Mod for DVD player Hi-Rez stereo PCM output - SACD DVD-A HDCD - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2007, 03:04 AM   #101
jims is offline jims  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a follow-up to Ross' post about the mod board. The board is very well designed making it easy to solder, even if your not a pro, and I am not. I found a few good videos on the internet about soldering surface mount compoments and no problems, except for a trace from the top of the clock to the foot. Caused a few hours of frustration, but completely my fault.

A little bit harder was connecting the board to the oppo. I used very thin wire for the signals, 30 AWG wrapping wire, and 22 AWG solid for reset,ground and 3.3V. I connected the heavier wire through the bottom of the mod board ( for support) and the thin wire came in from the top. Make sure you give yourslef enough wire or you might not have enough room between the big caps on the oppo and the mode board. For the 5 V power and ground, I used the connect as per ross instructions. I lifted the white plastic connector housing from the pins on the oppo board. It just slid right up using the blade of a screw driver. I tightly wrapped 1 turn of 22 AWG to the bottom of the exposed pin, crimped and soldered. I then slid the shroud back down over the pins. Make sure the wires are pointing away from the board when you solder, that way they can fit in a little nich on the bottom of the housing. Worked great. Also do not try any wire thicker than 22 awg or you probably will not be able to slide the connector housing down far enough

Some other tips that worked for me

1) make sure the leads going through the board from top to bottom do not stick out too far, and short on the tops of the caps from the oppo. Leave some room or put something to insulate the two boards

2) I used a 3/4" spacer between the corner of the mod board and the corner of the oppo board for support on one end and the 22 awg wire for the leads mentioned above for the other end of the board

3) Get good magnification, and double check all of the solders on the board. I used a binocular microscope....

4) I recommend powering the board up with 5V and checking all of the regulators, before you mount the mod board in the oppo.

5) Be very careful with the ribbon cable that vertically connects to the oppo board. The black piece that holds it in place is pretty fragile.

6) The glue that they put on the connectors of the oppo board is a pain to remove, but if you don't you could bugger up one of the connectors.

How does it sound? Great!! More detailed than before. I think the sound from the oppo actually sounds better also.

Nice work Ross.

JimS
Old 29th April 2007, 04:39 PM   #102
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hello Rossl and everyone else on this thread!

Just came back to my Tokyo home after a trip to Spain (attended a friend's wedding) and Switzerland (where I met another friend), and to my pleasant surprise the 5 x PCB from Rossl were waiting together with a complete set of instructions.

Several of our group members are very busy professionally in their day-jobs, so it will most probably take us some time to get through the building and testing.

In the meantime one of our members bought and installed the following replacement clock into his OPPO DV-981HD http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_Clock.htm and he also did some updates to power supply caps etc. Another DV-981HD has been kept "stock" for comparison purposes. The OPPO is used alternatively for direct output (of SACD and DVD-AUDIO) or via Assemblage Dac 2.7 & Assemblage D2D upsampler.

The Burson clock and power supply update has already been confirmed to provide a solid improvement to the OPPO (better precision, more weight etc.), so the next step will be to build and install the MOD decribed in THIS thread into the unmodified DV-981 HD and compare the two (also against other unmodified DV-981HD units that other group members have availlable).

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burson_5.jpg (44.4 KB, 887 views)
Old 30th April 2007, 09:05 PM   #103
jims is offline jims  United States
diyAudio Member

I am curious what other mods you made to the oppo?

thanks jims
Old 30th April 2007, 10:12 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Hi I'm new to the thread.

Is the upshot of Rossl's mod to provide 96K PCM output via AES from an OPPO for an external DAC to process DVD-A and SACD signals?

From reading the thread, it also appears that disc's with a sampling rate beyond 96khz will not work, or are they just down sampled to 96Khz?

Thank you!

-David
Old 30th April 2007, 11:52 PM   #105
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083
Hi I'm new to the thread.

Is the upshot of Rossl's mod to provide 96K PCM output via AES from an OPPO for an external DAC to process DVD-A and SACD signals?

Yes. You can adapt it for AES, Coax or optical.

Quote:
Originally posted by dw8083

From reading the thread, it also appears that disc's with a sampling rate beyond 96khz will not work, or are they just down sampled to 96Khz?

Thank you!

-David
The earlier version did not work with 192K DVD-Audio. The latest version resamples everything to either 96K or 192K by selecting a jumper on the board. All data rates are resampled with a low jitter clock. I have tested CD, DVD, SACD, and several DVD-Audio sampling rates.
Old 5th May 2007, 03:12 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

are there any more of these boards available?
Old 5th May 2007, 12:20 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

I have two more.

My email is in post 78

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...01#post1165801
Old 8th May 2007, 08:17 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

thanks

sent you an email
Old 10th May 2007, 04:06 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

NOTICE !

All the boards have been sold.

If anyone else wants one we will wait until there is enough interest in another group purchase.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2007, 08:18 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

I want one of the boards - kicking myself for missing out on this - hope there is enough interest to do a group purchase!

Vic

Hide this!Advertise here!