DAC DC blocking capacitor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2007, 05:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question DAC DC blocking capacitor

I'm almost done with my first dac, which is a balanced design based on AK4395. I need dc blocking capacitors in the output of the AK4395, so does anyone have some references for these capacitors? The capacitors should be about 47F (maybe less, depending on resistors/input load). Cheap way would be to use bipolar or electrolytic capacitors, but maybe I'll go with the MKP/MKT ones (damn they are big).

I'm using OPA1632 opamp in the AK4395 output.
On page 24 is the capacitor which I mean

Datasheet
Old 8th February 2007, 01:11 PM   #2
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Most AK4395 chips have under 2mV to no DC offset, so you might get away without the capacitors. If this is not an commercial design, among the best coupling caps I've encountered are old NOS motor run types - they're huge Or get some Black Gates NX type...
Old 9th February 2007, 04:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes
Most AK4395 chips have under 2mV to no DC offset, so you might get away without the capacitors. If this is not an commercial design, among the best coupling caps I've encountered are old NOS motor run types - they're huge Or get some Black Gates NX type...
Datasheet says that during the reset there is Vcom voltage (2.5V DC) in the analog output pins.
Old 9th February 2007, 07:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Can you reference the output stage to Vcom, rather than the DACs ground pin , and so do away with the caps entirely? Just a thought.

I've used, and like, EVOX MMK 47uF caps. OK, still big but they are damn fine sounding when used for coupling.
Old 10th February 2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Can try to bypass with a smaller value cap.
Old 11th February 2007, 07:21 AM   #6
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Quote:
Originally posted by macgyver

Datasheet says that during the reset there is Vcom voltage (2.5V DC) in the analog output pins.
Yes, make sure that you switch off the preamp when turning the DAC on, or power the DAC first. Reset time is very short, you will notice it as a medium loud plop in your speakers.
Old 11th February 2007, 03:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes

Yes, make sure that you switch off the preamp when turning the DAC on, or power the DAC first. Reset time is very short, you will notice it as a medium loud plop in your speakers.

Yes that's clear. So the analog outputs doesn't have the bias voltage (Vcom=2.5V)?

Datasheet tells, that the analog outputs are centered around the Vcom and the Vcom is a signal ground of this chip. So I'm a little confused about bias voltage of the analog outputs. I think there is 2.5V DC at the outputs. But lucpes says there is hardly any offset...
Old 11th February 2007, 04:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Consider this. Given that the dac only has a positive voltage rail, is it possible for it to swing below 0V ?
Old 11th February 2007, 04:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rfbrw
Consider this. Given that the dac only has a positive voltage rail, is it possible for it to swing below 0V ?
No it's not. That's why it should be biased to half of the positive rail. And that's why we need capacitor to block the DC at the output.
Old 11th February 2007, 05:22 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Problem solved. All you have to do now is decide the type of cap to use.

Hide this!Advertise here!