Cooked CS8414???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Last night as an experiment I decided to reduce the voltages in my TDA1543 nonos DAC to 5v from their 8V levels. I istalled two LM7805 regulators in place of the LM7808 regs.

Unfortunately in my haste I installed the 7805 reg for the CS8414 receiver chip backwards. The unit was on for about a minute before I noticed the mistake... Of course the DAC didn't function, and now shows no signal lock on the receiver chips signal lock LED.

I tried putting the original regs back in... it's still a dead DAC.

Have I fried the CS8414??

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your offer to help.

It is one of your DACKITs that I managed to ruin.

I got it prebuilt last year, but decided it was time to start tweaking reducing the voltages to 5 from 8, and changing the 1.6k resistors to 1k ala Kunosoki.

Never thought my tinkering would be fatal ;)

I'm curious why the CS8414 has an 8v supply instead of 5v. My DAC is the SMD version with SMD resistors and receiver chip.

Is it OK to run it (the CS8414) on 5v??

Maybe I should only reduce the 1543 voltage...

The receiver should have a 5V on it If there was an 8V on it then that's an error. Kusunoki chose to run the dac with 5V on the 'Simple Dac', because he wanted to use a 6.5 volt wallwart instead of building something elaborate, like the Bucket Dac had. With 5V supply and 1K you get about 1/2 volt output level @0db, smaller dynamic contrast, higher output Z and higher noise floor.
A couple of guys on some of the forums say 5 is better that 8. I don't argree, but that's their opinion though. Plus neither bought stuff from me, so I'm sure their dacs sound different from the get go. Having seen photos of their dacs, I could find issues, but hey audio is fun, right?
;)

Hi Scott,

Yes, audio should be fun :)

Thanks for the info on Kunosoki's design philosophy. I'm still interested in doing the 5v tweak out of curiosity. However in my case "curiousity killed the DAC" I have a new CS8414 on order to revive poor, dead DACKIT.

There was 8v on the receiver as it was built originally. What effect (if any) would this have on the sound of the DAC??

Thanks

Hi Scott,

Well.... I can assure you the DACKIT works fine with 8v on the receiver :)

Fine that is until the chimp-like owner put a 5v regulator in bassackwards ;)

I'm looking forward to trying out your TDA1541 design if/when it becomes available.

Best Regards,
Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.