USB controller and codec running hot ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got the Audigy 2 NX USB soundcard recently and noticed that even after just a few minutes of operation it would get unusually hot. Not so hot that you can't touch it but too hot for a device that small - both in terms of size and power. So I opened up the box and there some components that get hot the most. But what I am most intrigued about is that the ISP1581 (USB controller?) and the STAC9460S (sigmatel codec) are the hottest chips on board! Why on earth would a codec get so hot ? and the usb chip too ?
What could be going on here ? Any hints ? ideas ? what could I check ?

I think I might rule out a psu(adapter) problem because even on batteries those chips get hot.

Besides that, the whole soundcard draws a pretty hefty 900ma of current - thats almost 5W of power consumption at 5V input. These are the other chips in the box -

Sigmatel STAC9460S - Codec
JRC 4556A - Headphone output
ST MC33078 - Line level output/input dual opamp. Total 4.
Philips UDA1334 - Low Power DAC
Philips ISP1581BD - USB device controller
Creative CA0186 - DSP
Cirrus Logic EP7309 - High-Performance, Low-Power System-on-Chip Enhanced Digital Audio Interface
ST M29W400BB - 4Mbit Flash Memory
ST LD33 - 3.3v regulator (?)
ST LD18 - 1.8v regulator (?)

The DSP, low-power DAC and the Cirrus Logic chip are warm to touch as well, not as hot as the codec and usb controller though, but still I think its too warm for those chips.

Where the heck is all that heat coming from and all that current going ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.