Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2007, 04:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Default Need advice from all I/V Aficionados using the THS4031's

I have a dac (circuit below) that I feel the need to tinker with again. I have replace the 2 x NE5532's with 4 x AD825 and done some direct coupling mods with dc offset adjusters in yellow highlight.
I've just recieved 4 samples of TI's THS4031's.

With the ad825's having very low dc offset and fet input, the trimmers only have to be adjusted very slightly off the replaced resistor value of 2.2k to give me zero offset at the dc coupled output. The sound is very good this way.

What do you guys think the difference would be with the THS4031's replacing the AD825's, they are bipolar input does anyone know if the THS4031's have low dc offset say below 20mv and more important would they sound better than the AD825's in this position, I've noticed that a lot of people here love them and a couple have prefered them over the AD825's in the ouput stage of their players/dacs.

Cheers George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brother scan1 1000x 94k.jpg (94.4 KB, 1761 views)
Old 20th February 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need advice from all I/V Aficionados using the THS4031's

Quote:
Originally posted by georgehifi
I have a dac (circuit below) that I feel the need to tinker with again. I have replace the 2 x NE5532's with 4 x AD825 and done some direct coupling mods with dc offset adjusters in yellow highlight.
I've just recieved 4 samples of TI's THS4031's.

With the ad825's having very low dc offset and fet input, the trimmers only have to be adjusted very slightly off the replaced resistor value of 2.2k to give me zero offset at the dc coupled output. The sound is very good this way.

What do you guys think the difference would be with the THS4031's replacing the AD825's, they are bipolar input does anyone know if the THS4031's have low dc offset say below 20mv and more important would they sound better than the AD825's in this position, I've noticed that a lot of people here love them and a couple have prefered them over the AD825's in the ouput stage of their players/dacs.

Cheers George

The offset value would be in the data sheet but I would think that the opamp offset would be MUCH lower than the bipolar diff amp following it, so that should not be a concern for the opamps.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Got the 4x THS4031 's in yesterday put them in the I/V stage and only had to adjust the 5k 25 turn trimmer a half a turn to get zero offset on the output, not bad, this opamp has good low dc offset for a bipolar input opamp, put it back in the system and wow!!! the mids and highs are so so much more transpaent than the AD825 's and it made mince meat out of the NE5532 's, but the bass it was a little anaemic, no balls compared to the AD825 's, but this was their forte.

So instead of getting on the merry go round I left the THS4031 's in overnight and left it turned on. What greated me the next day was a revelation, gone was the anaemic bass, it was even better than the AD825 's now, and the mids and highs were just as good as before even a bit better maybe. These bloody things like to get used to their suroundings, before they give their best.

I can now say that the THS4031 is the best for I/V conversion that I have tried to date, give them a go you will be surprised, but don't listen to them till their 24hrs old.

Cheers George
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:43 AM   #4
tubee is offline tubee  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I swapped opamps in CD304mk2 for THS4032's. Wow indeed.

First used NE5532 then OPA2132, sounds reasonable, THS is best til now. Tried a lot AD, OPA, and LT opamps.

Will try LM4562 in future
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

Why do you follow your opamp with a pushpull amplifier?
Is it something to do with the 5532? Or the DAC output levels (I'm not very familiar with the Burr Brown DACs)? Or are you simply outputting a bigger signal?

If its just buffering? What does it sound like without it?

My DAC's output is straight from the LM4562 output into the preamp.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Phil most dacs have an output opamp after the I/V opamp stage, my is just a discrete amp after the I/V opamp.
As good as opamps are for output stages, I would still rather have a discrete amp, this one is biased up strong into class A and it can output up to 6 watts, not that it ever does, and sounds better than anything I've heard. It's a Musical Fidelity A3.24, exactly the same as the MF Nuvister Dac with discrete solid state output instead of nuvister tubes.
And I've direct coupled it with some mods, you can find all my circuits here for the dac.

musical-fidelity-a3.24 mods

Cheers George
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgehifi
Phil most dacs have an output opamp after the I/V opamp stage, my is just a discrete amp after the I/V opamp.
[snip]

I think a question in a lot of people's mind is how it is possible to have such big differences in opamps if they are followed by a discrete amp that arguably is much less performing than that opamp.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

I think a question in a lot of people's mind is how it is possible to have such big differences in opamps if they are followed by a discrete amp that arguably is much less performing than that opamp.

Jan Didden
Ask your countryman Gudio Tent, he sent me an email saying he listened to one that he was doing some work on, and he was impressed with it, also. I think it's still better to have common disrete amp than a chipamp (opamp).

"arguably" is the correct word, as I've stated, I've had many different dac's come through my place, and nothing has touched this one yet.
Straight out of the box it had something very special, very powerful detailed sound without a hint of hardness, all the I/V mods and direct coupling have done is given it more transparency and a bottomless pit of detailed tight bass. Not that it means anything but it got Class A rating in Stereophile
http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/561/
But I do read their measurments, and they do a good job of them, and this dac had the lowest measured jitter of just about any dac they have measured.

Cheers George
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi George,
Thanks for the reply.
I guess I've just been used to my 4562 that can drive quite happilly.

Actually thinking about other designs, I have seen two stages (I/V conversion followed by buffer) many times. I'm just not awake!

Thanks for the patience.

Phil
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is a link to the Burr-Brown PCM1738e dac chip( E I was told stands for selected), current output (2.5mA), that is in my MF converter, for those who want to read about it.
It does not get mentioned much in these forums, but it does a very good job. It made a fully optimized Marantz CD94mkII with double TDA1541 S1 double crowns sound dirty and flat.
And last month blew away the new Belcanto Dac 3 that I had here for evaluation, made it sound thin in the mids and up top, and gutless down low.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1738.pdf

Cheers George

Hide this!Advertise here!