Soundcard or Dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And balanced out ?

Super interesting thread.
I picked the single ended filter from Scott Endler website (thanks Klaus for the info).
Is the balanced filter I draw equivalent of single ended one ?
Alain

Attachments

• directoutcircuit bal.jpg
    directoutcircuit bal.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 1,254
Re: johnthedoctor's post

I was curious about this comment;

"The problem with this dac is it freezing when things like the fridge turn off and on. Very annoying, there's been a few posts here about it. "

I have a CAL Sigma, which does the same thing when my heatpump kicks on and off.

I tried to search for the topic, but was unsuccessful. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Or perhaps you have found a cure that worked for you?

My PC/stereo setup sounds great, until the heat kicks on, then I scream and pull my hair out. (I think the missing hair is contributing to my urge to abandon the digital output).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

A little off topic ...

Radian: " ... [My equipment:] ... a Oppo 971 tweaked with Rubycon ZL all over and a custom active stage with THS4032 opamps. ..."

I sure would like to know more about what you did to your Oppo player ...

My '981, I just added some tantlum caps to the +/- 9 VDC lines on the PS board and a plastic MKT ~ 2.2 uF across the +/- 9 VDC from the PS on the DAC board ...

Got links / parts list / mod recommends ??? :smash:

Hi!

I have been using Linux(Kubuntu) for about two weeks now.
So you can definitely call me a beginner.
Not having too much time at the moment I couldn't read about it a lot...
The main features of my system are running... so I can work... but I've got problems using Amarok and other players...
My Computer is a Medion MD 8818 recently bought at ALDI... there is a "Teufel decoderstation 3" and a "Teufel Concept E Magnum" attached.
For a few days I was able to use the TOSLINK Connector to hear some sound... but Amarok an many other MP3 had problems... normally saying that "xine wasn't able to initialize the audio device"...
I seems that the onboardsound device (Realtek ALC 888) isn't working properly using Kubuntu... so I'm looking for an PCI Soundcard with an TOSLINK-Out.
The Club 3D Theatron seemed to be a good solution... pretty low price and winning some tests here in Germany...
I don't know whether I can just use the same audiodriver mentioned in Post#12 for an Club3D Theatron... unfortunately this seems to be the only card available in Germany...
The decoderstation has an built in DTS-decoder so I thought about buying the Club 3D Theatron DD 7.1, PCI because there is no need for the DTS-Version.
Could you please tell wheter this card can be used running Kubuntu and how to do this?
Many thanks for reply!
Kind regards
Jens

Hi Jens,

Go to Bluegears web page and use the Linux driver of the b-inspirer.
It should work just fine.
If possible do not use the Toslink and do the mods that I described. Unless you have a Dac that is above $3000 I doubt you will be able to match the sound of the modded card.

Gruss,
Klaus

I wanted to dub some out of print LPs to CD, plus do some listening. My on-board Realtek 97 was so-so, with rather poor s/n ratio. I picked up the E-mu 0202. Once you get used to using 1/4" phone jacks for the line inputs, it's great. There is also one very good mic input and direct monitor outputs without going through the PC (unless you want to). IMO, sound quality is superb, both for recording and playback. Nice headphone amp too. It's 192/24. I've had zero glitch problems and the software coexists with my on-board sound with no problem. Selling price is about $130. Don't know if any mods are possible. This gadget also makes a great test tool for room acoustics and speaker building when teamed up with one of the many scope/spectrum analyzer apps. I use the free Visual Analyser 8.

Emu 0404 USB

The EMU 0404 USB would be your best bet.

I have the onboard PCI version and the sound is already terrific.

The USB version has much more mod potential than just cap or opamp swapping. It should already be better having been freed from being inside a noisy PC environment. Things can be improved further if you build a quieter PSU.

And yes, the 0404 is fitted with the redoubtable AKM4396 converter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.