Faulty power supply. SONY DVP CX995V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought I would share a happy event from this weeks DIY endeavour.

My trusty SONY DVP-CX995V DVD and SACD play decided to die on me. At first it would just turn off after 4 to 6 hours sitting idle. Then as the weeks have gone by it would start shutting down after about an hour of use. Finally the lights would go out after only 5 minutes.

This is not the first time I have seen these symptoms as about 6 months ago something similar happened to my VCR player. The unit would stop working and the LEDs just glowed weak.

Well to cut a long story short I took five minutes to open up the SONY player. As I suspected the large capacitor in the power supply had a bulge on top. Exactly the same thing that happened to my VCR 6 months ago.

Well being a resourceful DIY individual I dived into my box of goodies of old computer PSUs and found a suitable replacement part. Nothing stopping me now as I swap the defective CAP with my new found donor. After 10 years I finally got something out of that box of goodies.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.