're saying is that if I change the transformers connection points it will be good to go on US voltage straight from the wall. To my understanding the cd-t80 wasn't made for USA distribution so I wonder if this option is availible on it. I'll open it up and see.
Old 16th March 2007, 01:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I should have know not to question you John. Sure enough I found the three solder points for the transformer. It was set up for 220v. I've reset it now to run straight from the wall outlet at 117v. Unfortunately the cd still will not spin. Everything powers up and looks normal otherwise. I'm thinking that the Radio Shack transformer may have caused the damage. I just measured the voltage out from the transformer at 251 volts. I'd been running the cd-t80 in short intervals of an hour or 90 minutes but on the night it stopped working I had some friends over and we were spinning cd's for 3 to 4 hrs. Maybe the heat built up and caused something to burn out (the cd motor?). I never noticed that it was running at a high temperature though. Wish there was a fuse that could have gone first. Anyone have any ideas? Should I try to find the cd's motor and see if there is any voltage getting to it. Thanks for your help!
Old 16th March 2007, 02:24 AM   #7
cm is offline cm  Singapore
diyAudio Member

If I am not mistaken, then Shangling uses a Philips 12.1 lazer mechanism. Well, my Shangling A10T does. And when the lazer goes kaput, the CD player displays that kind of behaviour. Buy a replacement mechanism and try your luck. They cost about US$13 each in Singapore and cheaper in China. Cheap enough to take a chance than to write off the paperweight.

Lots of resources all over this forum on how to replace the mechanism. ( also used on the popular Marantz CD63 CD player ). Search for it.
Old 16th March 2007, 03:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks cm I'll check out the Philips 12.1 and will try to find more info on it. The Shanling would do a good job of holding down papers but I'd much rather be listening to it play cd's.
Old 16th March 2007, 08:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Here's a very useful page for changing the CDM12.1.

http://iangclark.net/projects/CD63/CD63.html

I believe that the current equivalent of the CDM12.1 is the VAM1201 or VAM1202.

I wonder if you might have blown a regulator or cap? Just a thought. Also, Some regulators shut down if short circuited by another component further downstream.

Regards,
Martin.
Old 16th March 2007, 08:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi again,
This site (same CDM in an Atari Jaguar) has good photos of the process.

http://www.linkovitch.me.uk/jaguar/cdrepair/page3.html

Martin.

Hide this!Advertise here!